One Synth Challenge #138: Surge (MrKarolus Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Interesting, feels very Kate Bush inspired. Fun listen! :)
Thanks, Aro!

In the last round some guys said, that they find it interesting to follow how an track emerges from just some ideas and fragments in the beginning to the final submission. So here's my frist few fragments ...
I will go for an even louder, noisier, lousy, distored, less intelllectual, dark kind of industrial/hardstyle than last time: https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/dark ... OWuH3c9DDe

] Peter:H [ wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:46 pm In the last round some guys said, that they find it interesting to follow how an track emerges from just some ideas and fragments in the beginning to the final submission.
For sure keep sharing those.

-

This synth is blowing my mind. What great stuff will OSCers come up with? Well, I'm really liking the samples posted so far...

Also Surge has a very low CPU use and 0 stability issues so far in Ableton 10 :clap:

Musicians are going to create anyway, but this synth and extra prize money should make this OSC an extra good one.
"I can't listen to the Ninth anymore at all."

Hello there you people!

I'm not really known around here, but I listen to the One Synth Challenges occasionally and have dropped in 3 times I think.
Since Surge is such a dream of a synthesizer I think this might be a good occasion to drop in again.
I have already started 2 things, one of which uses only one instance of surge and I have just uploaded it to soundcloud. It started with stumbling upon a nice piano sound.
This may or may not become my entry... I don't know yet, but I would very much like to hear any opinions.

https://soundcloud.com/maze-6000/the-ca ... e-instance

.... and I made another one tonight, which I just uploaded as well... this one would not be legal as it is though, since it uses Ozone 9 Elements for mastering, which is not free, although I got it for free :) Oh and NI Solid Compressor, also on the master. No other plugins except airwindows tape though, also on the master.

https://soundcloud.com/maze-6000/shiny-100-surge-vst

] Peter:H [ wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:46 pm So here's my frist few fragments ...
I will go for an even louder, noisier, lousy, distored, less intelllectual, dark kind of industrial/hardstyle than last time:
This is HUGE!

MaZe 6000 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:53 am .... and I made another one tonight, which I just uploaded as well...
You could combine them and it would be really great!

vitalker wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:18 pm
MaZe 6000 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:53 am .... and I made another one tonight, which I just uploaded as well...
You could combine them and it would be really great!
I thought something like that too. If the first one broke out into drums midway, that might be interesting.

Really like this :tu:
"Micro Kid speaks digi-talk.."

Thanks guys!
My first intention was also to add heavy distorted drums to the first one, but then I was tempted to see how far I could get with one instance... If I was abetter piano player I could probably take it much further, but it's not the best way to go to get a great sound since it can get very mashed and muffled quickly.

Right now I have a few stability issues: I can still open and play the second one, but if I try to open Surge it crashes, and the first one crashes immediately upon loading the project (FL Studio 20, Win 10). It's not a great loss since I still have the presets but if this keeps happening it might be an issue.

I'm really impressed with the upgrades to surge. Going to participate with this one I think, if I remember correctly, guenon made one of my favorite osc tracks with this last time, his TD homage.

So far seems pretty stable in Bitwig 3.2.6 (been playing around with it). Hopefully stays that way!

FM routing - for 3 > 2 > 1, is there a way to do depth from 3-2 separate from 2-1? It seems like the FM depth slider just increases all connections with the same slider.

No way to do that without a pretty considerable rework.

Not a big deal, but I can't seem to find a way to re-initialize the patch after I've tweaked or clicked on a preset.

Make your own init patch, or use one of init patches from Factory->Templates folder.

Return to “Instruments”