What about ACE 2?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Would love to see A.C.E XL

or, hear it, fwiw :clown:

Would be cool if ace got a sequencer/arp and more effects

Urs wrote: ↑Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:24 am (I'd also argue that Hive has transformed from orphaned product to a top seller, so I'd say the original version hadn't reached a certain threshold of interest whereas the new one has)
I'd agree here. Hive was not interesting to me at all V1 and now V2 is on the wishlist as soon as you added the newer wavetable and function generator stuff

MitchK1989 wrote: ↑Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:28 pm
Urs wrote: ↑Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:24 am (I'd also argue that Hive has transformed from orphaned product to a top seller, so I'd say the original version hadn't reached a certain threshold of interest whereas the new one has)
I'd agree here. Hive was not interesting to me at all V1 and now V2 is on the wishlist as soon as you added the newer wavetable and function generator stuff
And the workflow is even better in V2 than V1

Different filters =) ?
Murderous duck!

pdxindy wrote: ↑Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:54 pm
MitchK1989 wrote: ↑Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:28 pm
And the workflow is even better in V2 than V1
Well, I cant argue with a majority of satisfied customers and better sales!
I do believe that now the GUI does not work anymore, the Hive in the middle seems too cluttered.
I had expectations of a 3rd party skin to accommodate those new features better, (looking at you, @plugmon) but his latest skin seems rushed

Now, if the EQ/Sequencer from Filterscape VA was added.... ;D
But then a strange fear gripped me
and I just couldn't ask....

I would love it if there was an option to disable the default routing and remove all the related labels, so that you had to connect everything yourself, as with Bazille. I've tried to get into ACE many times, but I always get confused and irritated by the default routings. I guess what irritates me is the idea that some of the labels on the main panel are informative, while others are only informative until you override them by plugging something else in. This always seems to prevent me from getting past the initial learning curve (after which I'd probably forget about this default routing business).

I feel like I'm in a minority here. On the other hand, the idea that all labels on a panel should be meaningful and not 'suggestions' is strongly intuitive to me. Providing this option would make the main panel look neater (by eliminating some essentially useless labels). I think this option would also make the transition easier for other Bazille users.

Blogbert wrote: ↑Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:01 pm I would love it if there was an option to disable the default routing and remove all the related labels, so that you had to connect everything yourself, as with Bazille. I've tried to get into ACE many times, but I always get confused and irritated by the default routings. I guess what irritates me is the idea that some of the labels on the main panel are informative, while others are only informative until you override them by plugging something else in. This always seems to prevent me from getting past the initial learning curve (after which I'd probably forget about this default routing business).

I feel like I'm in a minority here. On the other hand, the idea that all labels on a panel should be meaningful and not 'suggestions' is strongly intuitive to me. Providing this option would make the main panel look neater (by eliminating some essentially useless labels). I think this option would also make the transition easier for other Bazille users.
I think the idea was for there to be an "ACE XL" that would be like the analog emulation equivalent to bazille (no prerouted connections, more modules)

MitchK1989 wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:16 amI think the idea was for there to be an "ACE XL" that would be like the analog emulation equivalent to bazille (no prerouted connections, more modules)
I would certainly love to see ACE XL or such like. I love virtual modular synthesis, and I love the sound of ACE. However, my 'blank preset' option was intended as a suggestion along the lines of Urs' mention of 'nice things' possible in ACE 1.x updates, since I imagine it would require little programming and no additional processing.

Blogbert wrote: ↑Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:01 pmthe idea that all labels on a panel should be meaningful and not 'suggestions' is strongly intuitive to me. Providing this option would make the main panel look neater (by eliminating some essentially useless labels).
Which labels do you feel are only 'suggestions', which are 'essentially useless'?

Howard wrote: ↑Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:46 pmWhich labels do you feel are only 'suggestions', which are 'essentially useless'?
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound insulting; maybe I simply haven't understood the synth properly.

This is an image of a section of ACE. Some of the labels are meaningful to me, while others are not.

For example, the 'gain' label tells me the function of the knob found above it, so it is meaningful.

Conversely, the label 'adsr2' tells me what the knob does when nothing is connected to it. When something is connected to it, the label no longer tells me anything about anything.

I consider the default routing to be a 'suggestion' of a routing. When I am getting to know a synth, if there are labels on the synth which can become false as soon as I change a setting, I consider those labels useless - they make the interface confusing to interpret, which is the opposite of what a label should do. Sorry for using the words 'suggestion' and 'essentially useless' without qualifying them more first.

Blogbert wrote: ↑Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:30 pm
Howard wrote: ↑Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:46 pmWhich labels do you feel are only 'suggestions', which are 'essentially useless'?
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound insulting; maybe I simply haven't understood the synth properly.

This is an image of a section of ACE. Some of the labels are meaningful to me, while others are not.

For example, the 'gain' label tells me the function of the knob found above it, so it is meaningful.

Conversely, the label 'adsr2' tells me what the knob does when nothing is connected to it. When something is connected to it, the label no longer tells me anything about anything.

I consider the default routing to be a 'suggestion' of a routing. When I am getting to know a synth, if there are labels on the synth which can become false as soon as I change a setting, I consider those labels useless - they make the interface confusing to interpret, which is the opposite of what a label should do. Sorry for using the words 'suggestion' and 'essentially useless' without qualifying them more first.
Have you read the manual yet? Its pretty great and helps explain how it all works.
:borg:

his point is that it shouldn't still say "adsr2" after you've patched something else in - at that point the label is straight up lying about the function of the knob above it.

Blogbert wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:49 pm
MitchK1989 wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:16 amI think the idea was for there to be an "ACE XL" that would be like the analog emulation equivalent to bazille (no prerouted connections, more modules)
I would certainly love to see ACE XL or such like. I love virtual modular synthesis, and I love the sound of ACE. However, my 'blank preset' option was intended as a suggestion along the lines of Urs' mention of 'nice things' possible in ACE 1.x updates, since I imagine it would require little programming and no additional processing.
Or why not still have the default preset as is but with the wires displayed out in front? Seems like a good opportunity to show what is going on with a simple patch, I agree it is initially confusing to work around the default 'invisible' patching.

Return to β€œu-he”