Can anything compete with DIVA or Repro in 2020?!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva Repro

Urs wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:08 am
GRUMP wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:56 pm ... here a link to a German Discussion with a quiet critical Majority https://www.sequencer.de/synthesizer/th ... zen.93292/
I don't feel like they're discussing Diva much. They're mostly discussing hardware vs. software.

And of course some post mandatory Youtube demos of analogue synths with a lot of delay and reverb. And then they can't come close with the software :clap:

Title? They are generalizing somehow (that german "all the same"). But yes - let's say that Diva has evoked a Discussion HW/SW. Something like that. Diva is Software and Software is still "different". For more or less certain Reasons.

Why can't People just like it or not - and is Marketing eventually the Cause of this strange Behaviour? (Boomer Question, I know ...).

Moogulator always has a nice way of saying nothing at all. :)

BONES wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:08 am
e-crooner wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:34 pmWhat's K-I-S-S? 8)
Keep It Simple, Stupid.
Nor do I know what you mean by your last sentence. I consider myself a sound designer. As a sound designer I can't live with 1 or 2 envelopes. Additional envelopes can make a big difference.
I consider sound design to be about 5% of what I do as an artist. It's a skill anyone working with synthesisers or in a studio has to have if they want to do good work. It's not something I see as a valid standalone trade. If you're a good sound designer, you should be able to coax great sounds out of anything and working with a more limited set of tools would be the ultimate challenge, wouldn't it? I certainly couldn't create our wall of sound from 4 or 5 instruments if I wasn't a competent sound designer.
This is why I think an additional envelope would be a bonus.
I just made a new electric piano sound (which you hate, anyway :hihi:
), I could not do this with only two envelopes :wink:

https://app.box.com/s/yie71qiy2d59dq111eywh6s1dqkoodbj
Last edited by e-crooner on Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GRUMP wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:09 pm
GRUMP wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:56 pm ... here a link to a German Discussion with a quiet critical Majority https://www.sequencer.de/synthesizer/th ... zen.93292/
I don't feel like they're discussing Diva much. They're mostly discussing hardware vs. software.

And of course some post mandatory Youtube demos of analogue synths with a lot of delay and reverb. And then they can't come close with the software :clap:

Title? They are generalizing somehow (that german "all the same"). But yes - let's say that Diva has evoked a Discussion HW/SW. Something like that. Diva is Software and Software is still "different". For more or less certain Reasons.

Why can't People just like it or not - and is Marketing eventually the Cause of this strange Behaviour? (Boomer Question, I know ...).
Some people in the thread indeed say they like Diva or not. Absolutely cool.

But the sheer amount of posts who talk about things like the feel/importance of hardware surfaces, the possibility (or opposite thereof) of circuit emulations and other off-topic ramblings... they lead me to the conclusion that a whole lot of people in these threads have no interest in discussing Diva... thus they post whatever stance they have - without even considering the options.

Why would anyone be interested in the opinion of someone who hasn't even tried Diva? Who may just have watched a Youtube video to "do their research"?

And please... what part of our marketing is hyperbole enough to disappoint people when they actually try it? Where do we paint a picture so utterly rosy that it borderlines a lie?

chk071 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:43 amIt is limited to other synths I own which cost the half of what Oberhausen costs regularly, and which do a 100 times more than Oberhausen.
It may not have as many features but if you really think it can't do what other synths can, then you don't understand how to use a synthesiser. A huge list of features doesn't necessarily equate to anything.
Don't get me wrong, I like Oberhausen, it's just that it's... limited.
It's not bristling with features but, as I said, it has all the important ingredients to make any sound your little heart desires. You just have to know how to use it.
Now you gotta be kidding me. :P A Minimoog is the definition of that bass thump you are talking about.
No it's not, it's filter means it is simply incapable of it. The amount of bottom end that is in the oscillator is the sum total of what's available. Yes, it's got big, fat oscillators but that only gets you so far.
It has a gazillion times snappier envelopes and filter behavior as well.
So how does that matter? I honestly don't get it. I don't see any advantage in the envelopes in The Legend, for example, over those in any other synth I own. Hence my question. As in, where do they come in handy?
It shouldn't surprise you though that the Oberheim's were rather famous for their pads than their snappy bass sounds.
Not at the time. All of those kinds of judgements have come 40 years later. People traded their Minimoogs in on a shiny new Oberheim because of polyphony and patch memory. Nobody cared about differences in their sound because one could do so many useful things the other could not. It's only now, when we all have access to dozens of synths that can meet any of our needs that people will argue over unimportant shit like this.
excuse me please wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:18 amYeah the Obie bass sounds were pretty limited :hihi:
Maybe if you didn't know what you were doing but bx_oberhausen is now my no. 1, first choice bass machine every time. It has the biggest bottom end you will ever hear. It is absolutely huge.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Did the Oberheims even have a mono mode? If not, that's not so good for bass sounds as any overlap of bass notes would cause a nasty mess.

Urs wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:57 pm
GRUMP wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:09 pm

Some people in the thread indeed say they like Diva or not. Absolutely cool.

But the sheer amount of posts who talk about things like the feel/importance of hardware surfaces, the possibility (or opposite thereof) of circuit emulations and other off-topic ramblings... they lead me to the conclusion that a whole lot of people in these threads have no interest in discussing Diva... thus they post whatever stance they have - without even considering the options.

Why would anyone be interested in the opinion of someone who hasn't even tried Diva? Who may just have watched a Youtube video to "do their research"?

And please... what part of our marketing is hyperbole enough to disappoint people when they actually try it? Where do we paint a picture so utterly rosy that it borderlines a lie?
Fighting like a Lion for his Baby *rooaarmiaumiau". I'm very pleased by your Attendance 😉

But let's make it short: we're running into those chronic Problems of Modernity. Truth, Facts, Opinions, Pereception, Subjectivity - to mention just the most important Questionmarks.

I'm fine when People say "analogue", ideally state their Subjectivity afterwards and explain their Conceprs - but I demand a certain Respect towards other Opinions. Or Summarys. Or Perceptions (too). Everything else leads to senseless Debates like the one above.

We're obviously talking about a digital Synth. The Forum for sure reflects different Opinions - and different Perceptions are a fundamental Problem of Marketing ( that's why it is often meaningless).

And last but not least: the 70s Children have seen lots of technical Progress that has until today always been followed by further Development that was previously excluded. Marketing could maybe reflect that (and the missused Trust) a little bit more sensitive.

But just btw me personally - I'm digital anyway :|

All the Best! 😉

e-crooner wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:18 pm Did the Oberheims even have a mono mode? If not, that's not so good for bass sounds as any overlap of bass notes would cause a nasty mess.
They had unison which is not quite the same.

BONES wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:10 pm Maybe if you didn't know what you were doing but bx_oberhausen is now my no. 1, first choice bass machine every time. It has the biggest bottom end you will ever hear. It is absolutely huge.
What about FXpansion Strobe (something between SH and Juno)?

4damind wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:28 pm
BONES wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:10 pm Maybe if you didn't know what you were doing but bx_oberhausen is now my no. 1, first choice bass machine every time. It has the biggest bottom end you will ever hear. It is absolutely huge.
What about FXpansion Strobe (something between SH and Juno)?
This. I recently got Strobe 2 for a steal ($30) and it blows me away.

perpetual3 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:44 pm This. I recently got Strobe 2 for a steal ($30) and it blows me away.
2nd hand license I assume?

gondii wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:43 pm
perpetual3 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:44 pm This. I recently got Strobe 2 for a steal ($30) and it blows me away.
2nd hand license I assume?
No actually, Musicans Friend was having a sale over the summer.

Yeah, as the license transfer fee is $50 (as far as I know), a 2nd hand license for $30 would have been quite a surprise. :)

chk071 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:14 pm Yeah, as the license transfer fee is $50 (as far as I know), a 2nd hand license for $30 would have been quite a surprise. :)
Yeah man, was lurking around here one day, heard people talking about the sale. I had to order a box with nothing but a serial code inside. Took weeks to arrive, and kind of forgot about it. One day, was reading about the morph of the poly brute, remembered the morph on Strobe and many amazing sounds later ...

Hmmm, nice one. Musicians Friend was US only IIRC?

Return to “Instruments”