What about MSEG modulator in Bitwig ?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

-- please delete --

We absolutely need a first-class MSEG modulator (with a capable set of drawing features) as a native Bitwig device. I hope to the gods that everyone is making that feature request of the Bitwig devs, because it's a huge QOL feature that is conspicuously absent right now.

Yokai wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:42 pm We absolutely need a first-class MSEG modulator (with a capable set of drawing features) as a native Bitwig device. I hope to the gods that everyone is making that feature request of the Bitwig devs, because it's a huge QOL feature that is conspicuously absent right now.
totally agree

wrote to support about this several times
RME Babyface Pro / Bitwig / Adam A7X / Elektron AR MKII / Novation Peak / Akai Force / Eurorack

+1. This would be very useful.

I would absolutely love this to be included!

+1000

...and the years went by and a megaf*ckton of new modulators for creating glitchy experimental randomness was added, and yet still no MSEG modulator.

Scoox wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:16 am ...and the years went by and a megaf*ckton of new modulators for creating glitchy experimental randomness was added, and yet still no MSEG modulator.
I DO want Bitwig to finally add the MSEG, but what is it exactly that you can't do without it? Between 4-Stage, Steps and clip modulation I can't say I miss it that much, although admittedly I'm not as technically focused on my music like many people seem to.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:46 am
Scoox wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:16 am ...and the years went by and a megaf*ckton of new modulators for creating glitchy experimental randomness was added, and yet still no MSEG modulator.
I DO want Bitwig to finally add the MSEG, but what is it exactly that you can't do without it? Between 4-Stage, Steps and clip modulation I can't say I miss it that much, although admittedly I'm not as technically focused on my music like many people seem to.
I would use it mainly for rhythmic parameter automation (basically like LFOtool). There are probably other ways to do this in Bitwig but an MESG is the most straightforward and intuitive. I've not yet switched to Bitwig (currently using FL precisely because of it's automation features) so I'm probably missing loads of tricks. From what I've read an MSEG modulator is a popular FR so I suspect it can do stuff that ATM can't be done or, at least, can't be done easily/conveniently.

Scoox wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:08 am
I would use it mainly for rhythmic parameter automation (basically like LFOtool). There are probably other ways to do this in Bitwig but an MESG is the most straightforward and intuitive. I've not yet switched to Bitwig (currently using FL precisely because of it's automation features) so I'm probably missing loads of tricks. From what I've read an MSEG modulator is a popular FR so I suspect it can do stuff that ATM can't be done or, at least, can't be done easily/conveniently.
Yeah... an MSEG is a popular request. It’s a straightforward tool that makes sense to lots of people.

Once I started getting into modular wiring, I found I liked combining simpler modules to create complex modulation. It is morphable and itself modulatable in ways an MSEG isn’t. MSEG’s are kinda static and tedious to edit all the individual points.

I’m glad if Bitwig adds an MSEG for those who want it and work that way... and I will use it here and there, but for me there are more interesting ways to get to where I want to go.

pdxindy wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:44 pm
Yeah... an MSEG is a popular request. It’s a straightforward tool that makes sense to lots of people.

Once I started getting into modular wiring, I found I liked combining simpler modules to create complex modulation. It is morphable and itself modulatable in ways an MSEG isn’t. MSEG’s are kinda static and tedious to edit all the individual points.

I’m glad if Bitwig adds an MSEG for those who want it and work that way... and I will use it here and there, but for me there are more interesting ways to get to where I want to go.
Most MESG plugins provide ways to modulate the envelops so it's not completely static. With LFOtool you can automate individual envelope points and even the segment tension.

Scoox wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:01 pm
Most MESG plugins provide ways to modulate the envelops so it's not completely static. With LFOtool you can automate individual envelope points and even the segment tension.
Yeah... but doing so is very tedious. It’s no fun at all. That’s why I prefer different approaches. Anyway, to each their own. :tu:

Scoox wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:01 pm
pdxindy wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:44 pm

Very similar to when the Eq in BWS it’s modulated, not that tedious.
Actually it has an enormous level of secondary effects that can go quite deep.

EditAdd:
BWS is the king of modulations for a DAW and they have produced an array of clever modulators.
I can’t come up with a reason or a line of thought why such a well used tool in so many synths and effects devices it has being delayed in a modulation “par excellence” DAW.
Not a criticism but a curiosity.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

liquidsound wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:37 pm I can’t come up with a reason or a line of thought why such a well used tool in so many synths and effects devices it has being delayed in a modulation “par excellence” DAW.
Not a criticism but a curiosity.
My guess is that an MSEG would require something outside of the parameters of current modulators... maybe a bigger draw space or something like that

antic604 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:46 am
I miss it deeply, an easy thing like having an attack part independent of the rest of an envelope is simply impossible to achieve. This is crucial for MPE controllers. You want the velocity only act on the first part of an envelope (level of the first segment is not adjustable with an ADSR! ADSRs suck big time, no synth should be restricted to that in 2020, Yamaha did it right in 1984!...)
I would be fine if an MSEG had just 4 complete segments like a DX7 had... This should be embarrassing for the devs to have no MSEG. Its easy to implement as well...

Return to “Bitwig”