One Synth Challenge #138: Surge (MrKarolus Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks for the words of encouragement Taron!

Last edited by Aro on Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

A little prank from me :) Not entry!
https://soundcloud.com/user-5930296/split-surge
Four patches, of which up to three sound simultaneously. Three standard ones from the split category, with my Toy Organ at the end.
I wanted to pay tribute to the huge power of this synthesizer! I hope that this will amuse some people and inspire others :party:

Very cool, IV! Nice electronica showcase! 8)

Ok, I can't stop goofing around with this... I mean, check out the guitar that joins the flute:
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/surgech ... Hg0IlD3dgN

Still no entry, though, I could imagine I might make this some sort of track, not sure... at the moment it's just experimenting around and: W O W !!! It's even better than I felt it would be and I felt it would be a great synth. Stunning!

Found one little "hickup", well... I think, I'd guess it does some sort of auto-oversampling with higher frequencies?! Noticed that the guitar sound could actually upset the CPU when I go to high with it. But in those octaves I played here it totally left the CPU unphased, like... it's nothing. Unreal. Love it! :hyper:

Oh, and I still have only used onboard effects from Surge exclusively also to place the sounds in the stereo field, using also delay as send effect. Super pleasant to get depth and placement for the sound AND you can still hook it to the automation routing as I did for that main arpeggio, modulating an EQ along with a number of parameters to control the playing style and loudness with just one midi slider. Feels absolutely beautiful to work with. No troubles (except, well, the high guitar notes, which I didn't need anyway!).

All oscillators are 2x oversampled.

@Taron

So that's harpsichord, flute and guitar? Fun combination. Only possible with synths I guess.

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:27 am All oscillators are 2x oversampled.
Ah, would be interesting to figure out what goes crazy with the comb filter guitar at high notes (C6 ish and above).
Thanks, ED! ;)

Aro wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:34 pm @Taron

So that's harpsichord, flute and guitar? Fun combination. Only possible with synths I guess.
Wehehell, I don't think it would make a bad combination in real life, IF you get to tune the harpsichord properly, which is a different kind of challenge altogether, hehe. (where's the "smartipants emoticon"? :borg: :scared: )

Yo, Taron! Hats off for that guitar :wink:

Taron wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:48 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:27 am All oscillators are 2x oversampled.
Ah, would be interesting to figure out what goes crazy with the comb filter guitar at high notes (C6 ish and above).
Thanks, ED! ;)
My guess would be biquad filter instability.

@Guenon: THANKS! :hug:
@EvilDragon: Would that spike the CPU?

Hum, unsure, actually. Send the patch so that baconpaul can take a look?

There you go...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lol. I was working on a project were I'm using Surge and now found out that it's on OSC again. :D I must participate this month!

Taron wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:50 pm
Aro wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:34 pm @Taron

Wehehell, I don't think it would make a bad combination in real life, IF you get to tune the harpsichord properly, which is a different kind of challenge altogether, hehe. (where's the "smartipants emoticon"? :borg: :scared: )
Harpsichord, guitar. No flute. I just really listened to this song this morning. I only imagined a harpsichord in a orchestral situation, but I guess I'm wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXCR9-1u9jY

Return to “Instruments”