No generic controllers scripts found

propagoose
KVRer
1 posts since 6 Aug, 2020

Post Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:29 am

Hi,

There are no Generic controller scripts in my Bitwig installation (Generic Midi Keyboard; Generic Midi Keyboar dwith 8 knobs) in C:\Program Files\Bitwig Studio\3.2.6\resources\ControllerScripts. There is no 'Generic' folder there even. The corresponding html documents are in the 'doc' folder however.

Presumably this is the reason that when trying to open them nothing happens when right clicking on these controllers in Bitwig and looking for the 'reveal file' option.

moss
KVRAF
2319 posts since 13 May, 2004

Post Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:43 am

Some (especially newer) Bitwig extensions are written in Java and part of the core software. Therefore, you will not find it as a seaparate JavaScript file.

DoubleStop
KVRer
4 posts since 28 Oct, 2017

Post Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:34 am

I saw in a video made during Bitwig 2 that it was possible add a line in the script that would "Print" midi data coming from a device. You could find the Generic folder and then edit the script. Then you can click on "Show Control Script Console" and observe data coming from your controller? So now the Generic folder is no longer obtainable? Does this mean that is not possible to see data from a generic MIDI controller?

moss
KVRAF
2319 posts since 13 May, 2004

Post Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:55 am

DoubleStop wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:34 am
I saw in a video made during Bitwig 2 that it was possible add a line in the script that would "Print" midi data coming from a device. You could find the Generic folder and then edit the script. Then you can click on "Show Control Script Console" and observe data coming from your controller? So now the Generic folder is no longer obtainable? Does this mean that is not possible to see data from a generic MIDI controller?
No, it only means that the default generic scripts are no longer scripts and therefore you cannot change them.

You can still do the same if you generate a new script from the help screen and add your println.

However, if you want to log MIDI data from your controller it is easier to e.g. use my MIDI monitor which is part of DrivenByMoss: http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Bitwig/Bitwig.html

BTW source code of new controller implementations from Bitwig people are available here: https://github.com/bitwig/bitwig-extensions

Return to “Controller Scripting”