RAPID Synthesizer | Rapid 1.8.0 released | Free "SP - Granular Elements"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

parawave wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:42 pm
bmanic wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:23 amWould be nice if Rapid implemented the matrix 'amount' field as a modulation target. That would make it immensely more powerful. Then simply introduce a modulation mapper function so that the user can exactly scale any modulation to their liking and suddenly Rapid would be a lot more capable. :)
No need to put so much effort into lenghtly post. We don't deny the practical use of any feature request. It's just a matter of priority. It will definitely come at some point.

To give you a litte insight about the decision process: We decided to favor Granular Synthesis over MSEGs and Custom Routings because it simply offered a greater palette of possible sounds. There were also a lot of customesr requesting a Granular Oscillator. So it came first.

At the moment you can already do a lot of linear keymapping stuff by just using keyfollow on LFO / Sequence depth, or velocity, or keyfollow on mix gain / pan. We will think about something cool that suits Rapids workflow. It will be some kind of hybrid between keymapping curves and a "via control". In short: Two operators, one function, one target.
Good choice. In the grand scheme of things, having more actual synthesis techniques under the same roof is always more valuable. The modulation system in Rapid is already sufficient enough for most common tasks. My posts were simply expressing my own personal thoughts and feelings on why I haven't yet purchased Rapid. It was on my radar already a while ago.

When it comes to synthesis requirements I'm probably quite biased as my first ever synth that I put a lot of effort into and programming was the Kurzweil K2000 which was/is immensely flexible (but also limited in some regards). I can definitely understand that the majority do not have my requirements. However, ask your sound designers of what they think. I'd be quite surprised if some of them don't feel like they've ran into "a wall" sometimes when making sounds for Rapid, purely from a modulation/expression point of view.

I'm very interested in the development of Rapid now that it is so fleshed out and has so much potential. One of the main reasons being the really good CPU usage/optimization. I'd like to replace some of the other synths I have available due to simple convenience. Would love to be able to do the things I did with Camel Audio Alchemy (mainly it's modulation system) in a new modern synth with all the cool wavetable stuff.

The quickest way to make Rapid a lot more flexible is to simply add all modulation slots as modulation targets. It's a single feature but very powerful. No idea how hard that would be to implement as I don't know your code/framework. :)

Bonus feature would be a modulation "mapper" where you could take any modulation input and scale it according to your own wishes.

EDIT: Forgot to thank you for the good demo! It's very nice to be able to go through all the parameters. 20 minutes seems like a really good demo time and it's much nicer than constant noise bursts or similar. Being able to save presets but not load them would be a further refinement to the demo that could be nice for some people but personally the lack of saving doesn't bother me.
Last edited by bmanic on Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

exmatproton wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:25 pm
bmanic wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:23 am
Good point. Now try turning that around with keytracking first. :-)
Tried it, and came up with this (which should suffice, although with a workaround, hehehe);

(p.s.; the R4 setting isn't necessary, because the velo-depth is part of the env. But i just wanted to show that more is possible)

thisispossible.JPG
Good choice! It feels almost the same as scaling them in series on a similar sound in VPS Avenger. Probably just a matter of tweaking the levels to match something similar.

Good creative thinking. :tu:
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

5Lives wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:59 pm Perhaps somebody could help me with a sound design question - in other synths, I can use a MSEG with a decay curve type of setting mapped to pitch to get a sort of long pitch down type of sound (think of a downer transition in a cinematic context). What's the easiest way to do that in Rapid right now without an MSEG? Thanks!
You can use the sequencers to come to similar effects. With the left mouse drag, you edit the left point. With the right mouse drag, you edit the right point. Quite easy.

The sequencers can be triggered, untriggered, locked to bpm, or free. It is not entirely free-form, but in effect, you can get the same

Those sequencers are awesome! I never used Massive, but I thought the performer LFOs were always cool. Rapid's sequencer is _exactly_ what I wanted – way less fiddly than MSEGs. I am looking forward to see how Parawave gives us MSEGs, but hopefully with the same quick workflow as other parts...

Also big +1 to mod mapper for extra mod control.

Rapid is an interesting tool for sound design with so many synthesis options.
This is a single preset using the newest granular capability's (1.8).

Many layers, lots of modulation, and internal fx, CPU is surprisingly not bad.

https://soundcloud.com/vintage-synth-pa ... ynthesizer

rezoneight wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:20 pm
Fette Töle wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:52 am Does anybody know how to purchase Rapid with credit card without having to create a paypal account? According to their checkout page this should be possible ("You want to pay with your credit cart? PayPal offers credit card payments with and without registering a PayPal account."), but everytime I try to complete the purchase, the paypal page forces me to create an account, which i won't do.
I had this same problem in Firefox but switched to something else (think it was Chrome) and it worked as expected. in FF it bounced me to the login page. In Chrome it took me to the or pay with credit card screen.
Thanks, switching to Chrome solved my problem (and made me 113 € poorer :wink: )

Dirtgrain wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:43 pm You can go through the Paypal link, electing not to create a Paypal account, and use your credit card.
The poster wasn't getting that screen, they were being bounced right to the main paypal page which also happened to me with Firefox.

PatchAdamz wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:01 pm Rapid is an interesting tool for sound design with so many synthesis options.
This is a single preset using the newest granular capability's (1.8).

Many layers, lots of modulation, and internal fx, CPU is surprisingly not bad.

https://soundcloud.com/vintage-synth-pa ... ynthesizer
That sounds awesome. :-)

Anyone is able to drag and drop their own samples for granular synthesis in the Demo version? Doesn't seem to work here, no matter what I try... Am I missing something here? :shrug:

exmatproton wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:03 pmYou can use the sequencers to come to similar effects. With the left mouse drag, you edit the left point. With the right mouse drag, you edit the right point. Quite easy.

The sequencers can be triggered, untriggered, locked to bpm, or free. It is not entirely free-form, but in effect, you can get the same
Ok, I got a ramp down - would be nice to be able to set a sequence to length of 1 instead of being minimum 2. Is there a way to make a custom curve of the line or can you only select the preset curves?

Granular Elements isnt showing up in my library. did i not get it when i got the new update?

StrikerTheFoxy wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:16 am Granular Elements isnt showing up in my library. did i not get it when i got the new update?
You have to download it separately. It appears below the older versions of Rapid on your downloads page.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:47 am
StrikerTheFoxy wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:16 am Granular Elements isnt showing up in my library. did i not get it when i got the new update?
You have to download it separately. It appears below the older versions of Rapid on your downloads page.
ah, gotcha. I always look at the top because I'm used to the newer stuff being on top. lol.

Neon Breath wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:36 pm Anyone is able to drag and drop their own samples for granular synthesis in the Demo version? Doesn't seem to work here, no matter what I try... Am I missing something here? :shrug:
I'm not sure if there is a better way, but here is a way (the only way?) to import:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izhvutu8HY8&t=804s

Instead of resynthesis, choose sample option.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

5Lives wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:03 am
exmatproton wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:03 pmYou can use the sequencers to come to similar effects. With the left mouse drag, you edit the left point. With the right mouse drag, you edit the right point. Quite easy.

Ok, I got a ramp down - would be nice to be able to set a sequence to length of 1 instead of being minimum 2. Is there a way to make a custom curve of the line or can you only select the preset curves?
yeah, no freeform waveforms. So you get to choose between preset curves. It is no MSEG ;)

But you can change the start and end points with the left/right mouse drag actions

Return to “Instruments”