Softube Model 72 - Plugin + Modules for Softube Modular and Amp Room

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Softube's last module release (the Vermona) still crashes Ableton Live for me even 6 months after release (been back and forth with support), so reluctant to get any more modules for Modular. Plus, they don't look that exciting.

Second Skin wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:35 pm
GRUMP wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:27 pm
Their Horns are excellent Butt Plugs ☝️😂😂😂
When their ships start arriving I am hoping that is not their message :D
They'll call it "love" and even make you pay for it :| I don't need to tell you what Gearsluts have to expect 😂

SHall1000 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:43 pm Softube's last module release (the Vermona) still crashes Ableton Live for me even 6 months after release (been back and forth with support), so reluctant to get any more modules for Modular. Plus, they don't look that exciting.
wich os ? i have a stable modular vst / au. with all the module (osx 10.12.6 under cubase / reaper / mulabs)

PAK wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:31 pm
WasteLand wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:21 pmpromo code: it states it is only for modular owners
Modular is included with the Volume bundle, but they don't offer a discount for those users on the website. Those guys who bought our 800 euro pack? Yeah, screw those guys.

Regular non-intro price is €159 - otherwise known as €100 less than a Boog. Perhaps priced more to convince about the value of any future Vol 5 bundle (if it's included) rather than the standalone product?

TBH I'm not a huge fan - I think devs like DMG offer better quality for less money in the FX dept these days, minus the vintage GUI. So not sure if I should expect more from an instrument. I guess someone must still be paying if they're holding on to the Universal Audio pricing structure. Otherwise, 20 euros less than Diva, given what it offers in comparison? Yeah..
the discount works also for everyone, it is €79.20. so €100 less than diva.
i don't are interested in full prices, i never pay them at full.

disclaimer: this is not defend model 72 against diva. just stating the real price, now.
evo2slo wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:45 pm Demoing the Model 72 now and it truly does sound great. Compared it to the usual crew (Diva, Monark, Mini V, and Legend) and I preferred Model 72 to all of them. I was able to get closest to its sound with Legend. There's a lot of drift in Model 72 and I had to turn up the osc drift in Legend, along with fine tuning adjustments to approximate it. I also had to add some preamp saturation with a separate plug - the amp saturation in Legend couldn't match it. Black Rooster VPRE-73 got me close.
there is indeed a lot of drift in model 72, did i write it here or somewhere else, i call them nonlinearities, perhaps they really do component modelling. or another trick.

there are ways to mimic transitor behavior, even power supplies, the heat that builds up, other conditions. there are even languages for it;

https://blog.wolfram.com/2020/07/23/dig ... m-modeler/

vult, a DSP developer made is own language, but here he is talking about the wolfram language.

but for instance, i made a patch, mimicing model 72, in Mini V3, i noticed how the filtered drifted, as if it were modulated. perhaps it is a simple drift. and Mini V3, in certain way, can do it also.
but model 72 seems nonlinear like hell.. which makes the sound, not at the beginning, when you play, then the sound can be almost identical.
but then you here a lot of harmonics, drifting, nonlinearities, also the filter. don't know how clean the oscillators are.
aha saturation, perhaps they use some other tricks, but softube states:

"It's component modeled down to the smallest details with from 1972 hardware in pristine condition with all the quirks and non-linearities intact, hence the name Model 72."

which the way you emulate, but perhaps they improved the process, or used another one.

this doesn't mean mini v3 becomes useless, model 72 has another character, and cán sound dull.
so, but still i notice the same.

vskunk wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:26 pm
SHall1000 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:43 pm Softube's last module release (the Vermona) still crashes Ableton Live for me even 6 months after release (been back and forth with support), so reluctant to get any more modules for Modular. Plus, they don't look that exciting.
wich os ? i have a stable modular vst / au. with all the module (osx 10.12.6 under cubase / reaper / mulabs)
the new updates must fix this, it was something with user preferences. deleting them also worked...
but the new updates seem stable (i had more problems; also the immediate ableton crash on vermona; tried it now with new modular version; works, no crash! seem to work stable at last!).

so update all your softube plugins to the latest versions (2.5.3, and 2.5.4 for modular and heartbeat).

I for one have always thought Modular and Heartbeat are among the best in their respective classes when it comes to sound and rather last when it comes to workflow. Still, excited to try and will probably buy. Whenever I use Modular, I make something both musical and completely unlike fixed architectures.

disclaimer: this is not defend model 72 against diva. just stating the real price, now.
To be fair, unless you are ONLY interested in the Minimoog, you cant compare Diva to a single emulation.
Diva offers way more so the price difference isn't really comparable.

canadian_moose wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:21 pm

To be fair, unless you are ONLY interested in the Minimoog, you cant compare Diva to a single emulation.
Diva offers way more so the price difference isn't really comparable.
i know diva can do more, don't have it, but of course i know it. so indeed not comparable, was only saying, it is not in that price range.

I thought I didn't need another synth, and most of the time I use more modern sounds than old-school subtractive with basic waveforms, but this sounds really really gorgeous. I would prefer if it had a poly mode, but the doubler makes it a bit more appealing to create chords with the oscillator pitches.

While I am old-skool, those Minimoog sounds in the video are too old and dusty even for my taste :hihi:

You probably don´t belong to the Target Group. Motor Cycles are also not made for young Rowdies anymore. They are designed for the ones that have once been a young Rowdie. Decades ago. They´re also probably the only ones who really concider buying a monophonic Synth in 2020 :D

GRUMP wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:06 pm You probably don´t belong to the Target Group. Motor Cycles are also not made for young Rowdies anymore. They are designed for the ones that have once been a young Rowdie. Decades ago. They´re also probably the only ones who really concider buying a monophonic Synth in 2020 :D
You mean they make plugins specifically for the elderly?! That's very nice and geriatric 8)

The Minimoog sound never grows old. :)

regarding the video on youtube it sound pretty good !

Arturia MinimoogV still quenches my moog thirst fine.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Instruments”