TB-303 Emulators

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:55 pm. You can hear some cool manipulation of these extra parameters in some of the recent plastikman albums, where he's clearly using phoscyon.
is he? couldn't find that info anywhere (tho I'm sure I saw him just using laptops at last live performance..?)

AnX wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:17 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:55 pm. You can hear some cool manipulation of these extra parameters in some of the recent plastikman albums, where he's clearly using phoscyon.
is he? couldn't find that info anywhere (tho I'm sure I saw him just using laptops at last live performance..?)
Yeah I've read that he has used phoscyon. And I've heard at least one track of his where the attack parameter changes (can't remember the one right now), which the real 303 (or other emulations) can't do. Although of course it's possible he was using a different synth altogether.
He talks about using both ABL and phoscyon here:
https://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/ri ... box-612342

AnX wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:17 pm
He used audiorealism and phoscyon , plenty of info available
https://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/ri ... box-612342

I was using the AudioRealism Bass Line, but on the last album, I went back to the D16 Phoscyon. Depending on the sound I'm after, I'll use one or the other, or even both layered up together.

unquote

Don't forget that the interview was from 2014 , the latest update to audiorealism makes it even better
To me there is no comparison to phoscyon ,, abl3 just sounds as close as it gets with no additional pooha .
Abl all the way :tu:
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

acid alex wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:45 am
gentleclockdivider wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:23 pm
acid alex wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:00 pm
antto wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:24 pm
ENV1 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:02 pm Really didnt have to do that, but his philosophy was (is) that when you use a 303 you should strictly use the internal sequencer, and this passwordy-naggery was sorta meant to turn people off of using pianoroll MIDI, which he somehow considered 'wrong'. Question is only why he added the option at all then, but i guess we will never know.
here's why it has midiplay mode: viewtopic.php?p=5746081#p5746081

now, 2019, when 303 clones are discussed and talked about, i see more and more people appreciating the sequencer as one of the key components of the 303 "experience", the situation was not so back in 2013-ish, where i had to constantly explain and argue that the sequencer is very important
so, maybe i helped spread this word a bit (i hope so), i feel good about the current situation in any case
If I am using ABL3, will I get different results from using the built-in sequencer than sending notes over MIDI? It sounds the same to me either way.
Yes ,under certain conditions it will sound differnet , when two notes of the same pitch+slide and the last one is accented (or was it the firrst one, this will sound different when sequenced from the daw
I will test a sequence as you describe. Thanks
You can not replicate this sequence in a regular daw with just the piano roll , just try it ( don't forget to turn up accent )
Eyeball exchanging

I've been testing ABL yesterday a bit, and also compared it to Phoscyon. While it's definitely true that ABL is better than Phoscyon (better bottom end, the filter "grabs" better, if you get what I mean, and the resonant behavior is also closer to the real thing), I still think that the resonance lacks a bit compared to the original.

Just listen to this demo, from 4:24, to hear it in isolation:

https://youtu.be/kFpqaX9GXTI

When he fully opens the filter, I don't hear the same kind of squelchy whistling in ABL. It's surely not alone with that, of course, for example, in Phoscyon, the resonance is far off from that, and also loads of other analog emulations simply fail with that task. Just saying that, while ABL is surely close, for me, it's not fully cigar yet. As I said though, it's miles better than Phoscyon, which I always thought was kind of lame with more resonance. Again, though, Phoscyon is far better than Rebirth RB-338, so... :)

BTW, how do you emulate that typical "quack" sound on the filter attack in ABL? It's easy to do in Phoscyon (there is a filter attack parameter), but I don't find anything similar in ABL. I hear that a lot on 303 sounds. It might be a mod, as there's no control on the original 303 for that either.

Do you have the latest version of abl3.2.2 ( improved emulation ) ?
You can increase resonance ,and overall filter behaviour with reso trim , vcf trim
The typical quack is :lol: is filter closed , resonance up and accented notes with almost no env.mod ( not sure if I understood you correctly )
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging

Yep, I have that one. Demo version, of course.

I think the best one is the Roland Cloud one unfortunately. Stupid cloud.

"Stupid cloud" - yep... :)

I like what V-Station and Sylenth1 can do when trying to create 303 like sound,not the same,better or worse,just with their own charming character in da mix :)Cheers :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzYa-Gi ... e=youtu.be

chk071 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:01 am Just listen to this demo, from 4:24, to hear it in isolation:

https://youtu.be/kFpqaX9GXTI
the audio in there is not clean, there's at least an EQ (or some 2nd-order filter with resonance tuned at around 70Hz

https://soundcloud.com/antto/z-roxxx303 ... Td1wMLNbJO
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

Nice. :) The square sounds a bit different, as does the resonance, and the filter frequency seems to be a bit different as well (sounds more closed in the 2nd part of your example).

Is that Venom VB-303?

the first half is a cut section from the youtube video, the second half is my quick approximation
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

Have there been any new developments in this arena?

SiliconDeath wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:10 am Have there been any new developments in this arena?
Yeah Behringer made a real one for under $150 2 years ago, just go get a TD-3 and be done with it. ;)

Return to “Instruments”