So what's next for U-He?

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, the thing is, one of my concepts for GeoMorphing in Z3 is about having waveforms with variable number of points / segments. As such the idea is that corresponding points between adjacent waveforms can be marked, like, this point becomes that point, that one goes there. This in itself is a superset of windowed stretching, also because I'm pondering about letting regions overlap. But of course there'll only be one dimension of freedom for modulations.

As for oscillator effects, I think I want to rewrite most of them, drop a few and make some new ones. Maybe we will add a second dimension of control, such that a few of them can be combined into one.

Urs wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:30 pm All our plug-ins are important to me. Bazille, Uhbik, MFM and Filterscape have yet to receive our new browser treatment, Bazille and Uhbik are almost there, MFM and Filterscape will follow.
Where do you see Filterscape VA going after the browser update? New filter types? New mod matrix? Digital-esque oscillators? Or is that way off? Just curious. It’s one of my favs.

masterhiggins wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:14 am
Urs wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:30 pm All our plug-ins are important to me. Bazille, Uhbik, MFM and Filterscape have yet to receive our new browser treatment, Bazille and Uhbik are almost there, MFM and Filterscape will follow.
Where do you see Filterscape VA going after the browser update? New filter types? New mod matrix? Digital-esque oscillators? Or is that way off? Just curious. It’s one of my favs.
Our foremost focus is on the UI itself.

I might be able to leverage some of the work done for Z3/Uhbik filters but can't promise anything just yet. Our current dev schedule has more than 20 projects including minor updates, general features and NKS adaptions; I don't really know what we can for in where and when until I/we get to the point of working on the subject.

Urs wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:04 am Well, the thing is, one of my concepts for GeoMorphing in Z3 is about having waveforms with variable number of points / segments. As such the idea is that corresponding points between adjacent waveforms can be marked, like, this point becomes that point, that one goes there. This in itself is a superset of windowed stretching, also because I'm pondering about letting regions overlap. But of course there'll only be one dimension of freedom for modulations.

As for oscillator effects, I think I want to rewrite most of them, drop a few and make some new ones. Maybe we will add a second dimension of control, such that a few of them can be combined into one.
Whatever you do , don not delete the phase distortion effect and the dx effect , and while we're at it also keep the self feedback fm effect (scambler ? )
:tu:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I´m a really big fan of Bazilles Oscillators... the freedom they provide you with is examplary. Use it in the range from 0Hz to 20kHz as Waveshaper, LFO or as "regular" Oscillator. It has built in PhaseDistortion, self-FM, self-AM... as a matter of fact it has self-Everything (PD, Pitch, AM, FM/PM, Fracalize)... Then with the TapMap you get custom waveshapes OR just use it to draw in precise harmonics :love: .
Then the Pitch options are also amazing (Overtones, Undertones, Multiply, fixed Hz offset, etc. ...) AND who can forget the Fractalize...

I would love to see a merger of the Bazille and Zebra Oscillator for Zebra 3... that would be awesome. :pray:

EDIT: I would love to see a merger of the Hive, Zebra and Bazille Oscillator.... :-)
Last edited by operator on Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone knows more than I do...

operator wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:42 am I´m a really big fan of Bazilles Oscillators... the freedom they provide you with is examplary. Use it in the range from 0Hz to 20kHz as Waveshaper, LFO or as "regular" Oscillator. It has built in PhaseDistortion, self-FM, self-AM... as a matter of fact it has self-Everything (PD, Pitch, AM, FM/PM, Fracalize)... Then with the TapMap you get custom waveshapes OR just use it to draw in precise harmonics :love: .
Then the Pitch options are also amazing (Overtones, Undertones, Multiply, fixed Hz offset, etc. ...) AND who can forget the Fractalize...

I would love to see a merger of the Bazille and Zebra Oscillator for Zebra 3... that would be awesome. :pray:
Yeah... Bazille's Osc are amazing... and the sound quality is :love: :love: :love:

vitocorleone123 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:03 am
Urs wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:05 am
blue monk wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:19 am Is the Octave Cat off the table ?
The idea died when many people made clear that monophonic synthesizer plug-ins were not anything they'd buy into. The Cat project was shelved in favour of the Repro-5 project, i.e. a polyphonic version of Repro-1.

We'll resurrect it maybe after we clear our backlog of releases and updates.
It’s too bad people are crazy! Of course, as a small business, if there’s no market demand then that’s not a wise thing to chase.

I love and use Pro-1 easily as much as my SE-02. Those are generally the only dedicated monosynths I use on a regular basis.

(Of course Repro-5 and Hive are my favorite software polys, though I should give more love to Diva than I often do).
"Crazy", I wouldn't say that. It is understandable that if you have a softsynth and it does not need 100% CPU for a single voice (wouldn't be received well by customers), you immediately think, why can't I have more voices and play chords if my CPU can handle it?
Whatever the reasoning of not doing that, I think this is one of several examples in live where the intuitive response is creating a disadvantage.

Exactly that might be the case with monophonic soft synths: Lead sounds are monophonic. And the lead is the most important thing (if there is a lead. Sometimes a bass line replaces the lead – also monophonic...). And most soft synths are not good at it. There is a huge gap in the toolchain.
Of course, that would have to be communicated well so that people get it.

Same applies to bass sounds, perhaps to an even greater extent. The SH101 can deliver a great 1 OSC bass. How many soft synths can do that?

What I miss the most in software are synths that are great delivering strong lead sounds (and bass).
Unison is the usual approach, I suppose. That is a particular sound though (limited) and even if you are going for that sound, the results are not always that great.
If you want a (non 7+ voice unison) lead that is interesting because of modulation or a powerful basic OSC sound, then I I am not happy with soft synths.
I guess, modulations are pretty CPU intensive. At higher rates, where sounds start to get interesting, soft synths seem to mess up. The Roland System 100 VST sounds amazing to me in the lower registers. For leads with more high frequencies, my impression is that it sounds digitally harsh (I might be wrong, just an impression, 100% subjective).

Repro 1 does a great job. However, I did have a hardware Pro One and it was just not my type of sound.

Since the Pro One sound is not my taste, I was now considering buying a license for Roland's SH101 or/and System100 soft synths.
Roland has made that choice for me since the SH101 and System100 plugins can no longer be purchased.

The other option is hardware. I would prefer software because of automation, physical desk space and price.

If I had a wish for a soft synth, it would be a synth that combines the best of the SH7, SH3 (flexible OSC, not sure but perhaps that SH7 is equal) and SH5 (bandpass).
And if that is too CPU in poly, then I would take it as mono, although I would assume it makes sense of letting the user choose poly in preferences if the computer can handle it (if you think of multithreading and the MacPro or a PC with a powerful AMD CPU, you could do a lot more than someone with a less expensive computer).
I am not going to argue about polyphony though.
I need a better synth for leads and bass. These sounds are monophonic. Repro 1 could be that but it does not address that particular sound character that I am looking for.

As for the SH101 sound: The System 100m is sometimes referred to as the modular version with that sound. I don't know if that is true. But that would make it interesting as there is more variety in sound (obviously).
MC202 is allegedly similar, have not compared 1:1 (the 202 sounds massive. I do have a sampling CD of that thing - raw power). I wouldn't expect any developer modelling the MC202. It's is great but marketability...

Before you answer:
I am aware that the number one most crucial point is that a product needs to be sold to keep the lights on. And then there is Urs' personal interest*.
I am just sharing some thought of my personal interest. It is not a list of demands. ;)
I probably have to buy hardware – or I need to get better at getting the best out of the soft synths that I have. Or both. ;)

* I think I recall Urs mentioning that the 800DV is one of his favourites. If there was a soft synth convincingly emulating the 700s, 800DV or Korg 770, I would be pretty likely to buy that. I course I can only speak for myself (one license sold won't finance such a project).

If anyone remembers that announced monophonic hardware synth with Jupiter 6 filter, please let me know. I can't remember and if I google it, I only find Eurorack modules.
Last edited by blue monk on Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

If you want an SH-101 sound in a plugin, get TAL BassLine-101 instead. It's killer :)

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:17 pm If you want an SH-101 sound in a plugin, get TAL BassLine-101 instead. It's killer :)
I tried it before and I will probably do that again. I wasn't 100% convinced last time around.

IMHO he nailed it. At lower CPU than Roland. And also added polyphony and MPE!
Last edited by EvilDragon on Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:17 pm If you want an SH-101 sound in a plugin, get TAL BassLine-101 instead. It's killer :)
oooor D16.

Ploki wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:28 pm
oooor D16.
Yeah they didn't nail the SH-101 sound. It's many things but not a 101.

Ploki wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:28 pm
oooor D16.
D16 Lush101 does deliver some inspiring sounds for Techno. But it didn't blow my mind.
I have their 303 emulation Phoscyon. I haven't used it enough to make a final call here. For 303 sounds, I have planned a hardware that I find convincing and affordable. With the 303, the magic happens in that last 10%. Any synth can do TB-like sounds. But they are just not good. If you take the Behringer TB hardware, it sounds very similar, I give it that, but is not close enough, so if someone would give me one for free, I wouldn't use it. I don't want to ruin my music. Their Octave Cat seems worthy.

Given the current timing of things, have you considered adding an OB-Xa osc and filter to Diva? Or in general adding more modules.

Sure, we consider a lot of things. But there are certainly more interesting choices.

Return to “u-he”