Ohmboyz Infinity

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OhmBoyz

pekbro wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:03 pm Certainly releasing this thing early access was not the best plan in the end. Hopefully a valuable
lesson was learned and we can all forget about that and give the guy a break if interested in
the plugin at all.

Well, I guess most of everyone of us in here is interested in it - yet at least for me it's at the same time a bit like watching a ship wreck at the shore...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

This thing is much better cpu wise now on my machine for some reason, dig the new presets & there's a lot (more) of them, some great starting points.

Will take this off the back shelf and blow the dust off, chance of this being a go to delay now. Like the new gui also.

Filters in the delay path sound great. Liquidy. Bring it Ohmforce!

jens wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:48 am
Red_Force wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:07 pm It's also years in the making - probably around 3 years of efforts, very much like Ohmicide.
No offense, but how much you manage to develop within a certain span of time depends on the speed with which you work during that time (which again depends on any number of factors) and thus it is entirely irrelevant how much time it took you to develop a certain something. The product is whatever it is, regardless of whether it took you ten days to develop it or ten years.
Of course - ultimately you guys are the judge of it. The information I was trying to convey is the budget at creating this on our side. The standard in the industry is to create a plugin then update it (2.0, 3.0 etc) incrementally every one or two years. Ohmboyz Infinity isn't an Ohmboyz 2.0. It's rebuild from the ground up. Of course it includes Ohmboyz DSP for the part that are similar but everything else is remade.

We don't claim to work fast BTW - indeed we like to think and research. When we do our job right, you get plugins you can use for a very long time.

leeleema wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:21 am
kingtubby wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:23 pm https://www.ohmforce.com/ViewProduct.do ... yzInfinity

Apparently it's out of beta next month.
Where does it say it is out of beta? I wouldn't hold my breath. It has been a really poor show from ohmforce, to be honest. And the chap who said it has taken three years to develop. 9am to 5pm most days for three years on a modulatable delay? For which they can recycle some previous code from ohmboyz? I seriously doubt it. Compare that to most other developers; Sean Costello at Valhalla DSP springs to mind. Also, general communication and updates on the Ohmforce website have been diabolical. Apparently it's still due out for Q4 2018. People, including myself, have already paid for this product.
I can confirm we're on the final cycle before 1.0 and that the version you have now is very close to what the 1.0 will be.

Communication has been indeed difficult and you can blame me for it. There has been some internal events at Ohm Force and lacks of visibility on when we'll be able to release resulted in lack of updates. It's not like anything was jeopardized but one delay after the other (...hem). We handled people's situation directly by email, offered some refund when requested etc. But yes, there are lessons for us there and we apologize for those frustrating bits.

Valhalla delay is a great great delay but it's also a very different delay. Ohmboyz Infinity has 8 taps and 2 delay lines, each of those with multiple fx, each of those with rich modulations. This means that there is a lot more to design than the DSP. AFAIK no other delay combine those 3 aspects: multiple taps, multi-fx, rich modulation. Making this a breeze to use is an intersting challenge :)

leeleema wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:34 pm
hivkorn wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:14 pm thx guys, i just seen a new version is available :D
It's still the old skin isn't it
Nope

Ah, I was updating from the plug-in updtae button which installs 0.04. I then manually removed older versions and installed 0.06 (Mac OSX did not like the installer package btw and I had to change security settings for that). All good

Red_Force wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:00 am
kingtubby wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:23 pm https://www.ohmforce.com/ViewProduct.do ... yzInfinity

Where does it say it is out of beta? I wouldn't hold my breath. It has been a really poor show from ohmforce, to be honest. And the chap who said it has taken three years to develop. 9am to 5pm most days for three years on a modulatable delay? For which they can recycle some previous code from ohmboyz? I seriously doubt it. Compare that to most other developers; Sean Costello at Valhalla DSP springs to mind. Also, general communication and updates on the Ohmforce website have been diabolical. Apparently it's still due out for Q4 2018. People, including myself, have already paid for this product.
I can confirm we're on the final cycle before 1.0 and that the version you have now is very close to what the 1.0 will be.

Communication has been indeed difficult and you can blame me for it. There has been some internal events at Ohm Force and lacks of visibility on when we'll be able to release resulted in lack of updates. It's not like anything was jeopardized but one delay after the other (...hem). We handled people's situation directly by email, offered some refund when requested etc. But yes, there are lessons for us there and we apologize for those frustrating bits.

Valhalla delay is a great great delay but it's also a very different delay. Ohmboyz Infinity has 8 taps and 2 delay lines, each of those with multiple fx, each of those with rich modulations. This means that there is a lot more to design than the DSP. AFAIK no other delay combine those 3 aspects: multiple taps, multi-fx, rich modulation. Making this a breeze to use is an intersting challenge :)
This version is much better, Red_Force. I can see it's almost finished and a huge step up from the blue skin iteration. While I think most feedback at this stage needs to be put to one side as you just need to get the damn thing out in a finished state, there are two fundamental things to be looked at for a version v1.00/v1.01:

*Really needs a single dry/wet knob - the in and separate dry knob I assume are for the option of overdriven inputs, but on a basic day to day operating level a single dry/wet knob e.g. for automation makes a lot more sense rather than fiddling about with/automating two sliders. The dry wet knob could basically be a hardwired single macro that changes the two other sliders so implementing that wouldn't interfere with the overall structure.

*The GUI is way too big for what is needed. It seems to be that big because of the modulation detail on the right. However there is a hell of a lot of wasted space on the left and in the centre - look at the space between the knobs in the bottom centre area!

Cheers

Red_Force wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:00 am

Questions.
Are you already working on an Arm version?
If I buy the upgrade from Ohm Boys now am I to expect an Arm version charge in the future?
How compatible is the GUI with touch screens? IMO every new product should be thinking about this. A duller more finger friendly touch screen GUI as a second choice like you did with the crazier GUIs on the older plug ins and the simplified version could be an option. :)

Thanks for any answers.

Red_Force wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:41 am
jens wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:48 am
Red_Force wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:07 pm It's also years in the making - probably around 3 years of efforts, very much like Ohmicide.
No offense, but how much you manage to develop within a certain span of time depends on the speed with which you work during that time (which again depends on any number of factors) and thus it is entirely irrelevant how much time it took you to develop a certain something. The product is whatever it is, regardless of whether it took you ten days to develop it or ten years.
Of course - ultimately you guys are the judge of it. The information I was trying to convey is the budget at creating this on our side. The standard in the industry is to create a plugin then update it (2.0, 3.0 etc) incrementally every one or two years. Ohmboyz Infinity isn't an Ohmboyz 2.0. It's rebuild from the ground up. Of course it includes Ohmboyz DSP for the part that are similar but everything else is remade.

We don't claim to work fast BTW - indeed we like to think and research. When we do our job right, you get plugins you can use for a very long time.

I understand. It also all now suddenly after all this time looks a lot better / more promising. In my opinion 99€ certainly is not too much for a plugin that is really well thought out and coded (whether that took three days or three years) and has the potential to be a GoTo for a long time. If it turns out to be this for me I'll be the first to shout "shut up and take my money".
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

instant crash reaper !! AU and VST version !
Last edited by hivkorn on Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Red_Force wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:00 am Valhalla delay is a great great delay but it's also a very different delay. Ohmboyz Infinity has 8 taps and 2 delay lines, each of those with multiple fx, each of those with rich modulations. This means that there is a lot more to design than the DSP. AFAIK no other delay combine those 3 aspects: multiple taps, multi-fx, rich modulation. Making this a breeze to use is an intersting challenge :)
DUNE 3. I bet it has more oscillators per voice than yours! :hihi:

Anybody using this in Studio One on Mac?

Considering getting it but Ohmicide and Quadfrohmage both crash/flip out here occasionally so I’d like to see if other people are successfully using it on the same host/platform as me.

New GUI looks great.

leeleema wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:49 am *Really needs a single dry/wet knob - the in and separate dry knob I assume are for the option of overdriven inputs, but on a basic day to day operating level a single dry/wet knob e.g. for automation makes a lot more sense rather than fiddling about with/automating two sliders. The dry wet knob could basically be a hardwired single macro that changes the two other sliders so implementing that wouldn't interfere with the overall structure.

*The GUI is way too big for what is needed. It seems to be that big because of the modulation detail on the right. However there is a hell of a lot of wasted space on the left and in the centre - look at the space between the knobs in the bottom centre area!

Cheers
Thx for the feedback!

The dry knob is because some people use delays only as send and other only as insert. Which is a big issue because patches can't be designed for both modes. When browsing patches you'll notice in the description of each banks instructions on how to listen the bank. But of course it's up to you to decide how you want to use it: insert (dry 100%) or send (dry 0%).
BTW we changed to this because of... user request. Many DAWs offer you direct Dry/Wet for any insert FX making that parameter in the plugin redundant anyway.
Note than on most presets (except the ones with a dry in in the delay lines) the tap gain knob next to the taps is in effect a Wet gain.

GUI size: another case of "hard to please everyone". We made sure during development that we would be able to offer different scales for the UI (like in U-He plugins) if there was a demand for it.
You'll note it hasn't changed in size since the blue one which was amongst other things precisely testing that. There haven't been so far but I heard you :)
Last edited by Red_Force on Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

machinesworking wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:22 am Questions.
Are you already working on an Arm version?
If I buy the upgrade from Ohm Boys now am I to expect an Arm version charge in the future?
How compatible is the GUI with touch screens? IMO every new product should be thinking about this. A duller more finger friendly touch screen GUI as a second choice like you did with the crazier GUIs on the older plug ins and the simplified version could be an option. :)

Thanks for any answers.
KVR is still an edgy place :)
Nope, we're not on Arm for now. We are exploring non desktop techs though, but it would take a very different approach in our view to offer a good experience on touch screens for instance.

Return to “Effects”