Exponential Audio Verbs: PhoenixVerb, Nimbus, R4. Your Thoughts?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Calenberger wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:59 pm How can one qualify for such a top label?
And who chooses it?
Ben does. And you'll never be able to qualify. Being irritating and antagonizing certainly won't get you there - nice try though...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Oh, forgot to add: :hihi:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:31 pm
Calenberger wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:59 pm How can one qualify for such a top label?
And who chooses it?
Ben does. And you'll never be able to qualify. Being irritating and antagonizing certainly won't get you there - nice try though...
Ah, I see! That's the reason we both have the same label, isn't it? :lol:

And who chooses it?
are you sure about that? :oops:

Calenberger wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:38 pm
And who chooses it?
Ah, I see! That's the reason we both have the same label, isn't it? :lol:
Yes - actually I was thinking the same right after posting... :lol: :oops:

vurt wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:46 pm are you sure about that? :oops:
:lol:

Yeah, I am... :-D

jens wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:49 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:46 pm are you sure about that? :oops:
:lol:

Yeah, I am... :-D
:hihi:

hope alls well, as well as can be in these times anyway :hug:

Yes, all good over here (except that my mother in law decided to stay for another two weeks before returning to Spain :hihi: - I kid, I kid - I was given the chance to veto - it's actually not bad at all: she plays Lego, I play guitar...)

I certainly hope the same goes for you too! :hug:

Tronam wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:24 pm
Tendou wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:55 pm How does R4 compare to Lexicon PCM (curious bc its the same coder) and Seventh Heaven Pro?
Seventh Heaven is a hybrid IR recreation of the Bricasti M7, which I’d consider best suited for realistic spaces more along the lines of reverb systems like the TC 6000. I’m pretty sure the Lexicon PCM bundle is based on their late nineties PCM 90 hardware and maybe they’re by the same coder, but I don’t know how much crossover there is. In the PCM bundle it seems like the Random Hall algorithm is what people talk about most and I haven’t had much success programming the R2 to simulate that type of classic Lexicon sound, but maybe R4 can get closer. Valhalla’s VintageVerb is worthy of consideration too.
well I own the valhalla and im not satisfied (techno production) and I search for alternatives. Lexicon pcm got a good reputation for that genre. so maybe you could enlight me abit about the comparison in terms of sound quality! :) sadly im not experienced enough to hear all that just with a trying the demo

Lexicon PCM plugins aren’t updated anymore on any kind of ongoing basis. Don’t get those. Hardware would be another story. R4 or LX480 (or maybe IR images). The default preset for R4 is the “famous random hall”.

I like Valhalla Delay a lot more than their reverbs - it’s a “desert island” plugin for me.

I’d check out Sonsig as well, by relab. You don’t need realistic spaces. I find Liquidsonics to heavily color the sound - which is great if you want that.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:36 am

I like Valhalla Delay a lot more than their reverbs - it’s a “desert island” plugin for me.
I agree. It's funny, Valhalla is best known as a Reverb plugin developer, but I never really got those working for me the way I wanted (and, as you know, I use Exponential plugins instead) -- but I absolutely adore both UberMod and Valhalla Delay, and use them pretty much constantly.

A typical 'retro analog synth instrument' chain for me is: Repro-5 (or similar type plugin instrument) > UberMod (usually for chorus) > Valhalla Delay > R4. The results I get with this chain are absolutely stellar, and I can't imagine buying another chorus or delay effect, the two Valhallas cover those tasks so perfectly. And yet, for reverb? No thanks. I like VVV for some extreme-tail type effects, but that's about it, sadly.

Tendou wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:49 pm
Tendou wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:55 pm How does R4 compare to Lexicon PCM (curious bc its the same coder) and Seventh Heaven Pro?
Seventh Heaven is a hybrid IR recreation of the Bricasti M7, which I’d consider best suited for realistic spaces more along the lines of reverb systems like the TC 6000. I’m pretty sure the Lexicon PCM bundle is based on their late nineties PCM 90 hardware and maybe they’re by the same coder, but I don’t know how much crossover there is. In the PCM bundle it seems like the Random Hall algorithm is what people talk about most and I haven’t had much success programming the R2 to simulate that type of classic Lexicon sound, but maybe R4 can get closer. Valhalla’s VintageVerb is worthy of consideration too.
well I own the valhalla and im not satisfied (techno production) and I search for alternatives. Lexicon pcm got a good reputation for that genre. so maybe you could enlight me abit about the comparison in terms of sound quality! :) sadly im not experienced enough to hear all that just with a trying the demo
I think a lot of Techno producers use the D16's Toraverb, so maybe have a look at that one too:
https://d16.pl/toraverb2
proud to produce warezless!
my Trap beatz:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4J14A ... -FzS9TNa2w

i wanted R4 for so long, ended up with 2 free licenses of R2 and a cheap Nimbus.
Fighting the GAS on this plugin boutique sale, but will I regret it?
R2 --> R4... what are the advantages?

adl wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:39 am
Tendou wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:49 pm
I think a lot of Techno producers use the D16's Toraverb, so maybe have a look at that one too:
https://d16.pl/toraverb2
Had that and solt that. was just usefull for some reverb kicks and nothing more. I need my breas and butter reverb for m return channel on the templare and therefore I was thinking about lexicon, R4 or seventh heaven pro....

VitaminD wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:33 pm Well it is a Vintage 'Verb. But it is odd he pointed to one and not the others. I think he just wanted to stomp on one persons PoV to raise their own above it. There's really no discussion there. Especially when they wouldn't even explain how they came to their conclusions (what mode of VVV were they using).
Trust me, I tried the different modes... :lol: If Sean added a mode which works better for you, fair enough. I surely won't buy it again based on a single new algorithm. Been burned two times now, won't repeat another time. They're just not for me, and I own lots of other reverbs which do a better job for me.

Return to “Effects”