DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

hey i've been getting this bug with the launch pad x and your script for some time now and i keep hoping each update will fix it but it hasn't so just dropping a message. i don't know whats causing it. i can't figure out what makes it do it or what makes it fix its self. ok so heres what happens. i'll just be using the controller, mainly drum rack, piano roll etc is what i use it for and then suddenly it becomes unresponsive and doesn't display the led lights for drum rack, piano roll or session mode or what ever, it lets me hit the buttons at the top for session, note etc and something changes, but all the lights beneath the top buttons remain grey. so i will try clicking on and off a channel in bitwig, repeatedly hitting note, session mode, try to get it to start working again, then eventually like as if there has been this huge lag, it will flick between note and session mode like 20 times in a second or something, obviously however many times i've hit them and then it will finally go back to displaying what it should do with the brightly lit drum pads or session mode etc. i've no idea what triggers this bug or what fixes it. every time it happens i scrutinise what i was doing but i just don't know what causes it. i just updated i'm on the latest version of your bitwig extension and latest bitwig and i'm on mojave 10.14.6. thanks

richielg wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:15 pm hey i've been getting this bug with the launch pad x and your script for some time now and i keep hoping each update will fix it but it hasn't so just dropping a message. i don't know whats causing it. i can't figure out what makes it do it or what makes it fix its self. ok so heres what happens. i'll just be using the controller, mainly drum rack, piano roll etc is what i use it for and then suddenly it becomes unresponsive and doesn't display the led lights for drum rack, piano roll or session mode or what ever, it lets me hit the buttons at the top for session, note etc and something changes, but all the lights beneath the top buttons remain grey. so i will try clicking on and off a channel in bitwig, repeatedly hitting note, session mode, try to get it to start working again, then eventually like as if there has been this huge lag, it will flick between note and session mode like 20 times in a second or something, obviously however many times i've hit them and then it will finally go back to displaying what it should do with the brightly lit drum pads or session mode etc. i've no idea what triggers this bug or what fixes it. every time it happens i scrutinise what i was doing but i just don't know what causes it. i just updated i'm on the latest version of your bitwig extension and latest bitwig and i'm on mojave 10.14.6. thanks
Hmm, that sounds bad. Seems like something is preventing Bitwig to update the controller.
When this happens the next time could you simply wait to see if it recovers and meanwhile check the Bitwig processes if one of them maxes out the CPU (if yes, which one?) or if some other process / driver of you Mac has some high activity?

i don't think its maxing out the cpu, i would notice the fan kicking in right? i don't think its a cpu thing i think its a lag with updating the led's. yes i think it did resolve once on its own, i just left and a short while later it sorted its self out. i made a short video, you can see that the controller is switching to note select mode and drum machine mode, because bitwig says this, but the leds don't update. ANd also i was testing it a short while ago and you can still hit the pads and it will still play a drum machine cell for example, so perhaps this is a clue. its a lag or bug somewhere between the controller, the script and bitwig and going back to the controller to tell it which led colours should display depending on the buttons which where pressed. I made a vid just now because it did it again so you can see.

https://youtu.be/MIr1ExfAV9s

one thing that occasionally happens with bitwig is i get GUI freezes, I have to navigate away from the app and click on it again and then it un freezes. but this happens far less frequently than the led update freeze with the controller. i wonder though if it could be related.

it did it again. no increased use in cpu. i checked this activity monitor when it was happening. screen shots attached
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

richielg wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:06 pm it did it again. no increased use in cpu. i checked this activity monitor when it was happening. screen shots attached
I can only suggest to:
- ask Bitwig support if they have heard about such an issue
- rule out hardware issues: replace USB cable, directly connect the Launchpad to the computer (without the hub), turn off wifi/bluetooth

ok will do. drum 4 and drum 8 seem to be greyed out and nothing is there too. so not sure if i'm not accessing this right, or whether its something related or unrelated. thanks

Nevermind - user error :oops:

on the launch pad x capture midi is the shift button right? The manual says in session mode, hold shift and use the arrow keys to bank across 8 slots at a time. When I hold shift and use the arrow keys it actually changes the tempo. Have I misunderstood something here?

ok drum 4 and 8 isn't working on my set up. but this isn't what i wanted anyway. i was hoping for something like this where i can play 4 drum racks simultaneiously and have them divided by colour would be quite nice as a visual cue. like this pic attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

richielg wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:30 pm on the launch pad x capture midi is the shift button right?
Yes.
richielg wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:30 pm The manual says in session mode, hold shift and use the arrow keys to bank across 8 slots at a time. When I hold shift and use the arrow keys it actually changes the tempo. Have I misunderstood something here?
That's an error in the documentation. If you want to navigate fast you can use the "birds eye" view by long pressing the Session button.

richielg wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:26 pm ok drum 4 and 8 isn't working on my set up.
Make sure you have created a clip and selected it. Otherwise you will only see blank pads.
richielg wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:26 pm but this isn't what i wanted anyway. i was hoping for something like this where i can play 4 drum racks simultaneiously and have them divided by colour would be quite nice as a visual cue. like this pic attached.
The "Drum 64" mode should do that trick for you. Simply use a Bitwig drum device and color the drum cells in the colors you like.

Hi,
first of all, of course thank you for your incredible Work. Your Script made me choose Bitwig.
I am currently modding your Script and thus see with my own Eyes how freaking huge and impressive that thing you build is!

I found a Bug on the User Mode of the APC 40 mk II though:
Thanks to your last Update the Mapping works when in User mode. But once you map a parameter and switch back to Pan or Send, the mapping persists.
Pan and Send will work as expected, but additionally the mapped Function is called every time.

I tested this with the newest Version (10.0.7 I think).

HI there

Do you think its possible to create a script for handling the audio interface setting in Bitwig? It that something that extensions can manage as well or is it only for controllers?

melodyz wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:01 pm HI there

Do you think its possible to create a script for handling the audio interface setting in Bitwig? It that something that extensions can manage as well or is it only for controllers?
There is no access in the API to the audio settings currently. Send your wish to Bitwig.

Return to “Controller Scripting”