Can anything compete with DIVA or Repro in 2020?!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva Repro

AnX wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:50 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:30 pm
AnX wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:32 am
Thinking about it would be like carrying owls to Athens, I think.
WTF does that mean?
coals/piss to newcastle.
wasn't aware Athens was famous for producing owls....
dude! you never seen clash of the titans? lulz.

Or maybe you just don't know what's snappy. ;)

vurt wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:08 pm
WTF does that mean?
coals/piss to newcastle.
thats just one owl, and it's not even a real one :o

AnX wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:29 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:08 pm
WTF does that mean?
coals/piss to newcastle.
thats just one owl, and it's not even a real one :o
exactly, you could easily just make one when you get there.

poopinpants wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:41 am I have been trying DIVA and Repro 5 and they are both so good and I am like what out there can even compete and get that believable hardware sound, because I have tried a BUNCH of synths and they cannot compete
Thanks for the good laugh ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey, I got another one : I have tried Sylenth1 and it's so good that no synth can compete.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

chk071 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:54 pmOberhausen sounds better than 99% of the stuff I own, but, hey, to each his own. If anything it's quite limited
How is it limited? It's got two oscillators with cross-modulation, the possibilities are, quite literally, endless.
chk071 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:01 pmYes, I have a couple of soft synths with snappy envelopes. :) And I'm a big fan of them, that's right. Or... at least, I like them. And I wonder why there's so few of them, because I think it's a very favorable property.
Why? I tend to like a bit of attack in most of my synth sounds, even basslines. I bit of attack gives you that bass thump as the filter opens, which is accentuated more as you increase the resonance value. Unless you are using a ladder filter, in which case there is nothing you can do to get that bass thump.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I assume "limited" is the the new hipster buzzword.

anything can compete if you chain sausage fattener after it. :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

BONES wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:16 am
chk071 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:54 pmOberhausen sounds better than 99% of the stuff I own, but, hey, to each his own. If anything it's quite limited
How is it limited? It's got two oscillators with cross-modulation, the possibilities are, quite literally, endless.
It is limited to other synths I own which cost the half of what Oberhausen costs regularly, and which do a 100 times more than Oberhausen.

Don't get me wrong, I like Oberhausen, it's just that it's... limited.
BONES wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:16 am
chk071 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:01 pmYes, I have a couple of soft synths with snappy envelopes. :) And I'm a big fan of them, that's right. Or... at least, I like them. And I wonder why there's so few of them, because I think it's a very favorable property.
Why? I tend to like a bit of attack in most of my synth sounds, even basslines. I bit of attack gives you that bass thump as the filter opens, which is accentuated more as you increase the resonance value. Unless you are using a ladder filter, in which case there is nothing you can do to get that bass thump.
Now you gotta be kidding me. :P A Minimoog is the definition of that bass thump you are talking about. It has a gazillion times snappier envelopes and filter behavior as well.

Horses for courses. It shouldn't surprise you though that the Oberheim's were rather famous for their pads than their snappy bass sounds.

Minimoog = mono
Oberheim = poly

i wonder why one is famous for bass, the other for pads.... :-P

bx_oberhausen... one of my criticisms in 2019 was the very high CPU consumption and the very high price (Diva is better in both areas). But without doubt, the bx_oberhausen sounds better than e.g. the Arturia SEM (the Arturia sounds rather thin). Was the CPU consumption optimised with later updates? With the price... PA is well known that you can only buy the plugins at special offers ;) Then the prices are no fantasy prices...

Competing with Diva... hmm... for me yes. I use the (Arturia) SEM much more often than Diva, because I like the easy programming and the sound. bx_oberhausen is even better and therefore certainly a candidate as a competitor...

Yeah the Obie bass sounds were pretty limited :hihi:
Would not say the bass sounds of the Jupiter were much better than the Juno. Decent, but that was in the 80's about all.

The Roland drums, the horrible TB. They created the whole revival, not the analog synths lol. Most were digital. Nobody wanted analog. Until vsts came.. then suddenly people began to use the "magic" word "analog" again.

Not because of all those stupid synths but because of audio hardware. Kinda expensive stuff. Just marketing. All it is. People won't notice anyhow. The wish is the father of the thought.

All the rest is a suggestion. How someone perceives something. It's about air impressions. That's all.

AnX wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:05 am Minimoog = mono
Oberheim = poly

i wonder why one is famous for bass, the other for pads.... :-P
Well... a polyphonic synth can do both. That was my point. That their synths aren't particularly known for their bass sounds, but rather for their pad sounds.

Best Way to use a Synth is to make it do Things it is not made for - and "Pads" are Not necessarily polyphonic anymore like the "Boomer Pads" have been :|

But look! A Squirrel! 🐿️

Double

Return to “Instruments”