Best lightweight plugins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There are a lot of great new plugins, but my old laptop just can't keep up :)

What's you're favorite cpu light synths?

Off the top of my head:

- Parawave Rapid (I stand corrected. I had this running on gpu which is something not everyone will be able to do. When using CPU, it's not quite as lightweight as I originally thought)
- Sonic Academy Ana 2
- Synapse Audio Dune 3 (this is probably lighter than sylenth1)
- Melda MSoundFactory

That's the few I can attest that I can run multiple instances with no issues. I'm sure there's others
Last edited by Skandiluz on Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yo.

Sylenth1. Don't look further. Anything else takes more CPU these days.

+1 for Sylenth. I have this running on a 5 year old Windows tablet with 1 GB RAM, with hardly a blip in CPU.

Synthedit stuff, lately I have great fun with his one:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VI0SsP55gCA

What works without overload on my older tablet has been:
Pianoteq
Harmor
AAS VS3/Strum 2
Korg Legacy Collection

I'm sure others I own may have been optimized since the last time I installed and removed them from that tablet. But what I listed has proven to be good enough to travel with.

Valhalla VintageVerb. It uses 0.3 CPU (in Reaper) on my 10 years old i7.

Sylenth
FM8
Icarus
Zebra

Beepstreet Sunrizer is incredibly cpu efficient and sounds great

Skandiluz wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:04 pm - Synapse Audio Dune 3 (this is probably lighter than sylenth1)
Dune 3 is lighter than sylenth1. Use same number of unison voices and compare. You all will be surprised.

Skandiluz wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:04 pm Off the top of my head:

- Parawave Rapid
- Sonic Academy Ana 2
- Melda MSoundFactory

That's the few I can attest that I can run multiple instances with no issues. I'm sure there's others
Parawave Rapid is most certainly not cpu friendly, but sounds great :wink:

I had a good experience with HY-Poly which is brand new and worth a try sound-wise.

a9k1tp wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:53 pm
Skandiluz wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:04 pm - Synapse Audio Dune 3 (this is probably lighter than sylenth1)
Dune 3 is lighter than sylenth1. Use same number of unison voices and compare. You all will be surprised.
I'm sure it is. I haven't done a side by side of dune and sylenth but I know dune was crazy low on cpu.
docbot wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:04 pm
Skandiluz wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:04 pm Off the top of my head:

- Parawave Rapid
- Sonic Academy Ana 2
- Melda MSoundFactory

Parawave Rapid is most certainly not cpu friendly, but sounds great :wink:
It's just a matter of my opinion based on my system. I didn't do any thorough testing but I was able to run just as many instances of rapid as I was dune without any hiccups. I'll probably try it on my older desktop as that one has a much older cpu.

Rapid does sound fantastic though and I can't wait to purchase it
Last edited by Skandiluz on Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yo.

a9k1tp wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:53 pm
Indeed. And incredibly superior in terms of features while doing that.

docbot wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:47 pm but my old laptop just can't keep up :)
Maybe you should give the specs on your old laptop. It's possible the suggestions given here might still be too much for a considerably older CPU.

But for lightweight even on a 15 year old system Synth 1 can't be beat (not to be confused with Sylenth 1).
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”