Contest: October ”Gossip”

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Like woodoo dolls... Now, do they inhabit spirits too, I wonder.

vurt wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:16 pm
skipscada wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:05 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:53 pm
skipscada wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:38 pm
farlukar wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:27 pm “Hello, my name's not Ian”
That definitely inspires me more than Halloween the movie series (of which I've seen 0 movies).
youll make michael cry :(
I don't know much about the genre, but I suppose that means I will die a horrible death shortly ... unless ... What if I promise to watch a Halloween movie? Which one would you recommend?
as for halloween, the first two are great (originals)
Well, noon can accuse me of not taking this challenge seriously. I have now seen the first one. Entertaining. It's good to see a proper B movie now and again. Loved the 70s setting and the archtypical American neighbourhood. The setpiece when Laurie enters the Myers' house and finds the bodies is a visual highlight. The rest has probably lost a lot of the effect since all the dramatic tricks have been done to death (!) since then. Made some mental notes about the music, although I'm thinking something along The Misfits lines will suit me better.

harvon wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:56 pm Like woodoo dolls... Now, do they inhabit spirits too, I wonder.
well, why do you think i keep them in little prisons?

also, if it does come to it, theres enough jedis and superheros downstairs to keep me safe :D

skipscada wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:08 am
farlukar wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:27 pm “Hello, my name's not Ian”
That definitely inspires me more than Halloween the movie series (of which I've seen 0 movies).
I don't know much about the genre, but I suppose that means I will die a horrible death shortly ... unless ... What if I promise to watch a Halloween movie? Which one would you recommend?
Well, noon can accuse me of not taking this challenge seriously. I have now seen the first one. Entertaining. It's good to see a proper B movie now and again.
thats the thing!
they are just a bit of entertainment, no story to follow, beyond the badman, kills people, easy! some people try to compare them to for example silence of the lambs, and this does make them seem a bit shitty. but theyre not supposed to be thought provoking or have a twist, theyre the horror equivalent of tekken, compared to more intense games that require some real strategy.

while both myself and hellfog, may have bemoaned halloween 3: season of the witch. it might be worth you watching that, its a very different film, very good but not a halloween film imo, no michael :(
(one of the much later 8 or 9 i think, he kills tyra banks, so thats fun :shrug:
(was forced to endure too much americas next top model by the ex).

glad it wasnt a chore anyway, didnt expect you to come away a fan, but im glad you didnt feel like time was totally wasted :)

vurt wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:00 pm
skipscada wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:08 am

Well, noon can accuse me of not taking this challenge seriously. I have now seen the first one. Entertaining. It's good to see a proper B movie now and again.
thats the thing!
they are just a bit of entertainment, no story to follow, beyond the badman, kills people, easy! some people try to compare them to for example silence of the lambs, and this does make them seem a bit shitty. but theyre not supposed to be thought provoking or have a twist, theyre the horror equivalent of tekken, compared to more intense games that require some real strategy.
Yes, definitely, but there's also something a bit like folk tales about genre movies in that they develop clearly defined tropes/clichés that can be fun to try to think a bit deeper about. Actually I think my contribution this week will be centred around the "final girl" trope.
vurt wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:00 pmglad it wasnt a chore anyway, didnt expect you to come away a fan, but im glad you didnt feel like time was totally wasted :)
Definitely not a chore. Actually it kickstarted a return to movie watching for me (Harry Dean Stanton's swansong "Lucky" yesterday, basically the opposite of Halloween in most respects). My screentime boomed this spring under strict lockdown, but I lost the habit when the rest of the family started monopolizing the projector/screen combo. Now I'm back in the sofa. :tu:

What about make a theme for an imaginary horror movie. I could do a song about killer clowns with a circus music beat.
Don’t worry you can use killer clowns as the theme if you want.
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

You could drive a truck through interpreting what "inspired by" means tbh. You could be inspired to do something completely unlike Halloween.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:25 pm You could drive a truck through interpreting what "inspired by" means tbh. You could be inspired to do something completely unlike Halloween.
of course, however, since jason x, jason has had a coded avatar. ie he can come and get you via interweb.
is this a chance worth taking?

you may say, well why would jason give a crap if we upset michael?
well, i met both of them, and they seem like fairly good friends :)

i met freddy too, but that was at a different event.
never got to meet leatherface :(

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:25 pm You could drive a truck through interpreting what "inspired by" means tbh. You could be inspired to do something completely unlike Halloween.
yes

3 mins to kill a whole neighbourhood?
no problem :evil:

"Inspired" isn't the first word that springs to mind, but here
is a bunch of people who got together to record Misfits' "Halloween II". My own project is transforming into a sort of mixture between Carpenter (John, not Karen) and Nick Cave.

I thought I had a Halloween style thing, but then my TD-3 arrived and it's now mutated into something that's the opposite of scary

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Music Bird wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:45 am What about make a theme for an imaginary horror movie.
We did that a number of years ago (2004!) and looking back the blurb for my entry was;

"'The year is 2020. Margaret Thatcher's preserved head in a tank rules Britain from a heavily fortified Downing Street. Her 2nd in command Bluey roams the decayed and anarchic streets with his band of genetically modified stormtroopers, looking for deviants. Meanwhile something is sucking the life out of people and leaving their bodies as lifeless husks....."

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=45615&p=552137&hil ... er#p552137

There's still time for 'The Lady' to make an appearance, wouldn't be surprised... :scared:

skipscada wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:24 am "Inspired" isn't the first word that springs to mind, but (lovely youtube video)
is a bunch of people who got together to record Misfits' "Halloween II". My own project is transforming into a sort of mixture between Carpenter (John, not Karen) and Nick Cave.
Man that is an absolutely brilliant video. Thanks for sharing. :clap:
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

donkey tugger wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:13 pm
Music Bird wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:45 am What about make a theme for an imaginary horror movie.
We did that a number of years ago (2004!) .....

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=45615&p=552137&hil ... er#p552137
Crikey, that was the month of my first ever KVR competition entry. The link to my entry in that thread doesn't work any more, and I am not sure if I can find the original file to repost. But I know that it would need to be remixed and remastered. I didn't have a clue what I was doing at that stage (hadn't even heard of compression, let alone used it!).

Some good old names from the past in that thread. Good to see some of them still around. I wonder what the rest are doing now?
Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so.

Return to “Music Cafe”