Is Harmor the best additive Synth available?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think Harmor is great for having the "additive" power in a more subtractive setting. Super cool synth, I really like it. But if I wanted to have full control over every partial and parameter, I would open MSoundFactory. But I don't really enjoy doing that so much, I find additive synthesis much more fun with synths like Harmor or Razor.

if it are only sines, with FM8 you have 8 operators, o well 6... the others have different function.
it is additve...
but i learned something, while i am using FM8 for years... not all the time... but quite a lot.
i program the FM8 myself, but i have a different goals.
seeing this, gives me a deeper understanding of FM8, strangely. from another viewpoint, always learning, which i don't mind.

The Discussion goes into the wrong Direction(s).

To make it short: the Term "Additive Synthesis" has several Meanings today.

Basicly AS means summing Partials. Unfortunately that is exactly what most additive Synths today can´t do resp. do themselves "somehow".

But however: what exactly do you want to do? Give us an Example, something to think about.

The K5000 maybe improves your Understanding of what AS delivers. It´s still the Measure:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... awai+k5000

And a little Promotion of a Master of this Genre:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46H5_5N ... VnOZWNFxDM

I must admit that I absolutely detest IL's plugin's GUI's. Not only Harmor's, but, also Vocodex's.

So, ya, I guess I'd opt for Razor.

GRUMP wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:08 pm The Discussion goes into the wrong Direction(s).

Yes I agree this thread has taken a few twists and turns and I honestly didn't know what I entered into.
But it has been a learning experience and not just for me.

And thank you for Miso soup.
:tu:

Harmor is still the best thing Ive ever been unable to use due to its gui/workflow/design schema.
After ten years, I think its just me...
But Id recommend to anyone to give it a thorough demo before buying.
ImageImageImageImage

Loom 2 has stuff to like, but it also so infuriating how some functionality is not built into it (and I believe the developer doesn't listen to users, from what I've read). It can be had cheap, maybe even under $20 if you wait for a deal.

SeamlessR has said that Harmor is the synth of the future--that it can do so much. But then I wonder if Imageline will ever update it--it just seems to me that the synth of the future should be evolving. Its resynthesis, for example, is now maybe the third or fourth best resynthesis in the game (out of what I can recall)--still good but could be improved. And the GUI is so packed and weird.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Who cares what seamless says , or even that venus fluff ..

Harmor is nice , so is razor because they both approached additive syntheses from a new angle ( done before and staared by lazerbass ) , still for meticulous editing per partial they don't really do the job .
Alchemy would be better for that
I also think these synths are not the best to Learn additive synthesis .
I wouldn't be surprised that the majority doesn't even know that harmor and razor don't have real filters .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Second Skin wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:20 pm
GRUMP wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:08 pm The Discussion goes into the wrong Direction(s).

Yes I agree this thread has taken a few twists and turns and I honestly didn't know what I entered into.
But it has been a learning experience and not just for me.

And thank you for Miso soup.
:tu:
Delicious, isn´t it? :D

Best Complement for Substractives is - from a contemporary Perspective - A Wavetable Synth i. m. O.

And guess what? If summing Partials (Sine or more complex) is additive Synthesis, then a Synth that delivers 3x8=24 OSC + Wavetable Harmonics Editor for each OSC (up to 1000x Harmonics) is a damn powerful additive Synth. The Layering Concept is a great Simplification for Partial Groups and ... I must admit that I use DUNE 3 most for additive Purposes. But unfortunately you can´t really go Odd with it. OK with "Fine" Tune for the OSC, but not for the Wavetable Harmonics (= 1, 1.25, 1.5, 1.75, ...).

Just saying ... all the best ;-)

The Reason why i digged so deep :D :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYrBrnt ... DM&index=2

Tricky-Loops wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:11 pm Perhaps Syne might be an option?

http://www.musicdevelopments.com/syne.html

EDIT: I didn't found an information about editing partials, is it possible :?:
20000 partials - for when you want to play these full sounding saw waves at 1 Hz. :lol:

At 2 Hz you are already throwing away approx. 10000 of these partials and still play at a frequency that won't be full reproducible on almost any system.

Don't know if there might be some benefit when using higher sampling rates but I guess rather not. For linear processes you will be processing stuff that almost nobody will hear anyway and for non-linear processes you are pushing stuff towards Nyquist that almost nobody will hear.
Passed 303 posts. Next stop: 808.

Tricky-Loops wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:11 pm Perhaps Syne might be an option?

http://www.musicdevelopments.com/syne.html

EDIT: I didn't found an information about editing partials, is it possible :?:
I demoed V1 and nö.

It should maybe be mentioned that most People will tend to use Resynthesis Functions for Spectra and the K5K even had PCM Waves.

I thought Virsyn Cube was still by far the best additive software-synthesizer (that traitor's product aside perhaps - the Lord Voldemort of plugin development :hihi:) - has this changed somehow over the years?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:30 am I thought Virsyn Cube was still by far the best additive software-synthesizer (that traitor's product aside perhaps) - has this changed somehow over the years?
Are the Devs still alive or have they just forgotten him? 😂

MSF for Hardcore Partialing btw 🤘

Last one not mentioned yet: RP Blade. Rob announced V2 for October 🥳🥳🥳

gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:10 pm Who cares what seamless says
I do, regarding Harmor, yep.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

GRUMP wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:33 am
jens wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:30 am I thought Virsyn Cube was still by far the best additive software-synthesizer (that traitor's product aside perhaps) - has this changed somehow over the years?
Are the Devs still alive or have they just forgotten him? 😂

MSF for Hardcore Partialing btw 🤘

Last one not mentioned yet: RP Blade. Rob announced V2 for October 🥳🥳🥳
Does msf have envelopes per partial , noppes
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Instruments”