Tips for Hybrid-style soundscapes/breakbeats

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm attempting to remix a friend's track in a breakbeat style and am trying to use Hybrid's early work (i.e. the Wide Angle album) as inspiration, but I'm really struggling with creating more complex sounds, especially for an intro. Are there any tips for this kind of thing?

Any and all advice would be appreciated!

I remember hearing some of Hybrid's early remixes on Hooj Choons, and i thought "it has a ridiculous amount of reverb on the drums/snare".
Compared to everything else i'd heard, trance, progressive, breakbeat, Hybrid remixes on Hooj had a ridiculous amount of reverb.

Hope that helps.

Spring Goose wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:48 pm Hybrid remixes on Hooj had a ridiculous amount of reverb.

Hope that helps.
I really don't mean to be rude but that wasn't quite the kind of thing I was looking for, since I don't have the sounds to put the reverb on in the first place. Thanks anyway, though

I just thought the reverb is part of Hybrid's signature sound in Hybrid's early work.

Any and all advice would be appreciated!

I don't know the album, only Finished Symphony to which the intro is an orchestral strings instrument.

Huge fan of that record, and Hybrid in general. Although it's been a while since I've listened to it, symphonic instruments like violins, cellos and other "classical" instruments are a big part of the sound. Two ways to get those sounds if you don't actually play the instrument. Sampling from a recording (youtube or archive.org) or a symphonic virtual instrument. Also, if I remember correctly, they were big into the Korg Trinity/Triton and other "expensive" sounding workstation keyboards/romplers. Those boards tended to have lots of big complex sounds. You might be able to find some samples of those.

ryantheaudioguy wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:50 pm Huge fan of that record, and Hybrid in general. Although it's been a while since I've listened to it, symphonic instruments like violins, cellos and other "classical" instruments are a big part of the sound. Two ways to get those sounds if you don't actually play the instrument. Sampling from a recording (youtube or archive.org) or a symphonic virtual instrument. Also, if I remember correctly, they were big into the Korg Trinity/Triton and other "expensive" sounding workstation keyboards/romplers. Those boards tended to have lots of big complex sounds. You might be able to find some samples of those.
You can get Korg Triton VST instrument now.

Return to “Production Techniques”