Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

c_voltage wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:21 pm Folks for anyone works newsletters from JRR ? I see site works ok now it seems, but no any mails about deals longtime. I subscribed though.
It looks like they rebuilt the site from an old backup and it seems from what people here have been saying all account info from the last 2 years or so is gone, so if that’s your situation then your login probably no longer works and they’ll have lost any details about your email etc.

As I said before until such time as someone like Uncle E comes back here to be straight about it I won’t trust that site.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

JRR site killed by hackers, Rhythmic Robot site killed by hackers ...
Who's next?

escalona wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:14 pm

I own all but three of the volume 4 bundle. My upgrade price is still $250.
well that settles it :)
it's still a good deal considering i paid less for harmonics than it knocks off my pricing.
still considering whether to pull the trigger or not, gotta demo those summits

Calenberger wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:53 pm JRR site killed by hackers, Rhythmic Robot site killed by hackers ...
Who's next?
The problem is that a lot of site, OS and database exploits are so widespread that even script kiddies can hit a few thousand sites on the off chance of finding one or two they can ‘pwn’ and probably most of the time not even to hijack or steal from, just to destroy.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

c_voltage wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:21 pm Folks for anyone works newsletters from JRR ? I see site works ok now it seems, but no any mails about deals longtime. I subscribed though.
site is still broken. I can login, but it shows only orders until 2018. And when I try to show all the orders, it just gives me an SQL error saying that table doesn't exists.

Calenberger wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:53 pm JRR site killed by hackers, Rhythmic Robot site killed by hackers ...
Who's next?
JRR wasn't killed by hackers as Uncle explained several times here that the site crashed because of being overloaded by all the traffic from the Studio One release
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

mladi wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:44 pm
JRR wasn't killed by hackers as Uncle explained several times here that the site crashed because of being overloaded by all the traffic from the Studio One release
sorry but traffic overload usually doesn't result in database corruption

Ploki wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:04 pm
Imagine thinking you know better than the guy that actually owns the site

Fidelity wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:08 pm
Ploki wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:04 pm
Imagine thinking you know better than the guy that actually owns the site
Imagine knowing that network congestion alone doesn't typically destroy servers.

Imagine not having a backup of data newer than 2018 and not having a colocation as either backup and/or to balance traffic.

It's not but this looks more like a dude with a desktop in his garage than a serious company.

Fidelity wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:08 pm Imagine thinking you know better than the guy that actually owns the site
Seems he catched Uncle telling lies? Now i'm afraid of what's coming next? :lol:
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

mladi wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:44 pm
Fidelity wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:08 pm Imagine thinking you know better than the guy that actually owns the site
Seems he catched Uncle telling lies? Now i'm afraid of what's coming next? :lol:
nobody in their right mind would publicly say "we got hacked and got our data stolen and possibly lost a lot of your shit" before assessing the damage and preparing damage control...

And i would never hold it against anyone for buying some time to do that.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=549392&p=7848479#p7848479

He posted here but not in this unofficial JRRshop thread lol. Hopefully he has it fixed for whenever Melda starts their summer sale. Speaking of that does anyone know when it starts? If I remember correctly it was happening at this time last year. "Eternal Madness" refreshes in a day so I'm hoping it starts then.

Ploki wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:12 pm
escalona wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:14 pm

I own all but three of the volume 4 bundle. My upgrade price is still $250.
well that settles it :)
it's still a good deal considering i paid less for harmonics than it knocks off my pricing.
still considering whether to pull the trigger or not, gotta demo those summits
I love the summit, particularly the compressor. Along with the TubeTech and the API channel, the FET compressor, the weiss maximizer, and the synthesizer (if you're into those things) kind of makes it worth your while. They're all pretty good tools... try them out first, as always! It's $250 after all... quite a bit of money for a bunch of ones and zeros... :tu:
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

VitaminD wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:43 pmImagine not having a backup of data newer than 2018 and not having a colocation as either backup and/or to balance traffic.
Ploki wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:01 pm nobody in their right mind would publicly say "we got hacked and got our data stolen and possibly lost a lot of your shit" before assessing the damage and preparing damage control...

And i would never hold it against anyone for buying some time to do that.
I've bought a load of stuff from JRR over the years and I really hope that he recovers from this. I've been in IT for many years (well over 30), and here are my observations:

- Your website is your business, lose it and you lose your business. Every day it's down is a day of revenue lost and you'll never get that back.

- Backups are king. Not just one backup, but multiple backups, backups of backups, and more backups. If you lose data without a backup, you can never get it back. Once it's gone, it's gone. In the office, we'd back up critical data (customer data, source code etc) to DVD every night, to an array of hard drives (one per day) and to an online backup provider.

- I was an admin for a number of mission critical dedicated web servers (not VPS) that we hosted in the US, with a primary dedicated SQL Server. We had an extra server doing nothing 99% of the time but it ran SQL Server (Microsoft SQL Server is not cheap!) that we synced the data to every night. We also took SQL backups nightly too. If we lost our SQL Server, we could just flip the application servers over to the backup while we rebuilt the primary. And if that failed, we had multiple backups.

- This was not cheap, it probably cost us upwards of £3,000 to £4,000 a month (we were only a small company) but for our customers, it was their business.

- As far as JRRShop goes, it's possible that overloading the site corrupted the SQL (or more likely, the mySQL) database. it seems incredible that the website couldn't handle the traffic but whether it was overloaded or hacked. when it came time to rebuild the site, it was discovered that the most recent SQL backup was two years old. Not good!

- If my business was reliant on my web store, I'd make damn sure that if something brought it down, I could get back online pretty damn quick without losing any data. Something catastrophic happened here and it sure looks like the backups that I'm sure Uncle E thought he was taking were either corrupt or non-existent. Or maybe he thought his web provider was taking backups and they weren't. It's all too easy to buy some VPS or web space somewhere that comes with admin, mySQL and backups as part of the package, but when push comes to shove, you discover they are sorely lacking, and then it's too late and the damage is done. When everything's running smoothly, you don't plan your disaster recovery (but you should)!

Like I say, we don't really know what happened and we may never be told. I sincerely hope Uncle E makes a full recovery from this and learns how to host his store-front better next time so he never experiences a repeat of this disaster.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

escalona wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:54 pm
I love the summit, particularly the compressor. Along with the TubeTech and the API channel, the FET compressor, the weiss maximizer, and the synthesizer (if you're into those things) kind of makes it worth your while. They're all pretty good tools... try them out first, as always! It's $250 after all... quite a bit of money for a bunch of ones and zeros... :tu:
i wanted to buy heartbeat a couple of times now 8)
gotta try the summit comp. EQ isn't bad.
Passive-Active seems a bit pointless

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”