Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

You can use mousewheel (in SST fork at least).

You can in renoise with vst2 as well (vst3 don't work in there) but i need to stay away from such tasks especially.
Anyway, I've found a way to browse the presets inside the loaded bank with a key binding. Loading banks is still mouse oriented though, but i can live with that.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:17 am Sure , phase modulatin is phase modulation
Why would the math in dexed be any different then the modx ?
The ony difference would be the resolution of the sinewaves
Now set dexed to oldskool mode and hear the crunchiness :tu:
Well...there is the amplitude and frequency modulation. Stuff like envelope/scaling shapes/curves, timings and amounts. I can imagine that these details can be challenging.

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:23 pm The surge fork is MPEified. Did that change get into the main branch already?
No. The Surge fork is just that so far: a fork. It has some nice improvements and fixes, and from what some people who worked on it mentioned here a couple of weeks ago, their work might/should be folded back into what the original developer is doing with the next "official" version. But it's been more than two and a half years since the original dev updated Dexed, and there's no telling if or when he'll incorporate the "Surge fork's" changes into whatever he's working on with it...if he's even still working on it.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. Then the surge fork is my main version...
Like I moved from Open Office to Libre Office...

Now that the ability to load microtonal scales has been added, are there any features that are still missing? I guess I would like to control the number of voices available at the given moment so that I can get the analog-style voice stealing whenever I want to, but it's not such a big deal and I realize Dexed is also a DX7 librarian, which may or may not make this feature unfeasible anyway. Maybe a couple of GUI improvements wouldn't hurt.

Anyway, thank you for the addition of the microtonal stuff, now Dexed feels complete. It's awesome we can get vintage DX7 sounds for nothing, we are so goddamn spoiled these days.

Yeah sure - there's no portamento/glissando like on DX7, it would also be nice to support TX set of operator waveforms (and TX sysex too), plus the monophonic mode needs last note priority. Also MPE could be implemented more thoroughly rather than just pitch...

Yeah, I completely forgot about portamento, so that's one major feature that's missing. Including TX's waveforms and sysex would be swell and would seriously expand Dexed's sound palette and functionality.

The "TX waveforms" being spoken of here were only available, as far as the DX/TX range were concerned, in the TX81Z/DX11/V2 and the V50 which were all 4-Op synths. None of the original DX/TX 6-Op synths had this. The later SY77/SY99/TG77 used AFM which had 45 algorithms and 16 waveform options, so IMHO, that sort of makes it beyond the remit of DEXED. And I guess an SY77/99 clone would need to contain the sampled waveforms of AWM which then starts down a treacherous road of copyright, etc.

I would love to see a 4-Op DX plugin that mimicked the TX81Z/DX11/V50 implementation because those synths were capable of some great sounds. The V50 implementation would be the best as it had double the polyphony of its forebears, and more besides.

And yes, the polyphonic portamento and LNP would be nice for accuracy's sake.

Just because 6-op DX/TX didn't have those extra waves doesn't mean Dexed couldn't :)

LNP?

Of course, but how about they get the basic DX7 right first...

LNP = Last Note Priority

Ah yes... last note priority is a huge one for me indeed!

This depends on what you want Dexed to be. My understanding is that the original developer wanted, specifically, an editor for DX7. That is can act as a plugin synth is a side-benefit; I believe I recall the developer being pretty insistent that the most-requested features will not be implemented as the original DX7 did not have them.

I'm talking specifically about 4-operator sounds more than portamento, of course, since the DX7 did support that.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Failed Muso wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:35 pm I would love to see a 4-Op DX plugin that mimicked the TX81Z/DX11/V50 implementation because those synths were capable of some great sounds. The V50 implementation would be the best as it had double the polyphony of its forebears, and more besides.
You may want to check out Exakt Lite by Sonicbits, it's a free 4 operator FM synth with TX waveforms. I'm not sure if it is a direct emulation of any of the aforementioned synths, but you may want to check that one out, sounds pretty nice.

Watchful wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:02 pm I'm talking specifically about 4-operator sounds more than portamento, of course, since the DX7 did support that.
Can't you get 4-op sounds from Dexed by simply disabling two operators then using the remaining four? Or am I missing something?

Return to “Instruments”