XLN Audio - XO - Improvement, Pros, Cons

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I downloaded the demo. I then proceeded to point it to my "music creation" master folder, which contains a bajillion samples from Komplete 12 Ultimate, Omnisphere, and a bunch of other libraries I own. Its been sorting my sounds for over an hour now :hihi:

yellowmix wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:29 pm
colabean wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:53 pm Can XO be easily used as a 'sample searcher' to be used in conjunction with a *different* method of sequencing?
Yes, as good as the sequencing is, that's primarily how I use it. You can drag and drop directly from the export panel to Battery, Geist, your DAW timeline, etc.. You can drag a entire kit into Battery and Geist (haven't tried others) and it will automatically arrange across cells.
Thats pretty cool about the dragging entire kits onto Battery. One big limitation of XO is only 8 slots, but this means you can drag two different kits into one battery kit, or even 3 kits. So I can use XO to find and build kits, then simply use Battery to trigger them. Pretty neat!

You can also drag individual samples straight from the cloud into another VST. That's super fast. XO just plays extremely well with others.

gondii wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:53 am You can also drag individual samples straight from the cloud into another VST. That's super fast. XO just plays extremely well with others.
That's an excellent way to make unique and interesting sounds simply by dragging any sound from XO directly into Pigments 2 or ANA 2. :tu:

I am using the latest version of XO and I realized that sometimes I hear no sound when I click/navigate in the XO Space. The click pointer appears like a big circle. When I drag my mouse, no sound comes. Anyone else facing this? There is no scan pending for my libraries if that matters.

Using XO as a VST inside FL Studio latest version.

Anyone willing to trade presets? Would love to see what kind of patterns other users are coming up with

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:39 am I am using the latest version of XO and I realized that sometimes I hear no sound when I click/navigate in the XO Space. The click pointer appears like a big circle. When I drag my mouse, no sound comes. Anyone else facing this? There is no scan pending for my libraries if that matters.

What is the scaling of XO? I have this problem of not being able to select anything if I don't start at 100% zoom. I can change the zoom after opening XO at 100%. I mustn't forget to reset back to 100% when I close XO. And yes, this was already reported as a bug months ago.

Rivanni wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:22 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:39 am I am using the latest version of XO and I realized that sometimes I hear no sound when I click/navigate in the XO Space. The click pointer appears like a big circle. When I drag my mouse, no sound comes. Anyone else facing this? There is no scan pending for my libraries if that matters.

What is the scaling of XO? I have this problem of not being able to select anything if I don't start at 100% zoom. I can change the zoom after opening XO at 100%. I mustn't forget to reset back to 100% when I close XO. And yes, this was already reported as a bug months ago.
Thanks for the information. But before I read your message, I did a forced re-scan of my entire library, which I did not want but that's only thing I could think of. To my surprise, the problem disappeared and I could hear the sound when dragging in the XO Space. I still need to verify this by opening the XO VST in my DAW.

Next time this happens, I will try out your suggestion.

I had dropped an email to XO too and got this suggestion:
What if you search your computer for XO.dll and remove that file, then run the Online Installer and let it repair your XO and see if it works as it should.
When emailing back to them, I will mention both my and your observations and hopefully they will look into it. Forced re-scan isn't amusing at all, so worst case, I hope your scaling suggestion solves the problem next time it happens, and that too only until they fix the actual thing.

Oof yeah, it took over an hour to scan the first time around for me. Definitely wouldn't want to do that often.

Last time I did the full scan was after I'd added everything from Samples From Mars.
Very glad I'd relocated the samples folder to a 3500MB/s M2 drive. It still took bloody ages.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

So far I'm sold on XO.
My only requests are time signatures in the sequencer, I mean at least let us audition kits in 7/4, 5/4, 9/8 etc. I'm OK with XO not being a full fledged drum sequencer, I'm moving back to using the built in drum plug ins in DAWs, better backward compatibility, easier to have changes that happen only once in a song etc.... and a freaking manual. I do not think it's cool that so many small developers are forgoing writing them. A lot of you are complaining about extreme waits when examining your drives and IMO it's a better idea to examine folders rather than entire drives; that way you can reexamine smaller sizes of libraries when you get new samples etc. Sononym talks about symbolic links to set up a central place for various folders etc. you want it to examine and that's not a bad idea at all VS searching all over your drives for the folders etc. This should have been explained in a manual VS "I examined my 2TB drive and now that I added new samples XO is reexamining the entire drive!" type of incidents.

Yeah, I deleted the database and started over, adding top-level (by developer) folders. It refreshes a lot faster that way, since it needs to refresh fewer files. I use standalone most of the time since I don't usually sequence with it, just as a search tool.

The other bonus to using more fine folder levels is when you use the filter search, you can narrow the map down to the folders you want.

XO is interesting. If you point it to a symlinked folder it will add the actual folder it's pointing to. If a symlinked folder is underneath the folder you added, it will follow it as expected. I symlink all the time, like the one_shots folder from a loop pack or the samples folder from an open Kontakt instrument. You could build a folder of nothing but symlinks for XO and Sononym if you wanted to.

yellowmix wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:00 pm Yeah, I deleted the database and started over, adding top-level (by developer) folders. It refreshes a lot faster that way, since it needs to refresh fewer files. I use standalone most of the time since I don't usually sequence with it, just as a search tool.

The other bonus to using more fine folder levels is when you use the filter search, you can narrow the map down to the folders you want.

XO is interesting. If you point it to a symlinked folder it will add the actual folder it's pointing to. If a symlinked folder is underneath the folder you added, it will follow it as expected. I symlink all the time, like the one_shots folder from a loop pack or the samples folder from an open Kontakt instrument. You could build a folder of nothing but symlinks for XO and Sononym if you wanted to.
Yeah that's what I plan on doing, since XO and built in drum plug ins are my last choice, I have at least a half dozen drum libraries from various VSTi I've tried: MPC Live; Maschine; Spark; Geist/GURU; Battery 2-4; etc. etc. Symlinks make the whole thing less messy.

I really like the AI similarity search in XO and Sononym, and I've realized that writing in a drum machine style VSTi or hardware like the MPC just means more work in the end of the day. Beatstep Pro along with XO and built in drum plug ins in DAWs IMO is the way to go for me.

Still loving XO. It's perfect for what I do.

Biome_Digital wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:32 pm Still loving XO. It's perfect for what I do.
Me too. The search is killer. Yesterday I wanted a CR78 kit, so just typed CR78 into search, and up all the samples came from here there and everywhere. Rotated through kits and samples till I had a pleasing set and quickly got a groove going with the sequencer. This way you don't end up with the stock CR78 kit you might otherwise, but something a little off-centre here and there which I really like. And its always finding samples I didn't know I had.

It's so quick and fun to work with.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Return to “Instruments”