Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

Anyway - thanks for the dark/orange skin - now it finally looks like part of Bitwig - something I'd always hoped for.

Something I'd not noticed before but does the ladder filter have some sort of resonance gain compensation because it doesn't seem to drop in volume like Ladder filters normally do at high res?

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:59 pm So there's no VST2 now? That's a pity as I use this in Komplete Kontrol which doesn't support other formats. Is it possible to install this but keep the earlier version VST2 running as well?
Yep there's no VST2 now. You can still build it yourself if you have a properly licensed VST2 SDK.

Never mind so far the VST2 still seems to work

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:11 pm Something I'd not noticed before but does the ladder filter have some sort of resonance gain compensation because it doesn't seem to drop in volume like Ladder filters normally do at high res?
We haven’t changed the filter and I don’t know if it has gain compensation

The VST2 - yes we no longer distribute a binary. In theory 1.6.6 vst2 should work after a 1.7.0 install still but you may see some non-working FX in the FX menu since they share a configuration. BUT if you install the VST3 portably and then re-install 1.6.6 with the VST2 only you should be fine (if you are on windows). Info on the portable install in the manual. Also if you have a VST2SDK license you can build the VST2 from our source tree yourself. We just don’t distribute a binary. You can read all about that here: https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/formats

Finally, glad you like the dark skin! We have more skins in the hopper for the 1.7 family over the next spell.

Im getting an antivirus warning it contains FileRepMalware, I dont think Ive ever exncountered one of these with an installer before.

I assume its a false positive but thought it best to check.

Edit: Just downloaded the nightly build and I get no warning
Amazon: why not use an alternative

so, there is no longer a VST 2 version?

I'm getting a warning about the default skin not being installed, although it looks fine to me. I tried to rescan for skins from the menu but I get even more warnings. Plus, I don't see a dark skin installed.

I installed the AU. Should I also install the VST to get the skins working properly?
Screenshot 2020-07-28 at 22.03.56.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:57 pm Im getting an antivirus warning it contains FileRepMalware, I dont think Ive ever exncountered one of these with an installer before.

I got 5 warning detections (windows version)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

akira2 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:10 pm
VariKusBrainZ wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:57 pm Im getting an antivirus warning it contains FileRepMalware, I dont think Ive ever exncountered one of these with an installer before.

I got 5 warning detections (windows version)
Hi just downloaded again and indeed got that for the 64 bit and one for the 32 bit.
rsp
sound sculptist

I scanned the installer with Bitdefender Total Security and it shows clean.

AVG and Avast are essentially the same thing now so that should only count as one. I'm not familiar with Qihoo-360 or BKav but I have the feeling they're not top level apps. Never used AegisLab.

EDIT: I submitted the installer to AVG for Whitelisting.

BKav is a Vietnamese AV company. (not saying that's a bad thing but probably why it's unknown around here).

EDIT 2: Just got this warning. Doing a full system scan now.

BD 072820-1.png

-----

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2016-3718
Last edited by Teksonik on Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

baconpaul wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:27 pm We have more skins in the hopper for the 1.7 family over the next spell.
:tu:

Is there a specific reason that macos minimum version is now 10.12 instead of 10.11? Seems my MacBook is now out of the game.

phazed wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:47 pm Is there a specific reason that macos minimum version is now 10.12 instead of 10.11? Seems my MacBook is now out of the game.
Our test suite won't compile with 10.11; the plugin will though. Ahh but I have to back out a couple of C++-17isms which we put in in 1.7.0. So "there is a good reason right now" but "we can back that reason down if be back down to C++-14 which I can do easily enough" (EDIT: The reason to go to C++17 was to make VS2019 work reliably. So fixing this will be a bit nuanced but I am now convinced we can get there. I have a C++14 working on linux and mac no problem)

But I will add a 1.7.1 issue to bring us back to C++-14 and 10.11 (or maybe even reach back to 10.9). Will let you know here if I have a test candidate.

Here's the Xcode issue. Will see what we can do for 1.7.1 (and the nightly). Thanks! https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/2378
Last edited by baconpaul on Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hey folks just a note: Some people noticed that VST3 for live for mac wasn't working - we knew this and couldn't fix it. But we actually figured out a fix after the release. So if you are a Live for MAC user, either (1) use the AU; (2) use the nightly VST3; (3) use 1.6.6 VST3 or (4) wait for 1.7.1. Thanks!

Return to “Instruments”