Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

ENV1 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:50 pm I think i understand.

Its to visualize how the steps are enveloped by the EG.

What made me wonder was the fact that the (active) steps on the left got mirrored on the right (inactive) side, but i think i get the idea now.

Thank you.
Exactly: enveloped, deformed, etc... the white line is the “new” feature showing the actual output basically. And so the active steps get mirrored because if you play the SS for 16 steps with a loop point at 4, you get the first 4 items repeated 4 more times (as opposed to the SS outputting whatever values 5-16 are set to). Best way to see it is to drag the deform slider around with the step sequencer open and you can see the difference between the steps and the outputs. Or play with the envelope as you said

Yeah, Deform is pretty nifty too.

(Can create a nice pseudo-glide on note sequences.)

Good to have that visual reference now.

I have downloaded the installer from https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/ (Windows 64 bit)
My Avast antivirus Flags it as a FileRepMalware. (After quick googling it seems like the file has a bad reputation (whatever that means))
So I ran a test here https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/620 ... /detection
Also beeing flaged.

Is this github site the official one and is it trust worthy ?

It's trustworthy. That's a false positive simply because the file hasn't been downloaded many times yet. Also Avast is kinda crap. Feel free to submit the file to them for whitelisting.

Most likely a false - positive; yet, Windows Defender also flags it as a FileRepMalware. If there is anything we can do @EvilDragon to solve this, just let me know. Like Whitelisting it and such, I mean.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

And on the virus scan: While we are confident they are false positives, you don't have to believe us! You can clone the source, download a compiler, inspect each of the input files, and build a DLL yourself! But if any devs here know a way we can submit our installers to virus scanners in our CI pipeline, would love to know.

I submitted it to avast. I'll check again in a few days.

I dont want to compile it myself. But would help out with getting the 'false - positives' off the net. Like trying to get those 'whitelisted' by the scanners causing the 'false positive' at the moment. Thats what I meant.

This morning we released Surge 1.7.1.

Thank you to the more than 7500 people who downloaded Surge 1.7.0 in the last 5 days! We are very happy that things mostly worked with this big change, but there were a couple of infrastructural problems which led us to do this release. The release fixes problems with the VST3 in Ableton for macOS, restores macOS compatibility back to OS X 10.9, ships a 64 bit SurgeEffectsBank on Windows with the 64 bit installer, and adjusts some build and compile options for Linux, allowing FreeBSD and a few other platforms to build. Available as always https://surge-synthesizer.github.io.

We have a bunch of plans for a 1.7.2 release this fall. Always happy to have people join the team if you want to help with dev and design! Enjoy Surge!

Perfect. https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/a90b ... /detection
Seems to be 'detected' as all clean now.

GeneralQ wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:44 am I submitted it to avast. I'll check again in a few days.
Their false positive is already removed (see Virustotal).

All in all, when you download from a well-known github publisher and have a Virustotal outline that shows a great majority of suites passing and just Avast and a couple of other low quality security suites triggering -- and even among that handful of warnings there are classifications like "trojan generic" (which means the scanner is just guessing, based on some similarities with arbitrary code that some trojan contains, instead of seeing an actual trojan) -- it's very very unlikely there's anything wrong with the file.

baconpaul wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:58 am This morning we released Surge 1.7.1.

Thank you to the more than 7500 people who downloaded Surge 1.7.0 in the last 5 days! We are very happy that things mostly worked with this big change, but there were a couple of infrastructural problems which led us to do this release. The release fixes problems with the VST3 in Ableton for macOS, restores macOS compatibility back to OS X 10.9, ships a 64 bit SurgeEffectsBank on Windows with the 64 bit installer, and adjusts some build and compile options for Linux, allowing FreeBSD and a few other platforms to build. Available as always https://surge-synthesizer.github.io.

We have a bunch of plans for a 1.7.2 release this fall. Always happy to have people join the team if you want to help with dev and design! Enjoy Surge!

Hi baconpaul,

I have bought Surge many years ago but have dropped it at some day because of the low quality wavetables, but this has now gone and I test now if I have any purpose to use it again.

I would have two requests:
1. In the original Surge I am able to choose the category when I want to save a own preset. Could these feature be brought back.
2. The LFO and Envelopes are all polytriggered or free running.
Would it be possible to offer the option for single trigger of LFOs and Envelopes.

Beside this, many thanks for this refresh of a good "old" Virtual Instrument !!!

MorpherX wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:47 pm 2. The LFO and Envelopes are all polytriggered or free running.
Would it be possible to offer the option for single trigger of LFOs and Envelopes.
I think you just need to use a "S-LFO" for this.

Hi!

There’s a category typein but not a dropdown when you save so you have to type the right name in. Vstgui doesn’t have the dropdown combobox widget so we’ve left it this way (which is how it was when open sourced) but we are thinking about a better ui for patches generally.

Single trigger for lfo as in it follows the voice triggering in mono modes? Can you be a bit more specific about what triggering you want for the vlfo?

We generally deal with feature requests on github. For instance here is the fr for your first question I think

https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/1840

Best

baconpaul wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:00 pm Hi!

There’s a category typein but not a dropdown when you save so you have to type the right name in. Vstgui doesn’t have the dropdown combobox widget so we’ve left it this way (which is how it was when open sourced) but we are thinking about a better ui for patches generally.

Single trigger for lfo as in it follows the voice triggering in mono modes? Can you be a bit more specific about what triggering you want for the vlfo?

We generally deal with feature requests on github. For instance here is the fr for your first question I think

https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/1840

Best
Hi,

thanks for the fast reply !

The last original version of Surge I had was 1.5.2 I think and with this version I am able to choose the user folder as well as the folder-category in the user
main folder.
I the actuell version 1.7.0 it would save a preset in folder where I called the last preset and this is not usefull if I want to save it anywhere else.

Regarding the single trigger for LFOs and Envelopes in polymode I have to test what "Dandruff" wrote, with the S-LFOs, I hope this work.
It's some years ago I last worked with Surge so I have to call back all features Surge has. But single trigger in polymode is an important musical feature.

Best regards

Return to “Instruments”