The next Live update?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

resistent wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:37 pm
pdxindy wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:25 pm [...]
We were asking for an LFO since well over a decade... once M4L came along, I figured it would never happen in the core app. [...]
Robert Henke stated years ago that it's not possible to include a native LFO in Live because it would need to touch the very core of Live. Although I do rather experimental music and ambient stuff my need of modulators is not that big and I'm happy with the one which are existing. And on my side whether the cpu impact is super high nor Live becomes unstable of a Max4Live device at least since v10. In the end the positive aspects outweighs the negative ones.

I wonder why people do not get a Modular synth when they are in desperate need for crazy modulation mayhem or simply switching to BWS and stop complaining? Honest question btw.
The fact that Ableton doesn’t want to update the core of the app makes it much more likely that I’ll never upgrade beyond 9. Frankly, they would need to in order for me to consider moving back from Bitwig.

anttimaatteri wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:21 pm i swear by the holy mammouth, that live 11 will FULLY include live 10! rumours say so.
No. My anonymus sources are telling me that it will be L4M.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

they have a sale going right now, could that mean a update is gonna be announced soon? so people who recently have bought it won't be pissed if there will be a release sale.

it would be very wierd if there was no live update this holiday season. people will be staying at home and will want to make lots of muzak

I have a feeling that the long holdup is caused by Push 3 which will likely be a standalone unit as well.

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

resistent wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:37 pm Although I do rather experimental music and ambient stuff my need of modulators is not that big and I'm happy with the one which are existing.
I own the $1 Modulation recorder for M4L and it saves me CPU from the Live's LFO since, when I'm satisfied with the modulation, I then record the Modulation Automation to track and delete the LFO.

And on top of that I can also fine tune to taste the automation curve as I like.

Really easy to use. I don't know of any DAW capable of doing this.

Just buy new computer and use m4l. Problem solved?

tooneba wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:42 pm Just buy new computer and use m4l. Problem solved?
So you like the easy way out :D

perpetual3 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:26 pm
We were asking for an LFO since well over a decade... once M4L came along, I figured it would never happen in the core app. [...]
Robert Henke stated years ago that it's not possible to include a native LFO in Live because it would need to touch the very core of Live. Although I do rather experimental music and ambient stuff my need of modulators is not that big and I'm happy with the one which are existing. And on my side whether the cpu impact is super high nor Live becomes unstable of a Max4Live device at least since v10. In the end the positive aspects outweighs the negative ones.

I wonder why people do not get a Modular synth when they are in desperate need for crazy modulation mayhem or simply switching to BWS and stop complaining? Honest question btw.
The fact that Ableton doesn’t want to update the core of the app makes it much more likely that I’ll never upgrade beyond 9. Frankly, they would need to in order for me to consider moving back from Bitwig.
Ableton not wanting to update the core app played a big part in me switching away from Live. It made me think MPE was not gonna happen anytime soon and nothing has happened on that front in the ensuing years. Turned out to be the right choice for me. So I appreciated Ableton stating that clearly.

liquidsound wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:34 pmI own the $1 Modulation recorder for M4L and it saves me CPU from the Live's LFO since, when I'm satisfied with the modulation, I then record the Modulation Automation to track and delete the LFO.

And on top of that I can also fine tune to taste the automation curve as I like.

That's cool. Honestly I never really got the LFO thing? Track automation in nearly any DAW is copy paste-able. In certain DAWs like DP there's even typical LFO shapes that can be painted in. Any DAW with Clips and the ability to use a ghost (or empty but for automation) clip , is able to draw any sort of complex LFO and fire it at a certain VST or VSTi.

A native LFO is cool for experimenting, but it was never a big deal to me.

machinesworking wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:37 am
liquidsound wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:34 pmI own the $1 Modulation recorder for M4L and it saves me CPU from the Live's LFO since, when I'm satisfied with the modulation, I then record the Modulation Automation to track and delete the LFO.

That's cool. Honestly I never really got the LFO thing? Track automation in nearly any DAW is copy paste-able. In certain DAWs like DP there's even typical LFO shapes that can be painted in. Any DAW with Clips and the ability to use a ghost (or empty but for automation) clip , is able to draw any sort of complex LFO and fire it at a certain VST or VSTi.

A native LFO is cool for experimenting, but it was never a big deal to me.
Ableton has those LFO shapes to apply at leisure and some other ways to modify them.

The Recorder it’s cool for getting the Random modulation sent to Automation line and then adjust as you like (I like hands on control).

I haven’t tried yet to use it with Modulat output which is phenomenal with LFO shapes manually modifiable like an MSEG and sequence patterns etc.

It’s not a big deal for me either but having those in my toolbox doesn’t hurt.

MIDI 2 could be the answer to MPE having polyphonic expression able, that’s what I understood reading an article in the past.

Maybe Ableton is focusing in the no so far future and investing resources in that direction.

You never know, but MPE may also be soon fading in the MIDI 2 land or getting even more relevant in the future of MIDI 2.
I’m not qualified to know down to those details.

liquidsound wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:25 am MIDI 2 could be the answer to MPE having polyphonic expression able, that’s what I understood reading an article in the past.

Maybe Ableton is focusing in the no so far future and investing resources in that direction.

You never know, but MPE may also be soon fading in the MIDI 2 land or getting even more relevant in the future of MIDI 2.
All I can tell you about that is Ableton, Apple, Steinberg and MOTU are all on the MIDI 2.0 committees for midi.org, of those, only Logic and Cubase do MPE; DP and Live still do not. I've always thought that both MOTU and Ableton were going to implement the spec 100%, and MPE is in the MIDI 2.0 spec. 2.0 is backward compatible with 1.0, so no issues there. When Ableton or MOTU actually do this is anybodies guess.

machinesworking wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:03 am
liquidsound wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:25 am MIDI 2 could be the answer to MPE having polyphonic expression able, that’s what I understood reading an article in the past.

All I can tell you about that is Ableton, Apple, Steinberg and MOTU are all on the MIDI 2.0 committees for midi.org, of those, only Logic and Cubase do MPE; DP and Live still do not. I've always thought that both MOTU and Ableton were going to implement the spec 100%, and MPE is in the MIDI 2.0 spec. 2.0 is backward compatible with 1.0, so no issues there. When Ableton or MOTU actually do this is anybodies guess.
Live will need some core changes to deal with MPE... for example recording each notes midi channel.

I feel very positive about the future. I’ll keep practicing BWS and compose music in MuLab-Ableton.
For now MPE is irrelevant and so I have the luxury of not being stuck in Bitwig.
I have no time to learn M4L because I spend my brain cells in developing CAD solutions and music is a medicine for the soul.
Life is good :D

resistent wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:57 pm
perpetual3 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:26 pm

?? Beside the fact that probably nobody at Ableton care if you moving back I somehow doubt you ever wrote one line of code in your life.
I’m a data scientist, but thanks for the personal attack.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”