Brainworks Knifonium vs Uhe Diva

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
mdstudio
KVRist
123 posts since 11 Dec, 2018

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:45 am

Tendou wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:55 am
so bazille sucks and decimort as well? Im interested in this bc I wanted to buy uhe bazille and I use decimort for acid sounds, so please go a bit more i to detail plz!
You probably know this already, but you can get a stripped down version of Bazille with a purchase of the Computer Music magazine. It's very fun to play with.

Tendou
KVRist
250 posts since 10 Mar, 2020

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:58 am

Ploki wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:09 am
canadian_moose wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:23 am
Im not sure I really get the PA /Brainworx stuff. Most of it just comes across as overpriced and cheap looking. I know there a few plugins from them that seem to be well regarded so maybe I'm just being picky.
it used to be good.
and a couple of their stuff is really really good, especially a few older ones.
They change devs often tho, and i suspect they're trying to push out as many plugs as possible as fast as possible, so the quality declines - also they do weird shit pricing to coerce you into their Mega subscription package. Quantity > quality mostly.
Others such as unfiltered, dmitry sches and similar that were bought into the fold and not coded by bx are generally fine
ir I recall correctly, the vertigo vsc2 and the shadow hills UAD version wqs made by bx and they both dont suck 😅

Ploki
KVRAF
2677 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:59 am

Tendou wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:58 am
Ploki wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:09 am
canadian_moose wrote:
Im not sure I really get the PA /Brainworx stuff. Most of it just comes across as overpriced and cheap looking. I know there a few plugins from them that seem to be well regarded so maybe I'm just being picky.
it used to be good.
They change devs often tho, and i suspect they're trying to push out as many plugs as possible as fast as possible, so the quality declines - also they do weird shit pricing to coerce you into their Mega subscription package. Quantity > quality mostly.
Others such as unfiltered, dmitry sches and similar that were bought into the fold and not coded by bx are generally fine
ir I recall correctly, the vertigo vsc2 and the shadow hills UAD version wqs made by bx and they both dont suck 😅
vertigo vsc2 is coded by people long gone from bx.
Shadow Hills UAD is a decade old tho, needs some buffing. and as i said

Calenberger
Banned
1830 posts since 8 Sep, 2019 from Calenberg

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:19 am

I like the PA bashing, it brings down their prices for me. :tu:
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, kanntu meine musi hoeren da:
https://sonoryth.bandcamp.com/
Signature Sound

Ploki
KVRAF
2677 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:44 am

Calenberger wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:19 am
happy to have been of service

Tendou
KVRist
250 posts since 10 Mar, 2020

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:01 pm

Ploki wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:44 am
Calenberger wrote:
:D

Rik
KVRist
163 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from Ottawa, Canada

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:12 pm

Ploki wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:44 am
Calenberger wrote:
Where is the coupon code

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
10409 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:47 am

Vortifex wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:23 am
Diva is your cool dad, great dress sense, reliable, drives a Lexus but takes the Jaguar XJS out on weekends. Knifonium is your crazy Vietnam vet uncle who wears Hawaiian shirts, rides a Harley and never returns anything he borrows.
So you're recommending Knifonium, then? From that description it's the one I'd want.
zerocrossing wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:54 pm
I’ll still vote for Diva though. So versatile and tons of different models to mix and match. There are better analog emulations now (including RePro) but Diva still has a place in anyone’s plugin folder.
Not mine. I remember being hugely impressed the first time I demo'd it but later, when NI were selling u-he stuff for half price, I demo'd it again and found it more sterile and boring than I remembered. I ended up with the RePros and Hive instead, none of which I use very often. I am a little curious about Knifonium but I won't bother with the demo until I can get it cheap but if it's half as good as bx_oberhausen I will probably get it.
canadian_moose wrote:
I don't get the brand interest stuff. I take each product on its own merits - my last six cars have been from six different brands and my last 8 laptops have been from 6 different brands (3 x Dells). And bx_oberhausen is just about the best softsynth money can buy. It does stuff no other softsynth I have come across can do, yet is so simple that any idiot, even this one, can get the best out of it. So I don't care if everything else Brainworx has ever done blows goats, I am always going to be check out anything they make. I'm the same with Wim Wenders - he made my all-time favourite film. However, in the last 20 years his stuff has been very ordinary but I still watch his new films, just in case he makes another Wings of Desire.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 (Core i7, 32GB RAM, RTX2060, Win10), UR44C | Studio One | Thorn, bx_oberhausen, Vacuum Pro, Equator, Arcsyn, Pigments, Phase Plant, Union, Substance, TRK-01 | Uno, Analog Keys, Ultranova.

canadian_moose
KVRist
87 posts since 14 Oct, 2018

Post Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:23 am

Oberhausen is actually the one bx plugin I do have and use! I like it a lot.

I’m not suggesting it’s all garbage by any means but there seems to be an awful lot of overpriced, mediocre items with a few diamonds in the rough.

It just feels like it’s quantity over quality when I browse the PA site

hivkorn
Banned
3510 posts since 6 Sep, 2007 from France

Post Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:30 am

DIVA WIN - FINISH HIM - FATALITY

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
4704 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:32 am

I would rather like to know how Knifonium compares to the only other supposedly tube based synth emulation: Air Vacuum Pro...

vurt
addled muppet weed
71420 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:33 am

dkiva.

leeleema
KVRist
346 posts since 29 Jun, 2020

Post Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:05 am

Aye, a chap earlier in the thread said the bx_oberhausen presets were not very good. I think the opposite and find them excellent but I guess it depends on what music you like/make and as ever, YMMV. Regarding Diva, yes great sound but there's a few softsynths that have an 'authentic' sound these days, if that is what you're looking for. I always thought Diva's presets were very poor indeed, and didn't really show what it was capable of, but again YMMV. I'm with BONES actually, you should give bx_oberhausen a little try. I actually sold Diva after having bx_oberhausen for a couple of days.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
10409 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:11 pm

Yeah, it does feel like now I have bx_oberhausen that a lot of my other plugins won't get much use going forward. I never think to sell anything but there are definitely a handful of synths that I rarely use and could easily live without that I probably should unload.
Tj Shredder wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:32 am
I would rather like to know how Knifonium compares to the only other supposedly tube based synth emulation: Air Vacuum Pro...
I was thinking the same, only it was because the descriptions of Knifonium seem to also apply to Vacuum Pro. So maybe they are quite similar? I do love my Vacuum Pro (enough that I paid full price for it, rather than wait until it was on sale again).

I like how we've turned this into a bx_oberhausen thread.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 (Core i7, 32GB RAM, RTX2060, Win10), UR44C | Studio One | Thorn, bx_oberhausen, Vacuum Pro, Equator, Arcsyn, Pigments, Phase Plant, Union, Substance, TRK-01 | Uno, Analog Keys, Ultranova.

Return to “Instruments”