Brainworks Knifonium vs Uhe Diva

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tendou wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:55 pm so bazille sucks and decimort as well? Im interested in this bc I wanted to buy uhe bazille and I use decimort for acid sounds, so please go a bit more i to detail plz!
You probably know this already, but you can get a stripped down version of Bazille with a purchase of the Computer Music magazine. It's very fun to play with.

Ploki wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:09 pm
canadian_moose wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:23 pm Im not sure I really get the PA /Brainworx stuff. Most of it just comes across as overpriced and cheap looking. I know there a few plugins from them that seem to be well regarded so maybe I'm just being picky.
it used to be good.
and a couple of their stuff is really really good, especially a few older ones.
They change devs often tho, and i suspect they're trying to push out as many plugs as possible as fast as possible, so the quality declines - also they do weird shit pricing to coerce you into their Mega subscription package. Quantity > quality mostly.
Others such as unfiltered, dmitry sches and similar that were bought into the fold and not coded by bx are generally fine
ir I recall correctly, the vertigo vsc2 and the shadow hills UAD version wqs made by bx and they both dont suck 😅

Tendou wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:58 pm
Ploki wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:09 pm
canadian_moose wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:23 pm Im not sure I really get the PA /Brainworx stuff. Most of it just comes across as overpriced and cheap looking. I know there a few plugins from them that seem to be well regarded so maybe I'm just being picky.
it used to be good.
They change devs often tho, and i suspect they're trying to push out as many plugs as possible as fast as possible, so the quality declines - also they do weird shit pricing to coerce you into their Mega subscription package. Quantity > quality mostly.
Others such as unfiltered, dmitry sches and similar that were bought into the fold and not coded by bx are generally fine
ir I recall correctly, the vertigo vsc2 and the shadow hills UAD version wqs made by bx and they both dont suck 😅
vertigo vsc2 is coded by people long gone from bx.
Shadow Hills UAD is a decade old tho, needs some buffing. and as i said

I like the PA bashing, it brings down their prices for me. :tu:

Calenberger wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:19 pm I like the PA bashing, it brings down their prices for me. :tu:
happy to have been of service

Ploki wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:44 pm
Calenberger wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:19 pm I like the PA bashing, it brings down their prices for me. :tu:
:D

Ploki wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:44 pm
Where is the coupon code

Vortifex wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:23 amDiva is your cool dad, great dress sense, reliable, drives a Lexus but takes the Jaguar XJS out on weekends. Knifonium is your crazy Vietnam vet uncle who wears Hawaiian shirts, rides a Harley and never returns anything he borrows.
So you're recommending Knifonium, then? From that description it's the one I'd want.
zerocrossing wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:54 amI’ll still vote for Diva though. So versatile and tons of different models to mix and match. There are better analog emulations now (including RePro) but Diva still has a place in anyone’s plugin folder.
Not mine. I remember being hugely impressed the first time I demo'd it but later, when NI were selling u-he stuff for half price, I demo'd it again and found it more sterile and boring than I remembered. I ended up with the RePros and Hive instead, none of which I use very often. I am a little curious about Knifonium but I won't bother with the demo until I can get it cheap but if it's half as good as bx_oberhausen I will probably get it.
canadian_moose wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:23 pmIm not sure I really get the PA /Brainworx stuff. Most of it just comes across as overpriced and cheap looking. I know there a few plugins from them that seem to be well regarded so maybe I'm just being picky.
I don't get the brand interest stuff. I take each product on its own merits - my last six cars have been from six different brands and my last 8 laptops have been from 6 different brands (3 x Dells). And bx_oberhausen is just about the best softsynth money can buy. It does stuff no other softsynth I have come across can do, yet is so simple that any idiot, even this one, can get the best out of it. So I don't care if everything else Brainworx has ever done blows goats, I am always going to be check out anything they make. I'm the same with Wim Wenders - he made my all-time favourite film. However, in the last 20 years his stuff has been very ordinary but I still watch his new films, just in case he makes another Wings of Desire.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Oberhausen is actually the one bx plugin I do have and use! I like it a lot.

I’m not suggesting it’s all garbage by any means but there seems to be an awful lot of overpriced, mediocre items with a few diamonds in the rough.

It just feels like it’s quantity over quality when I browse the PA site

DIVA WIN - FINISH HIM - FATALITY

I would rather like to know how Knifonium compares to the only other supposedly tube based synth emulation: Air Vacuum Pro...

dkiva.

Aye, a chap earlier in the thread said the bx_oberhausen presets were not very good. I think the opposite and find them excellent but I guess it depends on what music you like/make and as ever, YMMV. Regarding Diva, yes great sound but there's a few softsynths that have an 'authentic' sound these days, if that is what you're looking for. I always thought Diva's presets were very poor indeed, and didn't really show what it was capable of, but again YMMV. I'm with BONES actually, you should give bx_oberhausen a little try. I actually sold Diva after having bx_oberhausen for a couple of days.

Yeah, it does feel like now I have bx_oberhausen that a lot of my other plugins won't get much use going forward. I never think to sell anything but there are definitely a handful of synths that I rarely use and could easily live without that I probably should unload.
Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:32 pmI would rather like to know how Knifonium compares to the only other supposedly tube based synth emulation: Air Vacuum Pro...
I was thinking the same, only it was because the descriptions of Knifonium seem to also apply to Vacuum Pro. So maybe they are quite similar? I do love my Vacuum Pro (enough that I paid full price for it, rather than wait until it was on sale again).

I like how we've turned this into a bx_oberhausen thread.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Uhe is the only Soft Synth that´s worth more than 150bugs, most other stuff are relative compared with it are toys i would say, but of it´s price i never bought it myself. I own Knifonium and for 29€ in sale it´s great but it´s not more worthy than 40bugs, the presets are not so special, but it´s capabilities in analog sounding voices are great, a little bit better than the most CherryAudio stuff or from other vendors but not as good than Uhe, Synapse, Blamsoft Viking 1+2, or JPS Harmonic Synthesizer.

And i also must say Oberhausen is at the end two times better than Knifonium, so Knifonium with its 26Tube sound was a big marketing gag and is a big cpu hog, Oberhausen is a real emulation with modern capabilities!

My favorites in analog are, Brainworx Oberhausen, Blamsoft Viking2, CherryAudio CA2600 and Mercury4 and if the sound is not right enough than i personaly use Arturias Mello-Fi what sounds great and for free last time, but it´s a also cpu hog.

Return to “Instruments”