What about ACE 2?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The concept was of course inspired by the ARP 2600, which has patch points that are labelled with their normalled modulation sources. Those naturally don't change either.

But yeah, it would be nice to also show the targets to these modulation jacks/knobs. Maybe assuming that everyone simply knows it's the filter's cutoff was a bit of an omission on my side.

Urs wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:23 am The concept was of course inspired by the ARP 2600, which has patch points that are labelled with their normalled modulation sources. Those naturally don't change either.
For sure, I understand that this design was intentional.

However, as someone coming to this synth from Bazille, I have found this design frustrating and off-putting. I would prefer it if, as chuckwood has suggested, the 'default signal flow' was set up using patch cables just like any user-created patch. That way, all labels on the synth would remain true and informative regardless of any patching. My suggestion was for there to be an option added to ACE 1.x in the settings that would clear the 'default signal flow' and remove all of the related labels. I believe that would make the synth easier and more enjoyable for me to learn.

Anyway, enough from me on this topic. Hopefully I have clearly conveyed the rationale behind this suggestion.
Last edited by Blogbert on Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

There's a reason why normalled connections exist. Easier to make it output sound, and less cable clutter too. It would not make the synth easier, it would make it more complicated for people that are NOT you. :P

Well the idea of optional normalisations (multiple, exchangeable) came up back then, but I was still a lonely developer in a bedroom. I would do it differently today, I would even bring it back up, but now I don't have any time for anything due to other reasons. Maybe one day...

Blogbert wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:50 amHowever, as someone coming to this synth from Bazille, I have found this design frustrating and off-putting. I would prefer it if, as chuckwood has suggested, the 'default signal flow' was set up using patch cables just like any user-created patch. That way, all labels on the synth would remain true and informative regardless of any patching.
I use a modified version the Plugmon "Monolith" skin. One benefit to that is that the mod source labels are dynamic and appear directly under the control being modulated with depth controlled in a Massive-like mod system. So if you patch something else into the filter ADSR, the label will update. It at least solves the problem of labels not reflecting what's really happening. The thing I don't love is that the skin uses icons and abbreviations for the mod sources, which I don't love, but nothing some light image editing can't fix. :wink:

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:52 am It would not make the synth easier, it would make it more complicated for people that are NOT you. :P
... So you're saying that despite my preferences, there are also other people, who have their own preferences, which may be different from mine?!

In that case, I retract my suggestion immediately!

Blogbert wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:07 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:52 am It would not make the synth easier, it would make it more complicated for people that are NOT you. :P
... So you're saying that despite my preferences, there are also other people, who have their own preferences, which may be different from mine?!

In that case, I retract my suggestion immediately!
Sometimes I discover I'm not alone on this small world :tu:

I like the ACE presets a lot. "MIDI Y" amazes me. Which I think might be a community preset.
I don't really understand the interface well though.
If things relabeled themselves, that would be pretty sharp!

Blogbert wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:50 am
Urs wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:23 am The concept was of course inspired by the ARP 2600, which has patch points that are labelled with their normalled modulation sources. Those naturally don't change either.
For sure, I understand that this design was intentional.

However, as someone coming to this synth from Bazille, I have found this design frustrating and off-putting. I would prefer it if, as chuckwood has suggested, the 'default signal flow' was set up using patch cables just like any user-created patch. That way, all labels on the synth would remain true and informative regardless of any patching. My suggestion was for there to be an option added to ACE 1.x in the settings that would clear the 'default signal flow' and remove all of the related labels. I believe that would make the synth easier and more enjoyable for me to learn.

Anyway, enough from me on this topic. Hopefully I have clearly conveyed the rationale behind this suggestion.
It's nice to have one synth each way. The first time I tried Bazille, I was not able to make a sound or do anything. Ace was a good gateway to modular wiring. It's still easy to use for the total beginner, but can be wired all sorts of ways by the experienced user.

At this point, I too would rather Ace be like Bazille, but I think that it is good it stay as is for those who are starting out like I was.

Rishabh Rajan made a great tutorial for ACE, makes life easier

pdxindy wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:52 am
Blogbert wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:50 am My suggestion was for there to be an option added to ACE 1.x in the settings that would clear the 'default signal flow' and remove all of the related labels.
At this point, I too would rather Ace be like Bazille, but I think that it is good it stay as is for those who are starting out like I was.
Fair enough.

I mean I'd be happy if the labels under the CV knobs just disappeared as soon as you plugged something else in just so you don't have a connection still labelled "ADSR" that is no longer attached to the ADSR... But a drop down menu so you can choose multiple "cable-less" connections for commonly used stuff to cut down on spaghetti would also be awesome (as long as it went blank when overridden by a cable)

^^^^^ That is an excellent idea!

Duplicate post.
Last edited by Weasel-Boy on Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
On a number of Macs

Urs mentions that he was inspired by the ARP 2600. I have one. I bought it back in 1979. I was never confused about the 2600’s normalled connections from day one because the 2600 had the physical real estate above and below the jacks to label what was normalled to it and what target it was headed to. ACE doesn’t have the luxury of that extra labeling area. But, it’s software. And with that in mind, I too, would prefer the option to right click on a jack, pick a source from a list, make the connection and change the label in one go...simply to reduce wiring clutter.

My wrinkle would be when you stick a plug in it, the label changes to the name of the source from the other end of the cable. For example plugging a cable from the LFO’s output into the filter’s CV input (currently labeled adsr) would change it to: LFO. Unplug and it reverts to the last selection made by the user from the drop down. My attitude is that these connections should be liquid and identifiable. Additionally this could make it possible for a user to set up a custom template without a single cable involved. That’d get my vote.
On a number of Macs

Return to “u-he”