ReFx Nexus 3 (N3) Finally here!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nexus

Touch The Universe wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:36 am I have nexus 3, and was planning to release a soundset, but they dont' seem interested to work with any other sound designers, so, i'll release my own soundset, is this possible, let me know, if not, I will sale this thing.
No you can't release your own soundset for it as only their specific sound designers have access to the actual underlying synth engine.

If you want to create soundsets/expansions you'd need to get Avenger instead where you can happily create/release your own.

Poppamoet wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:18 pm
damayor wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:34 am What exactly is a hip hop sound? Boom box clicking? Turn take scratching? Gun shot? I make rap and I can use any sound to make a melody.
Good for you ...lol you can make a melody out of any sound ... thats Genius ...hows that working out career wise ?.. lots of people can make music out of any sound .... but I prefer to start with sounds that are dope and crafted for the culture im creating for....lol I wouldnt be in a session wtih a Country artist and bring in a Supersaw and Tech house Bass ...lol although I can create with that....lol . I like sounds more tailored to someone rapping over.Genius and after working in the camps of Snoop, Eminem, Kanye, Kid ink , Futuristic , TDe , Jetlife etc ...I learned a little about .. what will work and what wont work .. thats why so many records are sampled and what sounds do you most often hear in the Culture Genius... and making beats. and when I was referring to Hip hop sounds I was referring to ones that arent sounding like something Lady gaga should be singing over.... lol stuff more lo fi, dirty more organic, cooler key combos layers..lol why you think RC20 Retrocolor is so popular in the culture right now . When you hear a Kendrick Lamar Record or Drake record are they just rapping over anything or a Snoop Record.... side eye... always gotta be one guy that says something ridiculous about what he can do.... you can use any sound I get it ..... you can use anything in Country music also however.... there are certain sounds..that most cultures and styles gravitates to...lol I learned that years ago . and thats what I was referring to lol.... when people are up in a session wanting to hear what you got on limited time and see how the A&R's and artist react to that..any sound .lol let me know how that works out for your career ....... you will be out of work at home hobbying it up ....talking about what you can do..... with any sound....lol.... I love creativity ...but some things work better than others sir.. just like the Nexus creators do a GREAT job with Dance music and Synth Pop, K Pop..... right now Omnisphere, Electra 2, Output Arcade and Komplete Run Hip Hop, R&B, TRap outside of samples and session players...Nexus needs some updated sounds that like I said cater more to whats going on now. and there new sounds are not it.....at least for me..YET.. if they work for you GREAT. maybe you can teach me.. im a always be a student of the game.... if anyone knows one thing it should be They dont know much... lol thats why earlier i said I know a little about what works....lol and I am not seeing many people open up nexus 3 in Hip Hop right now as much as they used to...when im in sessions.I actually see Xpand 2 a 14 dollar vst more than Nexus 3 in sessions right now. true story, When I was addressing what I would like to see in Nexus 3 not sure why you needed to tell me what you can do...... lol if you cant create the sounds for Nexus 3 that I was referring to.lol then not sure what your comment was for.....lol but its all good salute... if you really have some techniques to create with said sounds and they are working out for you Pm me maybe we can collab and get some money.
I stopped reading your novel at the career wise. But to answer your question I do music film time and have never had a 9-5 job and have been in the music industry for 25 years. I drive a exotic car and a benz and own a home that was paid for by my music. So it's been working good for me id say.

Touch The Universe wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:36 am I have nexus 3, and was planning to release a soundset, but they dont' seem interested to work with any other sound designers, so, i'll release my own soundset, is this possible, let me know, if not, I will sale this thing.
I did that some years ago, it was an interesting exercise in "backwards" sound design as you had to start from a Nexus preset and then modify it as much as Nexus allows. The really interesting part was that you can actually do quite a lot. Not just writing sequences and gate patterns, but if you go as far as you can under the hood it's quite surprising how much fun you can have.

That being said - while it sold well and I still have old customers using those sounds - I would never ever do something like that again. While every synth I made sounds for, every developer have been happy - but not reFX. They dislike anyone doing unofficial 3rd party stuff. I can actually understand that. They want to have a monopoly on presets and don't want any competition. That's what Nexus is all about. Presets.

From a sound designing perspective, it was quite fun. But the amount of problems that it brought with it - no. I would never do that again. And then you got all sorts of people giving you shit because the presets won't work with a cracked version of Nexus, and/or they update it so the presets won't work.

My recommendation would be to make presets for something else.
Spend time on things you will be appreciated for.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

damayor wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:27 am
damayor wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:34 am What exactly is a hip hop sound? Boom box clicking? Turn take scratching? Gun shot? I make rap and I can use any sound to make a melody.
Good for you .
Last edited by Poppamoet on Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Good for you ...lol you can make a melody out of any sound ... thats Genius ...hows that working out career wise ?.. lots of people can make music out of any sound .... but I prefer to start with sounds that are dope and crafted for the culture im creating for....lol I wouldnt be in a session wtih a Country artist and bring in a Supersaw and Tech house Bass ...lol although I can create with that....lol . I like sounds more tailored to someone rapping over.Genius and after working in the camps of Snoop, Eminem, Kanye, Kid ink , Futuristic , TDe , Jetlife etc ...I learned a little about .. what will work and what wont work .. thats why so many records are sampled and what sounds do you most often hear in the Culture Genius... and making beats. and when I was referring to Hip hop sounds I was referring to ones that arent sounding like something Lady gaga should be singing over.... lol stuff more lo fi, dirty more organic, cooler key combos layers..lol why you think RC20 Retrocolor is so popular in the culture right now . When you hear a Kendrick Lamar Record or Drake record are they just rapping over anything or a Snoop Record.... side eye... always gotta be one guy that says something ridiculous about what he can do.... you can use any sound I get it ..... you can use anything in Country music also however.... there are certain sounds..that most cultures and styles gravitates to...lol I learned that years ago . and thats what I was referring to lol.... when people are up in a session wanting to hear what you got on limited time and see how the A&R's and artist react to that..any sound .lol let me know how that works out for your career ....... you will be out of work at home hobbying it up ....talking about what you can do..... with any sound....lol.... I love creativity ...but some things work better than others sir.. just like the Nexus creators do a GREAT job with Dance music and Synth Pop, K Pop..... right now Omnisphere, Electra 2, Output Arcade and Komplete Run Hip Hop, R&B, TRap outside of samples and session players...Nexus needs some updated sounds that like I said cater more to whats going on now. and there new sounds are not it.....at least for me..YET.. if they work for you GREAT. maybe you can teach me.. im a always be a student of the game.... if anyone knows one thing it should be They dont know much... lol thats why earlier i said I know a little about what works....lol and I am not seeing many people open up nexus 3 in Hip Hop right now as much as they used to...when im in sessions.I actually see Xpand 2 a 14 dollar vst more than Nexus 3 in sessions right now. true story, When I was addressing what I would like to see in Nexus 3 not sure why you needed to tell me what you can do...... lol if you cant create the sounds for Nexus 3 that I was referring to.lol then not sure what your comment was for.....lol but its all good salute... if you really have some techniques to create with said sounds and they are working out for you Pm me maybe we can collab and get some money.
Let me give you advice my friend: don't present your bizarre opinions as if they were The Ten Commandments :lol: :lol: :lol: .
For instance, I'm not a big fan of Nexus myself, but I think it has 10x better sound quality than Xpand.
You think Nexus isn't suitable for hip hop? Go tell that to metro boomin
Also, go tell Zaytoven that his old motifs and fantoms aren't suitable for hip hop.
Do you know that Roddy Ricch - The Box's (topped the Billboard Hot 100) sounds are from the roland srx orchestra which is more than a decade old?
Do you that the 808 was created in 1980?
Get real man.
It's all about creativity, it's not about having the latest soft synth/drum kit/any new shiney toy.

A bad producer will complain about a given sound being "dated", a good producer will use it to produce the next top 40 hit.

Bippo wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:57 pm
Good for you .
Last edited by Poppamoet on Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

I hope you don't use your guitar and tenor sax in your final mix...those sounds are very outdated..even more than Nexus :hihi:
Anyway it was nice talking to you, dr.dre, cya next time :lol: :lol:

Bippo wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:27 pm I hope you don't use your guitar and tenor sax in your final mix...those sounds are very outdated..even more than Nexus :hihi:
Anyway it was nice talking to you, dr.dre, cya next time :lol: :lol:
lol

Since you edited out the bs you wrote earlier about you playing drums+bass+keys+guitar+tenor sax and about being a super mega producer who made hits for the biggest artists in the world, but still can't find sounds which are "suitable" and aren't "outdated" (like piano for instance...how could anyone want to use such an outdated sound in 2020?) to your genre of music in a vsti with thousands different presets, I guess you realise the mistake you've done. Next time don't bs so much that you'll regret it and won't be able to stand behind your words 😂

Problem with N3 :?

When several instances of N3 are put in a group folder in Cubase 10.5 Pro (on Win10), the N3 GUI is not showing for any of them. Only a blank, white rectangle. Pointing inside with a mouse sometimes produces a numerical tooltip and that's all. Only N3 has this problem.
Individual N3 tracks (not grouped) are working fine, the GUI there looks ok.
One more thing - during the playback with the N3 GUI open, the song position indicator in C10 (white vertical line) is jumping instead of smoothly moving forward.

Has anyone the slightest idea, what might be the cause of this strange behaviour?
We tried changing the graphic drivers but no luck :shrug:

Lol to the guy who said you can’t make hip hop beats with Lady Gaga sounds. That actually sounds like my entire sound/style that I like to play with. I think using the same sounds for the same genres of music gets pretty dull and monotonous...

INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/Take 5/ASM Hydrasynth
Korg Prologue16\Behringer DM12D/Pro-800/Meris Pedals

it seems here are many Nexus experts? :D

Is it possible to reduce the LFO Gain of the Phaser effect to 0?

Kumi_27 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:58 pm Problem with N3 :?

When several instances of N3 are put in a group folder in Cubase 10.5 Pro (on Win10), the N3 GUI is not showing for any of them. Only a blank, white rectangle. Pointing inside with a mouse sometimes produces a numerical tooltip and that's all. Only N3 has this problem.
Individual N3 tracks (not grouped) are working fine, the GUI there looks ok.
One more thing - during the playback with the N3 GUI open, the song position indicator in C10 (white vertical line) is jumping instead of smoothly moving forward.

Has anyone the slightest idea, what might be the cause of this strange behaviour?
We tried changing the graphic drivers but no luck :shrug:
Just tried with 10 instances in 1 folder, and no issue here with the following specs:

Windows 10 64 bit
Latest NVIDIA drivers
Nexus 3.2.1 (VST3)
Cubase 10.5.20

GMusic wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:12 am Just tried with 10 instances in 1 folder, and no issue here
In the meantime the issue was tested and confirmed by reFX, at least part of it.
Turns out, the GUI hardware acceleration in N3 is causing Cubase to freeze, when more than one Nexus 3 instance is open. The solution is to turn off the acceleration and use software rendering. We were told, that the software rendering is faster too, and the h/w acceleration probably will be dropped from the future versions of Nexus, as there are more problems than advantages.

The second problem we figured out by ourself - blank white GUI is apparently caused by Cubase (faulty) memory management.
When You put too many active VST plugin tracks in one Cubase track folder, sooner or later You probably will encounter this problem too. Maybe a memory leak or some other problem with memory allocation, because some other plugins' GUI were affected as well - for example they were incomplete.
We had to move some plugins to other folders (not subfolders, they had to be at the top of the folders' tree) or disable unused tracks.
Disabling is better, Cubase doesn't have to reserve that big amounts of memory at once and the project loads much quicker.

Return to “Instruments”