Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

Great!

(BTW, how come your slider caps are green? Did i miss something?)

I just noticed something concerning presets.

Unlike 1.5.2, FM Osc Feedback can now go negative, and if i save a new preset with 1.7.0 the slider retains its neg/pos range just fine. However when i load a preset made with 1.5.2, the slider will only have a positive range, (0-100, like 1.5.2), in other words 0% will be with the slider hard left (rather than center) and thus the negative portion of the range will be unavailable with this preset. Is this as intended? Luckily re-saving the preset with 1.7.0 remedies this, so just curious if there is a reason behind this.

ENV1 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:18 pm Great!

(BTW, how come your slider caps are green? Did i miss something?)
My slightly customized version of the dark skin. LFO section sliders are blue, FX section sliders are light gray, others are orange, and mod assign sliders are green.

ENV1 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:41 pm I just noticed something concerning presets.

Unlike 1.5.2, FM Osc Feedback can now go negative, and if i save a new preset with 1.7.0 the slider retains its neg/pos range just fine. However when i load a preset made with 1.5.2, the slider will only have a positive range, (0-100, like 1.5.2), in other words 0% will be with the slider hard left (rather than center) and thus the negative portion of the range will be unavailable with this preset. Is this as intended? Luckily re-saving the preset with 1.7.0 remedies this, so just curious if there is a reason behind this.
Yes that is intentional in order to preserve the behavior of the old preset. It's called "handling streaming mismatches", streaming being patch saving/loading and mismatch being "something changed in how parameter behaves at some point".

ENV1 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:41 pm I just noticed something concerning presets.

Yes this is on purpose. Presets streamed before the negative feedback was added need to restore without the negative feedback to guarantee that they work properly with old projects, DAW automation, and so on. We try really hard to make it so that if you save a preset, you get the same sound if you load it 5 versions later and so on.

Oh: I also merged Evil's 'add' change so should be in the nightly in 30-40 minutes. Great suggestion!

Dandruff wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:33 pm I've created a thread in the REAPER forums: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=234177
Any new regarding this?

Unfortunately it's not possible for Surge as it is, because VST3 already has a different ID than VST2.

quick Q, can the current version load short wav samples like v1.5?
i really love that ability of v1.5, really gives it that roland D-50
sampled attack transient sound design option.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Yeah just drag and drop them onto the oscillator @layzer, or load them with the menu if they are wav files with no metadata. (We try to identify if a wav file has serum or NI or so on metadata when we load it; if not its a one shot)

- snip -
baconpaul wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:47 pm (We try to identify if a wav file has serum or NI or so on metadata when we load it; if not its a one shot)
I've got some Wt files in Serum format (2048 samples/cycle) but the software used to generate doesn't insert proper metadata for some reason. Is some option to load Wt with Surge itself setting x samples/cycle even though metadata is missing feasible and something you'd bother with, with x either freely userdefinable or to be chosen from certain preset options like 2048 and the most commonly used?

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:32 pm Unfortunately it's not possible for Surge as it is, because VST3 already has a different ID than VST2.
AFAIK REAPER never distinguished plugins by their ID.

Gone soft wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:59 pm - snip -
baconpaul wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:47 pm (We try to identify if a wav file has serum or NI or so on metadata when we load it; if not its a one shot)
I've got some Wt files in Serum format (2048 samples/cycle) but the software used to generate doesn't insert proper metadata for some reason. Is some option to load Wt with Surge itself setting x samples/cycle even though metadata is missing feasible and something you'd bother with, with x either freely userdefinable or to be chosen from certain preset options like 2048 and the most commonly used?
We have python scripts to add metadata. Check the wiki linked from the homepage. One day in the future we might build this in as a ui in surge but for now just tag your files is the answer

If you are a dev and want to add a better answer would be happy to talk you through it!

ED, baconpaul, thanks for the detailed explanations.

Makes perfect sense to me now, and like i said, all you need to do to get the 1.7.0 behavior is to re-save the preset with 1.7.0

Thanks also for the super-quick implementation of the 'Edit-At-All-Times' function. Im sure this addition will be highly appreciated by a lot of folks because it makes entering precise mod amount values a quick and painless affair. I intend to grab the new build later this evening, will post some feedback after checking everything out.

Thanks people, you are doing an outstanding job here.

So i grabbed the latest nightly and heres the feedback. :)

Adding modulators and setting a value right away seems to work fine, its basically perfect. There are some zoom/size dependent graphical issues and a problem with the length of some readout texts, but that should be an easy fix. (Make the box wider than the longest readout string that could occur there or make it size dynamically according to the length of the string.) The screenshot below shows the edit box at 150% UI size, top is with short readouts, bottom with precise readouts enabled. There are sizes where the readout text is not cut off at the bottom, but all up to 190% (which is the largest i can test) have the string length problem.
SurgeEditBox.png

And i have one suggestion. When a slider that already has a mod amount set is rightclicked, Edit and Clear show in the context menu even when Surge is not in mod assignment mode. This is rather convenient, so i was wondering if Add could be added to that menu so you can assign the currently highlighted modulator without going into mod assignment mode first. (If thats technically possible.) Of course this would just be a 'icing-on-the-cake' kind of thing, but operationally it would again speed things up so i thought id suggest it.

Thats all for now, thanks again, will continue to test.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Regarding the second thing, that should be possible, just moving things outside of a certain if clause.

Regarding the first thing, please write up an issue on Github so we can track it better :)

Also coming in 1.7.2.:

This was only possible on macros previously (explicit MIDI CC assignment), but now it's available for all other params as well. Also renamed maybe slightly confusing "Set parameter/macro to..." to "Assign parameter/macro to...".

Return to “Instruments”