DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

melodyz wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:34 am hi for the akai fire were you going to have bitwig switch to the mix screen when perform mode is enabled on the fire?
I looked into that but did not see the advantage of it. Having an automatic selection makes only sense if it also restores a previous mode but when should that happen?
melodyz wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:34 am SETTINGS
Session - Flip Session ON the Fire doesnt respond to perform button anymore to see Mix view on Fire (turn Flip Session ON then click shift button one time then try to press perform button and you will see its stuck in one mode)
Thanks, I am afraid the solution is to remove this option. The reason is it would require duplicated monitoring of tracks and slots.
melodyz wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:34 am Drum Sequencer - Turn off empty Drum pads - doesnt seem to do anything.
It effects only the Drum 64 mode.

moss wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:45 am
imcubix wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:11 am Hi Moss,

Thanks for your great work. Amazing scripts for the Komplete Kontrol S keyboards.

I noticed there is a "max speed" for turning the knobs using this script. For example, I turn a knob at medium speed and it changes the parameter by a certain amount. Turning it faster doesn't change the parameter more, almost as if there is a fixed max speed for parameter change via the knobs.

Is this intentional? This doesn't happen when I use the generic flexi script.
Are you talking about the 1st series? Are you on Windows 10?
Yes I'm using Komplete Kontrol S61 1st series

I'm on Mac OSX

moss wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:53 am
lilyyy wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:11 am Is it possible for the AKAI Fire to respect the pre-roll settings before recording? The pre-roll is being skipped when I start recording from the Fire but it works when I start recording from my laptop. Sorry if I missed something in the documentation. Also, thank you for the script!
Can't see a problem here. How do you start recording? Arranger? Clip launcher?
Pre-roll is ignored with both ALT+REC in the clip launcher and with arming and playing in the arranger. POP OS 20.04, Bitwig 3.2.6, if that helps. :)

imcubix wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:01 pm

Thanks for your great work. Amazing scripts for the Komplete Kontrol S keyboards.

I noticed there is a "max speed" for turning the knobs using this script. For example, I turn a knob at medium speed and it changes the parameter by a certain amount. Turning it faster doesn't change the parameter more, almost as if there is a fixed max speed for parameter change via the knobs.

I'm on Mac OSX
I am confused, were is that setting? In the Komplete plugin? My Mk1 implementation uses the low level USB protocol to make the display and all buttons accessible. This means that there is no support for the specific Komplete features.

lilyyy wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:43 pm
lilyyy wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:11 am Is it possible for the AKAI Fire to respect the pre-roll settings before recording? The pre-roll is being skipped when I start recording from the Fire but it works when I start recording from my laptop. Sorry if I missed something in the documentation. Also, thank you for the script!
Pre-roll is ignored with both ALT+REC in the clip launcher and with arming and playing in the arranger. POP OS 20.04, Bitwig 3.2.6, if that helps. :)
ALT+REC does not start recording. It creates a clip, enables overdub and starts playback. There is no way to run the pre-roll for that.
Not sure what you mean with "arming and playing in the arranger". If you enable overdub and start playback, there is also no pre-roll but also not if you do that in Bitwig. If you press the arranger record button pre-count works for me both on the device and in Bitwig.

moss wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:00 pm ALT+REC does not start recording. It creates a clip, enables overdub and starts playback. There is no way to run the pre-roll for that.
Not sure what you mean with "arming and playing in the arranger". If you enable overdub and start playback, there is also no pre-roll but also not if you do that in Bitwig. If you press the arranger record button pre-count works for me both on the device and in Bitwig.
Oh, I see. Sorry, I wasn't aware that having overdub enabled makes Bitwig skip the pre-roll. That explains everything. Thanks again for the script and for taking the time to clarify this bit with me. :D

moss wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:56 pm
imcubix wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:01 pm

I'm on Mac OSX
I am confused, were is that setting? In the Komplete plugin? My Mk1 implementation uses the low level USB protocol to make the display and all buttons accessible. This means that there is no support for the specific Komplete features.
Sorry for the confusion; I'm not referring to a setting, but an odd behavior in this script where parameters' rate of change via turning knobs is capped after a certain speed.

To demonstrate: in device mode, try modulating a macro of the device by turning a knob 180 degrees at a slow speed. It will modulate the parameter by a certain amount. Now try turning the knob same amount, but at a much faster speed. Despite turning the knob the same amount, the amount of parameter change is much lower because there seems to be a capped rate of change when using the knobs in this script.

moss wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:00 pm
lilyyy wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:43 pm
ALT+REC does not start recording. It creates a clip, enables overdub and starts playback. There is no way to run the pre-roll for that.
I would like to add there is no pre roll because a clip is created first. In Bitwig if we clip record (small record button inside a clip) there is a pre roll count in even with overdub enabled as long as there is no clip yet. I like the count in myself at least to get things started.

imcubix wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:38 am Sorry for the confusion; I'm not referring to a setting, but an odd behavior in this script where parameters' rate of change via turning knobs is capped after a certain speed.

To demonstrate: in device mode, try modulating a macro of the device by turning a knob 180 degrees at a slow speed. It will modulate the parameter by a certain amount. Now try turning the knob same amount, but at a much faster speed. Despite turning the knob the same amount, the amount of parameter change is much lower because there seems to be a capped rate of change when using the knobs in this script.
Got it! Seems like my interpretation of the knob value was not correct. Will be fixed in the next update!

moss wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:14 pm
imcubix wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:38 am Sorry for the confusion; I'm not referring to a setting, but an odd behavior in this script where parameters' rate of change via turning knobs is capped after a certain speed.

Got it! Seems like my interpretation of the knob value was not correct. Will be fixed in the next update!
Awesome! And thanks again for your work. This script is amazing :tu:

DrivenByMoss 10.6.1 is online!

Get it from http://mossgrabers.de
  • APC40MkII
    • New: Scene buttons are lit in the color of the scene.
  • Akai Fire
    • Fixed: Ghost notes could appear when quickly editing pitches in the sequencer and create a new clip.
    • Fixed: Removed session flip option, which did crash.
    • Fixed: Also prevent deletion of note in sequencer when knob was touched but not turned.
  • Komplete Kontrol MkI
    • Fixed: Interpretation of knob speed was wrong.
  • Push
    • Fixed: Mapped User Parameters did not show their name and value.
Enjoy!

Thank you so much. The Fire is working better now. Lets hope this is the fix for good on those patterns. I have one final question if moving the pattern to an empty slot with no midi track (completely empty) created, is it normal for the fire to still display the data from the last midi clip?
I think there is something still off when using a mix of the pattern up down buttons and the mouse. If we click another area with the mouse. the fire still thinks the pattern should be placed somewhere else when pressing alt and record to create a new clip (instead creating into the next adjacent slot)

Hi Jürgen, I am new to Bitwig and using a Native Instruments KK S88 Mk2, Bitwig 3.2.6 and the DrivenByMoss-10.6.0-Bitwig on a WIndows 10 64 bit. I was setting up keysplits on the keyboard (1st zone sending on midi channel 1, 2nd on midi channel 2, etc., each midi channel being sent to its own instrument track in Bitwig) and using the controller script "Komplete Kontrol S-series mkII" but it seems, this script filters out any midi channel > 1. Its working fine when using the controller script "Generic Keyboard + 8 Device Knobs (CC 20 - 27)". It also works with standalone Kontakt and Machine 2. But -of course I would like to use the "Komplete Kontrol S-series mkII" script in Bitwig since it comes with a couple of really nice features :) I guess this is bug, filtering out midi channels probably isn´t done on purpose? Thanks a lot, Jürgen Melzer

juergenmelzer wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:46 pm Hi Jürgen, I am new to Bitwig and using a Native Instruments KK S88 Mk2, Bitwig 3.2.6 and the DrivenByMoss-10.6.0-Bitwig on a WIndows 10 64 bit. I was setting up keysplits on the keyboard (1st zone sending on midi channel 1, 2nd on midi channel 2, etc., each midi channel being sent to its own instrument track in Bitwig) and using the controller script "Komplete Kontrol S-series mkII" but it seems, this script filters out any midi channel > 1. Its working fine when using the controller script "Generic Keyboard + 8 Device Knobs (CC 20 - 27)". It also works with standalone Kontakt and Machine 2. But -of course I would like to use the "Komplete Kontrol S-series mkII" script in Bitwig since it comes with a couple of really nice features :) I guess this is bug, filtering out midi channels probably isn´t done on purpose? Thanks a lot, Jürgen Melzer
It is more the other way round, you have to ask for the MIDI channel and if I remember correctly, when I first implemented this you could not have this set up at all. I played a bit with it but it seems not to work reliably when DAW mode is active (my test setup got reset to the default values when I selected Mixer). Therefore, I suggest to use the Bitwig split features instead, take a look here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... SmNIVLK1Wh

Hi Moss,
Thank you so much for all your hard work, it is greatly appreciated, and makes a huge difference in the overall use of Bitwig!

A quick question, will you be supporting the new Novation Launchkey 37 [MK3] which will be released tomorrow? (There will also be 25, 49 and 61 key versions.)

Thanks again...

Return to “Controller Scripting”