XLN XO - Can't Select Sample from the Space

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recently picked up XLN XO, but I have a fairly irritating problem - I can't select a sample from the "space." Clicking around basically does nothing. It worked for a day or so, then stopped. I removed the built database from the user folder, then re-added and scanned everything. Selecting from the "space" worked again, until I closed the program out. Anytime I start it again, it starts rescanning the folders, and I cannot select from the space.

I believe it may have something to do with a large database perhaps? When I start the program, it takes a good 10 minutes for it to scan all my sample folders (most on an SSD, but a good portion on spinning drives).

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Do you mean that you can’t select any samples at all, or are you able to only select some? I have an issue where about a thousand of my imported samples show up as grayed out dots in the space selection. And trying to select them defaults to the nearest dot that isn’t grayed out no matter how far I zoom in.

I can't select any at all.

Can't select any at all after a restart is strange. I assume you already contacted support? Hope they can help. I doubt it has anything to do with sample library size, how big is it? Mine is 250k and I never had any issue, although scanning took longer than 10 minutes, but I only have to do it once.
I have an issue where about a thousand of my imported samples show up as grayed out dots in the space selection.

That's the filtering. There is some filtering applied by default. Just click the magnifying glass on the top right corner and check the filters, especially the one that reads "drumminess".

What is the scaling of XO? I have this problem of not being able to select anything if I don't start at 100% zoom. I can change the zoom after opening XO at 100%. I mustn't forget to reset back to 100% when I close XO. And yes, this was already reported as a bug months ago.

gondii wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:04 am That's the filtering. There is some filtering applied by default. Just click the magnifying glass on the top right corner and check the filters, especially the one that reads "drumminess".
Wow you're awesome! It's funny all the times I clicked that magnifying glass to search for the samples, and all I had to do was drag the drumminess slider. Thank you!

Rivanni wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:20 pm What is the scaling of XO? I have this problem of not being able to select anything if I don't start at 100% zoom. I can change the zoom after opening XO at 100%. I mustn't forget to reset back to 100% when I close XO. And yes, this was already reported as a bug months ago.
This very well could be it. I'm always running at 175%. Thank you, I'll check it out.

gondii wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:04 am Can't select any at all after a restart is strange. I assume you already contacted support? Hope they can help. I doubt it has anything to do with sample library size, how big is it? Mine is 250k and I never had any issue, although scanning took longer than 10 minutes, but I only have to do it once.
Gondii - I have a large database as well. Curious, when you start XO, how long does the scan take - you can watch the white line going under the folder icon. I assume XO is looking for changes in the folders to see if a rescan needs to take place.

Mine takes around 10 minutes each time, and XO is very unresponsive during this time. Thank you.

husker37 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:32 pm
Gondii - I have a large database as well. Curious, when you start XO, how long does the scan take - you can watch the white line going under the folder icon. I assume XO is looking for changes in the folders to see if a rescan needs to take place.

Mine takes around 10 minutes each time, and XO is very unresponsive during this time. Thank you.
It only took a longer time the very first time. When I start up my DAW there is basically no waiting time for me. XO notices if I made a change to a folder, but rescanning that folder (only if there was a change and then only rescanning that specific folder) is more a question of seconds than it is of minutes. Something seems to not be working properly for you...

EDIT:

Actually... it does rescan the folders in the background when I restart the DAW. My estimate is that it's more 3 minutes than 10. Do you have the samples on an SSD? However I don't notice the scanning, XO works just like it normally does and I can preview the samples without any issues. I do have a relatively fast machine with lots of RAM though...

gondii wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:50 pm

Actually... it does rescan the folders in the background when I restart the DAW. My estimate is that it's more 3 minutes than 10. Do you have the samples on an SSD? However I don't notice the scanning, XO works just like it normally does and I can preview the samples without any issues. I do have a relatively fast machine with lots of RAM though...
Thank you. I have a mix of SSD (all the Native Instruments expansions + Battery + Maschine Samples) and spinning drives (everything else). I noticed the scanning because of the issues I've been having. I've recreated the database a handful of times, so I'm very aware of the scanning now. :)

My initial scan takes several hours.

This happened to me after working just the other day. I restarted, rescanned, no dice. Then I went into the 'UI Scaling & Settings' turned *off* 'use open GL hardware acceleration' and that worked. I wished I'd tried that first honestly the rescanning took over an hour.

Alright, so much for that little trick. Seems toggling Open GL no longer works. I've sent support ticket hopefully this gets fixed just started happening the other day and it's driving me nuts.

Return to “Instruments”