I wish developers would stop adding reverb on presets ;)

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Driven to chime in here... long time pet peeve. I despise the reverb on presets thing. Without a global 'off', I have no desire to turn off the reverb a thousand times as I work through the presets. I need to hear what I'm actually listening to.

Yes, I use and tweak presets. I often find sound design tedious, I'm trying to write a tune. There are a million sound design experts out there much better at that than me, and often something I would not have designed at all brings a happy accident. But I find that thick glaze of reverb porridge to be restrictive.

Rant terminated. Proceed at will :).

GMusic wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:47 pm To suggest people find something else to do just because they want something more efficient and more readily useful is silly.

Complaining about a few mouse clicks is silly.
GMusic wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:47 pmPeople might as well just not use presets at all. Or yet, why even upgrade to the latest anything that makes things easier? It just shows people are lazy, right? :roll:
Complaining about a few mouse clicks just makes you seem lazy.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Protocol_b wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:19 pm I despise the reverb on presets thing.
And I like reverb on patches. It's there for a reason.

That's the problem. No preset is ever going to please everybody. If you're going to use presets and not make your own then you have to be prepared to do a few mouse clicks whether it's to turn off the reverb or adjust the filter cutoff to your personal taste. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

GMusic wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:03 am Not all synths allow you to easily disable effects (particularly reverb) very easily. It seems pretty much every developer on almost every preset uses reverb. Sure, it gives you the "wow this sounds big" feeling of instant satisfaction.

When you're actually making music, and not just listening to a promotional walkthrough video for a library, it makes sense to match reverbs across many instruments in a track. To have 10 instruments all with different reverb units and settings just sounds like a hot mess. If I'm not mistaken, many musicians like to use a reverb bus. So having a reverb on each instrument is overkill and messy.

It would be great if developers provide a "dry" library along with their releases that has no reverb effect added. Otherwise I find myself just disabling the reverb and resaving the patch each time I load a new one up. Very tedious. :help:
What synth are you using that it is so difficult to turn off the reverb?
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Teksonik wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:52 pm
GMusic wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:47 pm To suggest people find something else to do just because they want something more efficient and more readily useful is silly.

GMusic wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:47 pmPeople might as well just not use presets at all. Or yet, why even upgrade to the latest anything that makes things easier? It just shows people are lazy, right? :roll:
It's not really complaining, but just an idea to make things more efficient for people who pay for presets. Anyway, you think I seem lazy, which is quite rude. I think you seem high on a horse. So, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree and end my discussion with you on this matter.

ATS wrote:
What synth are you using that it is so difficult to turn off the reverb?
It's moreso tedious than difficult.

I mentioned Avenger as an example, compared to Spire. Avenger has multiple pages of effects where a reverb could be applied. So if there's a reverb in a preset (which there almost always is), I have to search through the effects pages to find it. Whereas Spire has a simple enable/disable button on the front page under Reverb.

I don't really have a problem disabling reverb and whatnot in Spire. It's the synths with several menus to sift through where the rote clicking becomes old. I just end up resaving the preset as "dry"

GMusic wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:03 am Anyway, you think I seem lazy, which is quite rude. I think you seem high on a horse.
But but you think I'm on a high horse.

Mommy he's being quite rude......... :x

Ok make all preset designers create dry presets just for you.

Or you could simply learn how to program your own patches then you wouldn't have to complain about the horribly difficult task of making a few mouse clicks to turn off the reverb in someone else's patch. :tu:

Teksonik wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:52 pm

Ridiculous statement. I just load up 25 synths and start swapping presets until I like what I hear. Most people are probably not that crazy, but to say that I am lazy.. :D

Teksonik wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:04 am
GMusic wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:03 am Anyway, you think I seem lazy, which is quite rude. I think you seem high on a horse.
But but you think I'm on a high horse.

Mommy he's being quite rude......... :x

Ok make all preset designers create dry presets just for you.

Or you could simply learn how to program your own patches then you wouldn't have to complain about the horribly difficult task of making a few mouse clicks to turn off the reverb in someone else's patch. :tu:
Based on your established time on KVR, you've got to be old enough to not be so immature. In all my years here I haven't dealt with such a ridiculous attitude.

Anyway, move along.

Reverb is like MSG.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

In most cases reverb is an essential part of the sounddesign itself.
But most of the new synths (software) have macros, so most good developers will apply a macro to reverb/reverb+delay so it`s easy for the user to adjust the reverb amount :wink:

I see the OP's point but there is also the other angle where people want ready to go sounds which don't need further processing - you want to be able to write fast without going through the extra steps of routing sends and choosing reverbs etc. You can do all that once you've got your part down.

GMusic wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:03 am Not all synths allow you to easily disable effects (particularly reverb) very easily. It seems pretty much every developer on almost every preset uses reverb. Sure, it gives you the "wow this sounds big" feeling of instant satisfaction.

When you're actually making music, and not just listening to a promotional walkthrough video for a library, it makes sense to match reverbs across many instruments in a track. To have 10 instruments all with different reverb units and settings just sounds like a hot mess. If I'm not mistaken, many musicians like to use a reverb bus. So having a reverb on each instrument is overkill and messy.

It would be great if developers provide a "dry" library along with their releases that has no reverb effect added. Otherwise I find myself just disabling the reverb and resaving the patch each time I load a new one up. Very tedious. :help:
I can agree if the instrument havnt effect section but if it's have it - why not? Because it's like a one organizm, one sound can live without effects, another live only with it. :wink:
VST & Hardware presets, FL Studio templates, samples and MIDI from NatLife & friends -www.natlifesounds.com

I pretty much agree with the OP. I play the flute, but I've never played in a parking garage, cave, or giant water tank. Listening to a lot of flute patches, though, you might think those are the normal environments.

Couldn't one quick solution be to map the reverb on/off to a hardware trigger button, or to to a knob.
One hand to browse the presets, the other hand to cut the reverb ; quick action, nearly no time cost.
I mean, setting up this is valuable is you have to browse a lot of presets. Plus it gives the habit of setting up hardware shortcuts for the hardware you have :)

Return to “Soundware”