Exponential Audio Verbs: PhoenixVerb, Nimbus, R4. Your Thoughts?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

gondii wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:20 am Exponential Audio Stereo Reverb Upgrade from any EA Plugin for $69:
https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products/st ... tial-audio

incl. Nimbus, R4, PhoenixVerb and Excalibur
I tried to order, and hot the following message: "Exponential Audio Stereo Reverb Bundle Crossgrade from any Exponential Audio Product is not allowed for sale in the country selected. Please verify and correct the country or remove the product from your cart."

Tried again, changing country (including inserting USA) and always got this message. Anyone?
Fernando (FMR)

I got as far as the "Submit Order" button, where you select PayPal or whatever, no problem, I think it would go through as the next step would be signing into PayPal, but I already have multiple copies of all 4, so I'm backing out while there is still the opportunity.

I'm located in Australia
Say NO to CLAP!

jinotsuh wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:31 am I got as far as the "Submit Order" button, where you select PayPal or whatever, no problem, I think it would go through as the next step would be signing into PayPal, but I already have multiple copies of all 4, so I'm backing out while there is still the opportunity.

I'm located in Australia
Hmm... It displays that message after I select Paypal and click Next (or checkout, or whatever the buttons says). So, you probably didn't reach the problematic point. Thanks anyway :tu:
Fernando (FMR)

I'd just wait a little while and try again, the deal just started.

I saw the recent deal on AudioDeluxe and was curious about if buying the whole kit was worth it to get Nimbus since I already own Phoenixverb, R4, and Excalibur. Anyone prefer Nimbus over Phoenixverb? I know the feature set is expanded but I don't know how the deal is structured and if there's separate crossgrade keys I could sell off to get somewhat close to the crossgrade I missed on Nimbus.

fmr wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:20 am
gondii wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:20 am Exponential Audio Stereo Reverb Upgrade from any EA Plugin for $69:
https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products/st ... tial-audio

incl. Nimbus, R4, PhoenixVerb and Excalibur
I tried to order, and hot the following message: "Exponential Audio Stereo Reverb Bundle Crossgrade from any Exponential Audio Product is not allowed for sale in the country selected. Please verify and correct the country or remove the product from your cart."

Tried again, changing country (including inserting USA) and always got this message. Anyone?

You using a VPN? If yes, disable it. The IP address you're being routed through could be flagged for fraud associations. We do this at my job and run into this with legit customers using VPNs. Otherwise, different browser maybe?

I had tested some of the reverbs and finally didn't buy any ;) I did not like Phoenix at all, R2/R4 was better. I don't know... the quality of the reverbs is excellent but maybe this perfection is something I don't like that much?
I would always prefer Relab or even the old Lexicon PCM. Even the Valhalla Reverbs I like more.
So my thoughts about the EA Reverbs are rather mixed. I think the quality is great and they are very transparent but somehow I don't like them.

4damind wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:28 pm I had tested some of the reverbs and finally didn't buy any ;) I did not like Phoenix at all, R2/R4 was better. I don't know... the quality of the reverbs is excellent but maybe this perfection is something I don't like that much?
I would always prefer Relab or even the old Lexicon PCM. Even the Valhalla Reverbs I like more.
So my thoughts about the EA Reverbs are rather mixed. I think the quality is great and they are very transparent but somehow I don't like them.
Same.

I really wanted to like R4 but I much preferred the sound of Lexicon PCM or Valhalla Vintage Verb.

I really wanted to like Valhalla Vintage Verb but I much preferred the sound of Exponential Audio R4.

RobGee wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:10 pm I really wanted to like R4 but I much preferred the sound of Lexicon PCM or Valhalla Vintage Verb.
there cant be THAT much difference between PCM and R4....

Discussing reverbs without context is a bit harder for me to follow. Where I specifically like a clean reverb such as PhoenixVerb or Nimbus is on dry acoustic instrument samples to give them some realistic space, especially the small and medium chambers. If I worked with vocals, my opinion might change, but I’m happy with how they sound on instruments. Where I prefer the fuzzier, more chorusey Lexicon style effect is on electronic sounds or as a final reverb to help blend many disparate tracks together; It kind of helps comb over the rough edges a little. For percussion I’ve often preferred the sound of plate reverbs, although recently I’ve grown quite fond of LiquidSonics 7th Heaven and Eventide SP2016 for pleasing room sounds. VVV is a mixed bag for me since I’ve never really liked the way it treats the lower mids which usually sound overly dense and muddy to me. Even so, on many types of synth sounds, particularly clinical ones, I think it can add a lot of nice organic texture mojo.

I really like Nimbus on acoustic 6-string guitar.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirty clean whatever the real deal is it modulated. Echoes have direct result into dirty. Stop the Modulation if want cleaner.

Tendou wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:41 pm
RobGee wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:10 pm I really wanted to like R4 but I much preferred the sound of Lexicon PCM or Valhalla Vintage Verb.
there cant be THAT much difference between PCM and R4....
And why not?

Just because the algorithms have been developed by the same person?

For starters, a hardware reverb is potentially a lot more than a bunch of algorithms, even if it is a digital one. I never tried R4, but the critical comments here remind mw of my own opinion regarding Excalibur: too clean, too bland, too digital, too cold and boring. I quite like Phoenix, because for what it aims to be, that is not a hindrance, rather the opposite. But for a reverb that aims at classic/vintage digital, it most likely will be. And just because you are good at developing reverb algorithms it does not mean you understand - or even just care about - the concearns of people who love/seek/"need" the kind of artifacts (be they digital or analog) that help to create what they call "warmth" or "mojo" or whatever.
Have a look/listen to what Tony Agnello and the coder (what's this genius' name again?) explain in the promo video for Instant Phaser. ("Emulating the imprecise and unique analog beauty of..").
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Return to “Effects”