E-MU 1616m, 1212m, 1820m, 0404 Audio Interface - Complete Windows 10 (1903 & Above) Installation Guide

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sherwoodsound wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:14 am
If ASIO isn't working then click on Start and type regedit and click on Registry Editor. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, right-click AsioThk32Reg and choose Modify. Change CTASIO.DLL to CTASIO64.DLL.

I hope this guide helps everyone that wants to keep their 1212m/1616m running.

Martin
I though I'm lost about installing this great piece of hardware, but...because after updating W10 (1903), everything doesn't work ... no!
I uninstalled E-MU drivers and did everything ,step by step how you explained.

Thank you so much! I can confirm ,that I can use my E-MU 1616m PCI audio interface in Windows 10 Pro x64.(EDIT:tested with older motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P (rev. 1.0).
I can switch sample rate to 44.1 kHz for example and use native E-MU ASIO driver.I can use wave audio and ASIO audio at the same time.Wow!!! I have tested all sample rates to 192 kHz.
Thank you sooo much.I love you !!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by temporalsounds on Thu May 20, 2021 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Martin,

About 9 months ago my Creative E-MU 1616 PCi card stopped working. I struggled to get it reconfigured, rolling back Windows updates etc. Nothing worked.

I tried again yesterday after returning to Spain from 4 months enforced isolation in the UK. I found your KVRAudio interface guide and followed the instructions. Everything ran smoothly (I had to
answer Y(yes) to “set –executionpolicy …” rather than the default N. Then I had audio output from the E-MU.

So I’m writing to say thanks very much for writing the re-installation/update guide.
If you are ever in Axarquia, Southern Spain (East of Malaga) please let me know, I owe you a beer.

Many thanks Geoff Piper

My ASIO is working at 44.1k and 48k, but Reaper refuses to connect at anything above that such as 96k. I've tried the regedit change AsioThk32Reg from CTASIO.DLL to CTASIO64.DLL but exactly the same. PatchMix will switch to a 96k session but as soon as anything tries to access ASIO at 96k if tell me something is trying to change back to 48k and forces it down.

Not essential as I rarely use anything above 48k, but occasionally I might - if anyone has any ideas?

simonsifi wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:38 pm My ASIO is working at 44.1k and 48k, but Reaper refuses to connect at anything above that such as 96k. I've tried the regedit change AsioThk32Reg from CTASIO.DLL to CTASIO64.DLL but exactly the same. PatchMix will switch to a 96k session but as soon as anything tries to access ASIO at 96k if tell me something is trying to change back to 48k and forces it down.

Not essential as I rarely use anything above 48k, but occasionally I might - if anyone has any ideas?
I tried to download Reaper v.6.12c 64 ,but I tested in windows 7 64,because I have to reinstall W10 again from beginning in new workstation later.Waiting for the processor and all components for new PC build.Have you tried to change sample rate in preferences?I don't know how it works in W10 now. I formated disk drive today,where I installed W10.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

temporalsounds wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:37 pm
simonsifi wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:38 pm My ASIO is working at 44.1k and 48k, but Reaper refuses to connect at anything above that such as 96k. I've tried the regedit change AsioThk32Reg from CTASIO.DLL to CTASIO64.DLL but exactly the same. PatchMix will switch to a 96k session but as soon as anything tries to access ASIO at 96k if tell me something is trying to change back to 48k and forces it down.

I tried to download Reaper v.6.12c 64 ,but I tested in windows 7 64,because I have to reinstall W10 again from beginning in new workstation later.Waiting for the processor and all components for new PC build.Have you tried to change sample rate in preferences?I don't know how it works in W10 now. I formated disk drive today,where I installed W10.

Yeah thanks I have tried that already, just refuses to do anything other than 44.1k or 48k. I can get the hardware to switch using a PatchMix session, but nothing to work over ASIO at 96k.

I think it's the EMU ASIO drivers misbehaving as some of my Native Instruments apps, such as Maschine2 can select 96k sample rate fine and the EMU 1820 switches, whereas Kontakt does not work and nor does Reaper.

My guess is the EMU ASIO driver has some compatibility issues due to it's age now that I probably have to live with. At least I've got the hardware running again which is great!

I dont know if my answer is of help, but maybe quite interesting. Per coincidence i saw the autostart entry "Microsoft Registerserver" and i look for the path it is calling the command , look at the pic. Remember you are trying to do a regsvr change in the registry into ctasio64.dll and this autostart entry says regsvr ctasio.dll (without the 64) *could* overwrite your regedit changes everytime the computer is booting. Maybe this is the culprit of the weird asio messages?

Thanks for interesting answer and help auron !

Music1966 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:28 am Hey Guys,

I hope you're all keeping well and safe.

Wondering if anyone can help... I'm trying to install my 1820m with the BETA software that you provided on my Asus, Windows 10 Desktop. I removed any previous emu/creative drivers, to my knowledge and also removed the cards and restarted the computer. But when I go to do the first step and install the BETA file I get this message below:

"You have previously installed drivers without rebooting, please reboot".

Does anyone know how I can get past this so I can install the BETA? Would greatly appreciate it, its driving me mad and would love to get this box working!

Many Thanks,

Lin
GO to your "C" drive and to x386. find Creative Professional and delete the folder. Reboot and will work. Had to do that last night when playing with drivers, etc.

ANOTHER SUCCESS

I tried to stay in W10 v.1809 for as long as possible. But I was not able to postpone updates any longer. So I updated to 1903 and then 1909. After the process of course my old EMU1820 refused to work. I tried to update also to 2004 but for some reason I cannot. After 3 attempts I moved to solve the audio.

I uninstaled the old drivers, just in case I manually deleted all the many files still inside C:\Program Files (x86)\Creative Professional and I followed instructions carefully.

I got a couple of red lines before and after many yellow lines when I executed the script. I was afraid it would not work. However when I finished the process, my card is working as before. Well, just a bit better, in W10 1809 the system volume (clicking Windows small speaker icon) worked in a weird way. Now it works like it did in before in W7 (and also XP, long ago).

I did not need to do any registry edition to get the ASIO driver working and accessible from progams. I can use both ASIO and normal windows drivers, so I can use at the same time Reaper, Band in a Box (using windows driver, I do not care about latency in this situation) and normal windows sounds (youtube, etc).

I also restarted a couple of times and this did not break anything.

Thanks a lot to all people involved.

mocheez wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:31 pm PC newbie here… How do I "Remove all current E-MU Drivers and PatchMix software", please?
Control Panel. Uninstall programs. One at a time. Reboot. Uninstall next one. Reboot.

Still working.

But something happpened and I don't have a clue why. When I installed the EMU following instructions, the "system volume" (what I can control with th ekeyboard knob or the icon in the windows task bar) was controlling the EMU output. Or perhaps the volume of the input assigned to Windows (WAVE 1/2). But a week later, the "system volume" is controlling again the MONITOR output. What is a bit inconvenient when using headphones.

Before all this thread, when I was in W10 v. 1809 it was the same. I installed the EMU, it worked 100% and a few days later the volume control was directed to the monitor knob in the EMU panel. Good for speakers, bad for headphones. In W7 the system volume was working perfectly. There must be some place in Windows where I can change this behaviour, but I cannot figure out where. And I cannot imagine why the hell this works in a new W10 installation and then it goes wrong a few days later. Could any KVRian give me a hint with this?

Thanks!

Many many many thanks!

This solution did save my beloved 0404 PCI, it's more than 10 years old but perfect for what I need.

My E-MU 1820 has been rock-solid now for over a month now with daily use, really happy - thanks! The output level and clarity is far superior to my Behringer UMC404HD, the Behringer is okay for recording, the inputs are quite clean, but the headphone out distorts after about 2 o'clock position and both the headphones and main monitor out levels are very low.

The 1820 is so very loud and clear with no distortion! I've got quite clever with it and got different mixes going out from Reaper DAW using Sonarworks Reference to headphones and speakers without having to switch plugins for the EQ profiles, so I can seamlessly switch between monitors and my Beyerdynamics DT880 headphones to check different references. I would not be able to do that without the sheer number of outputs and custom routing using E-MU's PatchMix.

Absolutely brilliant.

I will be getting all my new computer parts by Monday. Will be an i710700 on a Gigabyte 490 D Vision board. Has thunderbolt. 32 gig RAmk, 2 NVME.2 drives. One for regular windows and the other for audio. Have a 2.5 inch drive I loaded Windows 2002 on, did the "fix" which went fine. No errors. Card is recognized (we will see when I use the PCIe to PCI adapter on the new build-- should though). Have sound. Same other issues, though. Can only record at 44.1. 48Kz doesn't give me the routings. SPDIF to ADAT only. 96k says "insufficient EMU hardware". I see others with that issue. Anybody know exactly what that means?

If I can get 48kz to work on the EMU 1820 m I will keep it. If not, I will get a Focusrite Clarett 4pre or 8 pre with thunderbolt used on Ebay. Possibly from Focusrite refurbished if they have any.

So...any suggestions?

"Windows 2002"?

This is a known issue. The E-MU cards don't work at anything higher than 44.1 kHz if you use the E-MU drivers. You'll have to go through this thread to find the final list of what you have to do to basically hack some Creative Labs drivers to get the E-MU card to work. My bet is that eventually Microsoft will make a change to Windows 10 that Creative Labs either won't keep up with or they'll have to change their drivers in such a way that the E-MU cards they're "supporting" no longer work. It's just a matter of time, unfortunately.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”