Electro Harmonix HOG pedal plugin (freeze/gliss effect)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A super long time ago I had an ehx HOG pedal and there was a freeze/glissando effect that you could get with the external mod pedal. Basically you could play a chord, move the pedal to freeze the chord, then while still in the freeze position you could play another chord and when you brought the pedal back down the frozen notes of the first chord would gliss/portamento into the second chord. I really miss using that sound and was wondering if anybody who might be familiar with the pedal knew of any software plugins that could replicate this effect? I'm not so much interested in the other pitch/filter fx the pedal had to offer as they are fairly simple to replicate. But that gliding gliss effect sounded really awesome, especially on guitars.
Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

There's frostbite [https://www.audiothing.net/effects/frostbite/] that might do that, but I haven't tried it...
Interested to see what comes up, I love my hog!!

Frostbite has some interesting freeze textures, unfortunately there is no way to gliss notes from one frozen state to another.
A plugin that kind of comes close is Cloud Machine by Puremagnetik. However there’s limited functionality in controlling the freeze (more of a spectral/granular blur with Cloud Machine). But it gets the general transition from note to note that I’m looking for. However I can rarely get get it to run stable in Logic Pro.
It would be pretty cool if Line 6, IK Multimedia or Overloud or any guitar amp/pedal sim dev to attempt an emulation of it...but I’d imagine it could be complicated since it has quite a number of different functionalities..at least compared to the POG pedal.

There's also GRM Evolution - can freeze and glissando between chords. Not cheap though, unless you pick it up via one of their sales...

Return to “Effects”