Synapse Audio OBSESSION is now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Obsession

I guess he has to work out if those new users are worth the amount of time/money spent on making the changes. I doubt it is quick fix.

rezoneight wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:48 pm
AnX wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:20 am start a petition ( Rich has said he has no interest in those types of browsers, change his mind!)
Always a good idea to listen to what your customers are asking for. There is always a trade-off in how you spend your time no matter what size company you are but spending a bit of time on implementing some of this stuff not only would help push a few more licenses out the door but make it easier for your users as a whole. Doesn't require a wholesale redesign of the thing. Since he's expecting us to buy this stuff to give him money to live on always a good idea to listen, especially when you have easy, direct access to the customer.
It is a company that also sells Preset Banks.
Actually are there many other software synth still in development say over $75US that still has such a basic preset browser? ( I know Tal stuff still does, but they are much cheaper. I know Air Music stuff does but well... their price varies greatly at different times).

(Thought of a few that do:
Rapid also has a basic preset browser but have committed to changing that.
Massive X too has that commitment
Spire is also working on theirs)
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
sound sculptist

Well, from the past observations, I can conclude that nothing will change except of bugs fixes, so its really take it or leave it policy ;)

EnGee wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:14 pm Well, from the past observations, I can conclude that nothing will change except of bugs fixes, so its really take it or leave it policy ;)
I suspect you are indeed right.
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

AnX wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:20 am start a petition ( Rich has said he has no interest in those types of browsers, change his mind!)
Always a good idea to listen to what your customers are asking for. There is always a trade-off in how you spend your time no matter what size company you are but spending a bit of time on implementing some of this stuff not only would help push a few more licenses out the door but make it easier for your users as a whole. Doesn't require a wholesale redesign of the thing. Since he's expecting us to buy this stuff to give him money to live on always a good idea to listen, especially when you have easy, direct access to the customer.
im sure he does listen, but i doubt any dev adds every request.

if he thinks current sales are fine, the time v money equation might not work for him, or may not be the direction he wants to go. It's his company, and all the products have a demo......

AnX wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:34 pm

if he thinks current sales are fine, the time v money equation might not work for him, or may not be the direction he wants to go. It's his company, and all the products have a demo......
I didn't suggest he just adds every request. I do this for a living and know for certain thats not how it works. That doesn't mean you don't consider how to deliver some of the functionality that some customers are asking for. Improving usability for a product is always a win, especially when someone is shipping hundreds of presets with an instrument (or in the case of Dune over 1000). And you do it right and do it once and share the browser among your products (for instance...u-He). Its a one-time investment and not rocket science. But yeah at the end of the day its his company and he can do what he wants. I just dont think thats a great way to operate when you're selling to consumers.

cb8rwh wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:53 pm I guess he has to work out if those new users are worth the amount of time/money spent on making the changes. I doubt it is quick fix.
Nobody is suggesting it is a quick fix but it always depends on how much you want to do. As noted in the other post I just made done correctly this is a one-time thing that could easily be resused among your product set. and they're shipping products that ship with hundreds of presets. But as noted its his company.

Always a good idea to listen to what your customers are asking for.
You are absolutely correct so Richard please listen when I ask don't waste one second of valuable development time on a Browser since I know how to handle files in the current system. Please spend that time on adding features that actually affect the range of sounds D3 can make.

But seriously everyone has their own favorite feature requests. The list is far longer than just a Browser so Synapse has to balance the amount of work required versus the return on investment.

Is anyone who passed on Dune 3's incredibly high quality sound just because it doesn't have a browser going to buy it just because one is added ? I don't know maybe so but how many that's the question.

I'll share this little story...for years people hounded Mike of Admiral Quality to change the GUI of Poly-Ana and I was one of them although I had already purchased it. So he finally relented and made a non backwards tilt GUI that could be fully skinned. Afterwards he expressed his disappointment that he saw almost no additional sales for his efforts despite fulfilling the number one feature request.

So the moral of the story is "I want a Browser" does not automatically equal "I will buy Dune 3 if it gets a browser".

Like I said before I hope everybody gets their favorite feature requests granted but Synapse is a small company with multiple products including Rack Extensions so it's just a question of manpower and return on investment. They can accomplish only so much so don't resent them if your favorite request is not granted.

My favorite request for .sfz import has not been granted and possibly never will be but in no way does that reduce my enjoyment of Dune 3 which I consider the finest synth I've ever owned hardware or software.

All you can do is make your feature requests in an informative, polite, and respectful manner and hope for the best. Good luck to all..... :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

rezoneight wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:15 pm
AnX wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:34 pm

I didn't suggest he just adds every request. I do this for a living and know for certain thats not how it works. That doesn't mean you don't consider how to deliver some of the functionality that some customers are asking for. Improving usability for a product is always a win, especially when someone is shipping hundreds of presets with an instrument (or in the case of Dune over 1000). And you do it right and do it once and share the browser among your products (for instance...u-He). Its a one-time investment and not rocket science. But yeah at the end of the day its his company and he can do what he wants. I just dont think thats a great way to operate when you're selling to consumers.

well, you can't please everyone (I'm pretty sure Rich isn't a fan of that type of browser anyway, I'll happily stand corrected) and customers have a choice.... but surely the quality of the synth is the priority here, its not like its difficult to browse presets as is.... and I bet if you ask the highly revered uhe, they will tell you a browser overhaul us not a small job.

Teksonik wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:15 am
revvy wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:45 am Omni is a good comparison for the browser,
Sure compare the features if you must but I don't think it's fair to compare the companies.

My thing is that Richard is a very talented synth designer. To have him pounding away at a Browser that will not add to the sound of any synth in any way just seems like a waste of time and talent.

When we make a feature request we don't know if it's a few lines of code or a few months of coding.

But like I said I hope everybody gets their favorite feature requests granted but I don't know if Synapse has the man hours to make everyone happy. :shrug:
Synapse now has three very successful plugins under their belt. What you’re talking about maybe didn’t make sense when it was only Dune, but now... it could make sense if the code could be shared among plugins.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

AnX wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:30 pm well, you can't please everyone (I'm pretty sure Rich isn't a fan of that type of browser anyway, I'll happily stand corrected) and customers have a choice.... but surely the quality of the synth is the priority here, its not like its difficult to browse presets as is.... and I bet if you ask the highly revered uhe, they will tell you a browser overhaul us not a small job.
I also expect if we asked Urs he'd say it was a one-time job that they can now use on just about any project they do. Again I didn't suggest it should be an "overhaul". Whatever, the horse is dead. No use beating it any further.

But I think it's cute you guys want to keep protecting Richard's time. Very sweet.

rezoneight wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:44 pm
AnX wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:30 pm well, you can't please everyone (I'm pretty sure Rich isn't a fan of that type of browser anyway, I'll happily stand corrected) and customers have a choice.... but surely the quality of the synth is the priority here, its not like its difficult to browse presets as is.... and I bet if you ask the highly revered uhe, they will tell you a browser overhaul us not a small job.
I also expect if we asked Urs he'd say it was a one-time job that they can now use on just about any project they do. Again I didn't suggest it should be an "overhaul". Whatever, the horse is dead. No use beating it any further.

But I think it's cute you guys want to keep protecting Richard's time. Very sweet.
he protects his own business, it's none of mine, no sweetness there.

I bet AnX often gets compliments on his sweetness ;)

Now that I know that the lack of arrow preset browsing is a Mac bug rather than a feature, that's my only request for Richard to please fix (as it seems that the extra mod slots is already in the pipeline)
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:53 am I bet AnX often gets compliments on his sweetness ;)
something like that :hihi:

EnGee wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:14 pm Well, from the past observations, I can conclude that nothing will change except of bugs fixes, so its really take it or leave it policy ;)
The Legend 1.3.1
New in this update is the parameter "Lock" feature, which has been frequently requested. Locked parameters keep their value across preset changes. This can be useful for parameters like the mod wheel, pitch bend range or effect on/off button, among others.

Furthermore, UI performance on the Mac has been improved in this update.

The Legend 1.3
- ProTools AAX version added.
- 8-voice mode for higher polyphony.
- Host Tempo sync switch added for OSC 3 in LO mode.
- Modwheel source added to the modulation matrix.
- Initial phase of all oscillators can be adjusted on the back panel.
- AVX support for optimal performance (requires a processor with AVX).
- Improved Retina support on the Mac (required OS X 10.9 or higher).
- Preset library increased to 530 patches total.
- Pitch Bend range increased to +/- 48 semitones.

The Legend 1.2
This update adds support for Native Instruments' NKS, introduces a new Performance matrix on the back panel to increase the expressiveness of the instrument, and supports Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression (MPE) when in Poly mode.

The Legend 1.07
This update introduces Legend FX, an effect plug-in to allow The Legend's high-quality filters to be used as an insert effect in the DAW. Furthermore, a MIDI Learn feature for knobs and switches (right-click) has been added to override the default assignments.
Stormchild

Return to “Instruments”