Exponential Audio Verbs: PhoenixVerb, Nimbus, R4. Your Thoughts?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zvenx wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:45 pm I don't believe Michael Carnes has ever been with relab.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/michaelcarnes/
rsp
He is possibly not mentioning it on purpose. I am not sure. It seems a bit of a open secret or something. I've seen Martin Lind ( aka Warp69) neither denying nor confirming it (i.e. he ignored it) over at Gearslutz in a thread where people were talking about it. I assume he would indeed have denied it if it wasn't true.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Michael is still under contract with iZ. I am pretty sure iZ wouldnt' allow him to work for a competitor.
They could have simply considered the convo so ridiculous it wasn't worth responding to.

rsp
sound sculptist

We have no idea at all what their contract is.
Michael Carnes however certainly was in a good position to specify his required conditions.

It is absolutely possible that his contract with Izotope allows him to work for other companies as long as he doesn't make it public. There's nothing we know that contradicts this possibility. We simply don't know. I don't know it and you don't know it. This is pure speculation. All I know is that others who seemed to know something about it mentioned it and Martin Lind saw it and neither denied nor confirmed it. And we know what that usually means.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I beta tested for EA.
I spoke to Michael up to four weeks ago.... We both discussed (as we have done in the past) what we are currently doing and what plans we have for the immediate future.

He is still currently under exclusive contract with iZ.

You are of course free to believe what you want.
rsp
sound sculptist

Oh crap! I don't know what sort of lunatic you are, but I just noticed that you were the one insinuating it in the Gearslutz-thread I mentioned here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product ... erb-3.html

Get help asap!

Edit: Sorry, Zvenx, I need to learn to read a lot better - especially I need to pay more attention to who writes what - my bad! :oops: :oops: :oops:

So: move along folks, nothing to see. It was just me being abundantly thick and reading things into things that nobody mentioned or even just hinted at.

What did I insinuate?
I said clearly there, they are imho two Reverb software geniuses Martin and Michael imho.
and that I never bought any Relab stuff cause I felt it would be disloyal to Michael (that I beta tested for him and loved his stuff), but when he sold EA to iZ I felt ok to buy Relab stuff.

I in no form or fashioned suggested Michael now worked or works Relab.
Although I don't own any license for any relab stuff, I thought i was an email subscriber till this
Any idea when the rest of us will get to test this?
thanks
rsp
@ elambo , thanks.
I still haven't gotten any email. But was able to download and try it.
About to buy it.
I believe they are two software reverb geniuses....Martin is one of those two and it shows here.
Really great sounding AND easy to use.
rsp

Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Michael Carnes is the other one?
Of course
Didn't want to mention his name in this thread, but now that you have..lol
yes.
And for whatever reason I felt loyal to him and never bought any relab reverbs......(yes I know that makes no sense ).
But now he sold to izotope. my conscience is clear
rsp

etc..

Someone pointed out that Relab was no longer just Martin and I said.
Ahh I thought it was just Martin doing algorithms and programming.
rsp
At which point did I insinuate that Michael worked with Relab?
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sound sculptist

jens wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:55 pm Oh crap! I don't know what sort of lunatic you are, but I just noticed that you were the one insinuating it in the Gearslutz-thread I mentioned here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product ... erb-3.html

Get help asap!

Edit: Sorry, Zvenx, I need to learn to read a lot better - especially I need to pay more attention to who writes what - my bad! :oops: :oops: :oops:

So: move along folks, nothing to see. It was just me being abundantly thick and reading things into things that nobody mentioned or even just hinted at.
May I have the number of your drug dealer?
:hug:

zvenx wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:38 pm I in no form or fashioned suggested Michael now worked or works Relab.
See above - I edited my post - apparently while you replied. I simply misread things because I didn't pay proper attention to who said what and got it all mixed up nicely somehow. That's all there is to it. :oops:

Ahh...
ok....
rsp
sound sculptist

Calenberger wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:39 pm

May I have the number of your drug dealer?
:hug:
While personally I swear by beer, basically any booze will do.

deleted.
Last edited by krabbencutter on Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krabbencutter wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:37 pm Why buy drugs when you can spend money on reverbs instead?
For better shimmer?
Murderous duck!

please guys stay on topic

After all these songs about EA reverbs here and on vi-control I finally tried all of them. Tested on different material during couple of hours and seriously impressed by R4. Not so much by Nimbus (I have Liquidsonics Illusion and it makes “invisible space” much better, in my opinion).

I want to share with you my ideal reverb set, it takes a lot of time to build it up:

Pro-R for surgical, well-seated in the mix clean reverb.
R4 for rich, beautifully modulated chambers and halls.
Illusion for natural, invisible spaces, very cool on ethnic percussion.
Cinematic Rooms - well... rooms! sounds good on almost anything, swiss-army knife uncompromising reverb with some twists usable in sound-design and especially for huge synth, bass sounds.
Comet and Blackhole - sound-design and unreal spaces.

Wow, $29 for R4 is quite a deal - I paid full price for it last year and think it's worth it. Even if you have R2 and/or Phoenix the addition of the extra filters alone are a revelation - Pre, Early and Late with HP/LP and Notch/Bandpass filters...really effective for not only EQ, but controlling buildup. I'm an algorithmic reverb fiend and R4/Nimbus are my most used, along with the Valhalla stuff and Eventide SP2016. The Liquidsonics stuff sounds remarkably good (I've tried Seventh Heaven, Illusion, and Cinematic Rooms) but almost too good, taking up lots of mix space with all that luscious low end. And the EA reverbs would not be my first choice for ethereal, ginormous, sparkly gossamer otherworldly reverbs that 2C Audio or Zynaptiq do so well. But good luck modulating/automating Illusion or Aether in realtime (silence in the former, crackles in the latter).

When Michael Carnes sold EA, he said he looked forward to playing, writing and recording more music now. Sure, he could be possibly be pumping out algorithms for Relab if he wanted but their fundamental approaches to reverb seem pretty different, and even if iZotope was cool with him consulting, I wonder if Harman (mega-corp Lexicon owner) would be. The Relab guy (and Sean Costello) are like the ultimate "black box" designers who have basically reverse engineered the classic designs by careful listening/studying specs, and applied the most magical parts to their own creations...While Carnes (and Casey Dowdell from Bricasti) had direct access to the Lexicon designs and focused their energy more on building the next generation of reverbs, not recreations that will null with the original hardware boxes as Relab LX480 and VSR24 claim to.

Return to “Effects”