Geonkick - percussion synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi I am not sure here but are we allowed to create our own beats drums etc with the Geonkick plugin and then bundle them into a sample pack for sharing or selling or is there legal prohibiting this please?

What I do want to do is likely share a pack as I tried this creating a pack with the surge synthesizer and asked the creator can we legaly sell or share packs which the response was yes the license covers the software so the performance you play is allowed to be sold and to be shared it's yours to do what you like with.

I am just wondering does the same set of rules apply to Geonkick and/or all opensource softwares instruments in general or are some rules for some opensource plugins different then?

I must add that unfa's guide on youtube shows it off as a phenomenal plugin with awesome layering abilities and just a rich range of tweaks and mods to use with it to create some unreal sounds it's truly amazing.

Thanks greatly in advance for any help here. :tu:
Last edited by WIZARDZ on Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Looks like I am late for this one. The link gives a 404 error.

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

resistent wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:59 am
Erisian wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:08 pm Looks like I am late for this one. The link gives a 404 error.
Try this link: https://github.com/iurie-sw/geonkick

Look(ed) promising but also abandon + there is no Windows version.
Thanks. If there is no Windows version, that's me out. :(

Quite impressive for a free project.
It seems to share a lot of the same aspects of Sonic Academy's Kick2.
From the screenshot it looks like they even went as far as updating the display to show a graphical representation of noise mixed into the waveform?
Something even Kick2 didn't include.

WIZARDZ wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:00 pm I am just wondering does the same set of rules apply to Geonkick and/or all opensource softwares instruments in general or are some rules for some opensource plugins different then?
No, the rules on copyright for open source plugins are the same as the rules on copyright for any other software. In fact open source couldn't exist if it wasn't for copyright rules.
What's different are the conditions of use. Commercial conditions of use tend to amount to 'no redistribution of the software.' Open source conditions of use amount to 'no redistribution of the software without provision of the source code'

And the copyright rules for a bit of software have no relevance to the copyright on audio made with that software.
Technically, the conditions of use might. However conditions of use that prevent the user of a bit of audio software from making audio with them are kinda rare, funnily enough. This code is under the GPL, though, as a result of using other GPL'd code, and that would prevent people adding additional conditions of use on top of those in the GPL.

And since this thing doesnt rely on samples, there cant be any copyright issue there either, because copyright for audio is with regard to redistributing pre-existing, copyrighted, audio.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:01 pm And since this thing doesnt rely on samples, there cant be any copyright issue there either, because copyright for audio is with regard to redistributing pre-existing, copyrighted, audio.
Thanks for the time in explaining the procedure.
I often wondered for example how Eric Persing could pull down a clone of a D50 and yet go on to sample real hardware and create Ominisphere. Assuming he sampled real hardware?
Is that how it works? If I can afford to buy a hardware Synth and completely sample it I am good to go?
As long as there's no PCM's or underlying samples mixed in.

Second Skin wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:39 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:01 pm And since this thing doesnt rely on samples, there cant be any copyright issue there either, because copyright for audio is with regard to redistributing pre-existing, copyrighted, audio.
Thanks for the time in explaining the procedure.
I often wondered for example how Eric Persing could pull down a clone of a D50 and yet go on to sample real hardware and create Ominisphere. Assuming he sampled real hardware?
Is that how it works? If I can afford to buy a hardware Synth and completely sample it I am good to go?
As long as there's no PCM's or underlying samples mixed in.
Well, Eric Persing had the advantage of being the original sound designer for some of those hardware synths he sampled, so he's an outlier, but yes, basically.
If the audio you get out of a synth is entirely synthetic, ie has no basis in samples, then yes you can sample it without any copyright concerns.

As soon as you're reusing someone else's sample's, including those baked into romplers, you know you need to consider copyright.
FWIW, its not that its not possible to do it, its that you legally need permission from the copyright holder, and in many cases you may not get it.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Yes Eric seemed to be in the right place at the right time with enough talent to capitalize. Good for him :)
Thanks whyterabbyt!

Is there a Windows version of this, what's this source code repository, how do i install it?

Looks very tasty. Are there any free versions of this plugin for windows?

It's out on Windows now.
https://geonkick.org/

Very good news! Thanks!
I tried it on Windows and the gui is still a little bit glitchy, and it overloaded GPU making it impossible to use the DAW in some situations, but good start and happy to see it ported!

vanerio wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:23 am Very good news! Thanks!
I tried it on Windows and the gui is still a little bit glitchy, and it overloaded GPU making it impossible to use the DAW in some situations, but good start and happy to see it ported!
This should be fixed on Windows now (it is for me). 3.1.1 is available from GitHub.

I've also requested the ability to browse drives other than just C: - my samples are on another disk... Also also.. Compressor (actually not a compressor), and Distortion are not working on Windows, but the plugin can still make a lot of decent drums sounds without them.

neverbeeninariot wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:28 pm This should be fixed on Windows now (it is for me). 3.1.1 is available from GitHub.
Yes, it seems to work much better! Thank you!

Return to “Instruments”