set up for twin keyboards

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hallo, from Wales, UK
I'm having problems with the KVR Spam Filter, so I'm going to try posting a paragraph at a time, to see if I can get something up, and maybe identify where the problem text may be. Please bear with me......

I'm new here, and I've hesitated somewhat over which sub-forum might be the appropriate one.....please excuse me if this isn't the best choice.
I'm a keyboard player, and one of my strands of activity is that I am impressed with the several 'organs' of an online company it may be better not to name. I have two good keyboards readily available, and am reflecting on the practicalities of feeding each to a separate 'organ', to give a two-manual effect.

Sincerely
Ian G
Wales UK

Continuing:
(Have to say here: I'm not an experienced DAW user, and would go that route only if there were really no other way. I also prefer physical connection over virtual midi-cables, though again that's not an absolute ‘no no’.)
So my thoughts are: I could probably have two ‘organs’ up on the same computer, with two USB-midi cables in. But given the output is audio, I'm not sure how that would then work ? Is there eg a software mixer ap which could pick up the two audio outputs and direct them, combined, to the jack socket or a USB port ?
Taking each organ to a separate computer would answer all problems, so far as I can see. And with older notebooks very cheap, that's not an outlandish possibility.
Finally, I wonder whether there is actually a W I n d o w s application which provides, as it were, the infrastructure for this sort of thing, into which one would simply have to 'plug' the obvious outside physical connections ie usb and phono. A well-known German online organ has obviously cracked it - is something skeletal but similar available as basic software ?
Sincerely
Ian G
Wales UK

you should have no problens.
each organ could be set up to receive different midi channels, then set the keyboards up to semd to those channels :)

so 2 midi kb, an audio/midi interface, vst host and the organs.
hope this helps.

Hallo, Vurt. Good to 'meet' you and thank you for replying.
"2 midi kb, an audio/midi interface, vst host and the organs." Yes, I can see my way to playing in to the computer. It's the double sound out I'm still not quite clear about. Could you say a little more (very basic) about 'audio interface', please ?

Stay safe

Ian G.

at its most basic, an audio interface allows you to feed audio in and out of the computer.

if using your kb as midi input only, you wont need inputs, but to out put to monitors to hear it.

if the organs are vst instruments, you will open these in a host (cubase for example) which will give you two mixer channels for the organs and a master output.

you would configure your host, to out put to the audio interface, and there to monitors or headphones.

Thanks

Assuming that this is for VST instruments, if your interest is in using such a setup to play live then it'd be useful to demo one of the VST hosts built for the scenario you describe such as https://gigperformer.com/
This is an intuitive host where you patch in only what you need into a "rackspace" so it can be as simple or as complex as required. All of the mixing with eq and fx are done within the host and your soundcard would send a finished mix to your choice of monitor etc.

Just to say: I have today for the first time set up two keyboards, a Roland A-Pro and my Kawai piano, simultaneously as midi-ins to the same modest machine (a Packard Bell Dot s2), and then run two instances of the same organ simulation, each under Savihost. There seems to be no unsupportable escalation of load in running two instances (judging by latency and buffer settings, and then the outcome). However, as I suspected, the sound out is an issue. I have a Behringer USB card, and for the moment am able to direct one output through that, and take the other through the onboard soundcard and the earphone socket. So not a final set-up, and all a bit Heath Robinson, but progress in the right direction. (Previous hints as to more sophisticated set-ups are noted and remain to be investigated).
Thanks to all
Ian G.

If you can tell us which organs you are considering, we will be ale to give you some more informed, relevant advice. :)

Oh, and dump the use of the onboard sound card and earphone socket. You should be able to route the audio of both through the audio interface.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

yeah both should be fine through the behringer.
can you tell us which one it is? someone might be able to help you set it up if we know the model :)

glad to hear input was straightforward :tu:

Well, it'll be interesting if the spam filter lets this thro !
The sounds I'm using are one of the 'organs' from the Virtual Organ Company qv online.
The Behringer is the UCA 202.
And while we're on the subject: using Asio4all, the latency vs breakup balance is quite fine. I've been wondering whether something like a Creative Soundblaster 5.1 might give a better outcome with actual Asio ?
Cheers, chaps !

DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

"You should be able to route the audio of both through the audio interface."
It's unavailable within the plugin for the second use - shown as in use by another application.
Ian G.

Ian Graham wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:48 am "You should be able to route the audio of both through the audio interface."
It's unavailable within the plugin for the second use - shown as in use by another application.
Ian G.
That's because you're using two separate instances of Savihost (each with a single instance of your organ plugin), I suspect.

If you were hosting both plugin instances in a single plugin host, you'll be able to route all audio through the same device.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Morning, whyterabbyt.
Yes, I follow that.
I kind of cling to Savihost because I know it works where it works, and I've got used to the various routes.
Could you recommend a suitable multiple-host ?
(I suspect that may in turn relate to the specific sort of soundfont. My initial inquiry here was in the context of the VOC 'organs', which are *.dll (VSTi ?) but I am also interested in other sounds and therefore other font formats. ) I would prefer for as long as possible to work through a standalone plug-in host, rather than get involved with a DAW, but I acknowledge at the back of my mind that may not be be sustainable for ever......)
Stay safe!
Ian G.

Return to “Instruments”