Allomerus - Hydraulic Power Department

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Everyone,

For this track I used my new SY1000 guitar synth which does synth sounds and guitar modelling. The synth sounds you can hear while the guitar is playing are generated from the guitar through a GR3 pickup and either synths from the SY1000 or through midi injected into Logic. That means this track could be played by a 3 piece. :)

John Wegner - Guitar, Guitar Synth, Bass, Drum Programming.

Second Version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL8jxJVOOHg

First Version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVvKUgG2zEY
Last edited by Allomerus on Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Hmmmm. I like most of it... some bits not so much. The clean chords at 0:46 are a bit hard to take. To put it bluntly, that section just sounds like someone who can't play guitar putting their fingers wherever... You obviously can play though, so I guess you were deliberately going for something tense and discordant.
What do you use for our drums? I'm not really liking them, they're too stiff and programmed. I think you either need to go with more synthetic sounding with the samples, or put more time into playing with the velocities and getting a bit more "feel" in there.

Sorry, the feedback was all quite negative... but overall the song was pretty good. :hihi:
Last edited by an-electric-heart on Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Having to concur with An-Electric-Heart on the drums. They do sound very drum-machine like. Maybe it would be worth finding a drummer you could collaborate with? There are even those advertising on Fiverr and similar sites (caveat emptor). It depends how far you want to take it.

Also where is the bass? I'm on good headphones and it just blurs in at best and appear during the middle section. This has a LOT of potential. I loved the pitchshifted texture on the guitar. The clean chords sound lush like some Dead Kennedys chime in places. The synthy sounds are cool. This would also be cool with some female vocals wailing over it in places (think Pink Floyd)
Find me on iTunes, Spotify, Bandcamp etc.

Allomerus,
Thank you for the reviews! Now your song & video: since the song is a bit on the long side, I'm really glad you included the video! I am a mechanical engineer & I have been involved in design work for many of the things that are similar to what is shown in the video: ship loaders (using conveyors & a crane), drill rigs (crane, crawler, & truck-mounted), gear design, selection of motor drive components (bearings, couplings, electric motors),various hydraulic components (cylinders, pumps, motors), scrap yard stuff, platforms, piping, silos, duct-work, v-belt drives, hoppers, towers, walkways, stairs, hand railing, etc. I liked your song, it got my head moving! At times, the guitar riffs & tone reminded me of Black Sabbath. And then I liked the synth sounds too. I think this is one of your better songs overall. Nice job! :)
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

an-electric-heart wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:32 am Hmmmm. I like most of it... some bits not so much. The clean chords at 0:46 are a bit hard to take. To put it bluntly, that section just sounds like someone who can't play guitar putting their fingers wherever... You obviously can play though, so I guess you were deliberately going for something tense and discordant.
What do you use for our drums? I'm not really liking them, they're too stiff and programmed. I think you either need to go with more synthetic sounding with the samples, or put more time into playing with the velocities and getting a bit more "feel" in there.

Sorry, the feedback was all quite negative... but overall the song was pretty good. :hihi:
Thanks for listening and for your feedback. The clean chords are all suspended 4ths, so sound unresolved. Also, the chords follow the main motif but do not have a 'key' because they are not changing from minor to major etc. but staying as sus4. Hence the unease you are probably feeling. I am going for that, so they will stay as is.

With the drums I am using Logic Pro Drummers. They come with a feel built into each 'drummer'. On the track you listened to I used 'Logan' which has a very straight feel. I have to admit I haven't used 'Logan' before because I felt this 'drummer' was very straight and too simple but I had convinced myself he sounded like John Bonham. :? After listening again, you are right, he plods. So I have changed back to my favourite 'drummer' 'Jesse' for version 2. Although I choose a drummer, I do have to make many adjustments to get the sound/feel I want. It's more of a top down approach.

Version 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL8jxJVOOHg
Bandcamp

The_Tired_Horizon wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:47 pm Having to concur with An-Electric-Heart on the drums. They do sound very drum-machine like. Maybe it would be worth finding a drummer you could collaborate with? There are even those advertising on Fiverr and similar sites (caveat emptor). It depends how far you want to take it.

Also where is the bass? I'm on good headphones and it just blurs in at best and appear during the middle section. This has a LOT of potential. I loved the pitchshifted texture on the guitar. The clean chords sound lush like some Dead Kennedys chime in places. The synthy sounds are cool. This would also be cool with some female vocals wailing over it in places (think Pink Floyd)
Thanks for listening and your comments. Please see my reply to an-electric-heart about the drums. I listened to the bass again and made some adjustments to the bass so it is easier to hear. With the synths swirling around and filling the mix the bass doesn't have much space to move in but it is now more prominent. :)
Bandcamp

Allomerus wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:05 am
The_Tired_Horizon wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:47 pm Having to concur with An-Electric-Heart on the drums. They do sound very drum-machine like. Maybe it would be worth finding a drummer you could collaborate with? There are even those advertising on Fiverr and similar sites (caveat emptor). It depends how far you want to take it.

Thanks for listening and your comments. Please see my reply to an-electric-heart about the drums. I listened to the bass again and made some adjustments to the bass so it is easier to hear. With the synths swirling around and filling the mix the bass doesn't have much space to move in but it is now more prominent. :)
Cool, I'll try and give that a listen if I get time after my shift. :)
Find me on iTunes, Spotify, Bandcamp etc.

I've listened to both of these and the drums are better on the new update. They propel the track along in a more satisfying and energetic manner. This track sounds a little like some of the instrumentals that Rush were playing in the '90s. I'm not sure whether the reference to a 3-piece was related, or whether you had bought a new suit.

Good work :)

I've listened to the 2nd version only. It's got some sweet spots, but the quality of engagement varies quite a bit, i.e. the guitar parts are nicely conceived and performed but the bass sounds like it's noodling during its breaks. I really like the drums, their sound and parts, nicely conceived and recorded. The mix could promote them some more too. The synths are great, I like 'em a lot, but again I'd try to bring them forward in the mix more often. All in all, it does sound like you're trying out some new things. Keep 'em coming ! :)

Best regards,

dp

seismic1 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:46 pm I've listened to both of these and the drums are better on the new update. They propel the track along in a more satisfying and energetic manner. This track sounds a little like some of the instrumentals that Rush were playing in the '90s. I'm not sure whether the reference to a 3-piece was related, or whether you had bought a new suit.

Thanks Tim. Much as I like Rush this was not my intention with this track. It was more along the lines of a 3 piece could play this as the synths are 'following' the guitar by using the midi generated by SY1000 guitar synth. Maybe I should wear a suit next time...
Bandcamp

StudioDave wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:47 pm I've listened to the 2nd version only. It's got some sweet spots, but the quality of engagement varies quite a bit, i.e. the guitar parts are nicely conceived and performed but the bass sounds like it's noodling during its breaks. I really like the drums, their sound and parts, nicely conceived and recorded. The mix could promote them some more too. The synths are great, I like 'em a lot, but again I'd try to bring them forward in the mix more often. All in all, it does sound like you're trying out some new things. Keep 'em coming ! :)

Best regards,

dp
Thanks Dave. The reason the bass sounds like it's noodling is because it is. ;) Appreciate your thoughts but I don't any to make the synths any louder. On my speakers they take up too much spectrum and if louder they will muddy the percussive elements of the track. All the best!
John
Bandcamp

New Version!
After all the help from everyone I have reduced the track to its essence. ;)

https://youtu.be/EF0X4hTuBSg
Bandcamp

Trap drums on an Allomerus track? 2020 is full of surprises. They work very well. This is a very concise summary of the earlier version. It's also well known that those cows detest a vacuum.

Can't really comment, except to say I quite like this... mostly :)
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

seismic1 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:04 am Trap drums on an Allomerus track? 2020 is full of surprises. They work very well. This is a very concise summary of the earlier version. It's also well known that those cows detest a vacuum.

Thanks Tim. I have used Trap drums before on an Allomerus track... but I can understand your surprise! You source a good point about cows... (Sorry). :o
Bandcamp

Return to “Music Cafe”