DSM V3 - Another PA plugin released today

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would like more opinions on DSM3 vs Soothe2 please!
I use DSM very often, it's very good at what it does and always eyeing Soothe but I won't get it cause of the iLok system, sorry.. :P

audiot wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:21 pm What an amazing tool! And currently on sale for 49 € :hyper:
even cheaper with this code: MEGA-SALE-20OFF

3ee wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:58 pm I would like more opinions on DSM3 vs Soothe2 please!
I use DSM very often, it's very good at what it does and always eyeing Soothe but I won't get it cause of the iLok system, sorry.. :P
Soothe is more surgical! It only affects the frequency ranges that you set up and leaves the rest untouched. I'm new to DSM but i feel that it somehow adds some overall tonal balance to the sound :?: (to less experience to give a proper opinion). DSEQ is also worth a look (79 €), but Soothe is more precise.

If you can get Soothe on a sale, or a 2nd hand license, then get it ... the hype for Soothe is justified :) But it adds latency! BTW: I never had iLok problems (i'm using it since 2014, i think)

audiot wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:30 pm
3ee wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:58 pm I would like more opinions on DSM3 vs Soothe2 please!
Soothe is more surgical! It only affects the frequency ranges that you set up and leaves the rest untouched. I'm new to DSM but i feel that it somehow adds some overall tonal balance to the sound :?: (to less experience to give a proper opinion). DSEQ is also worth a look (79 €), but Soothe is more precise.

If you can get Soothe on a sale, or a 2nd hand license, then get it ... the hype for Soothe is justified :) But it adds latency! BTW: I never had iLok problems (i'm using it since 2014, i think)
That ☝️
Also, from my point of view comparing DSM with Soothe is like using a Pultec for de-essing. There are some things DSM does well, for sure. Soothe does many other things DSM can't.
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

bmanic wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:39 pm I'd like to know this too. DSM V2 was buggy as hell. Sometimes still dropping the captured spectrum and not opening correctly with a session.
NO!!! It kills me that this amazing design is rendered practically unusable. I've played "support tag" with this issue literally for years now (since v2). I assumed it had been fixed with V3 until I began trusting my ears. It has the same bug – only worse! Where v2 would display a reset flat curve, v3 gives no indication – the curve appears to be retained only it isn't. There's no way of knowing unless you hear it, which is preposterous as the DSM is at it's best when used subtly. However, I cannot use something I cannot trust.

doesnt matter
Last edited by Spring Goose on Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

-- doesnt matter
Last edited by Spring Goose on Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrtaylormusic wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:08 pm
bmanic wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:39 pm I'd like to know this too. DSM V2 was buggy as hell. Sometimes still dropping the captured spectrum and not opening correctly with a session.
NO!!! It kills me that this amazing design is rendered practically unusable. I've played "support tag" with this issue literally for years now (since v2). I assumed it had been fixed with V3 until I began trusting my ears. It has the same bug – only worse! Where v2 would display a reset flat curve, v3 gives no indication – the curve appears to be retained only it isn't. There's no way of knowing unless you hear it, which is preposterous as the DSM is at it's best when used subtly. However, I cannot use something I cannot trust.
I have only used V3 and not that much, but I have yet to encountered any loss of capture curve except when I had set a 1024 buffer number in "Block size to use when rendering:" (Reaper v6 - Preferences/audio/rendering) while working at 512.

Then it completely dropped the capture when I rendered any audio

...thought it may be worth posting if anybody else is having a similair issue... don't know much how other hosts works, but it appears that DSM are sensitive to block size changes or things related to it...
Last edited by Kr3eM on Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

quoted myself instead of editing

about the bug: first of all.. officially report it with the details you have! ..that way it may get fixed!

Then: ... if you close the project (better yet the DAW) and open it back again, the bug is gone until next time ;) ..hopefully you didn't re-adjust the threshold and 'eq' points before realizing the bug has kicked in ;)

This happens relatively rarely but happens for sure... it doesn't seem to drop the curve.. just the threshold 'resets' to a different value under the hood..

As I noticed, the bug tends to happen with multiple projects open and/or under CPU/buffering strain or if you have the projects open for a long time and PC going to sleep and you continue working on them the next time(s) you wake it up..

Hope it'll get fixed, DSM is very useful... it's something between dynamic-eq and more spectral like processors such as soothe

Very special and from the idea very good plugin. Unfortunately, I also had bugs that made it impossible to work properly. I often had completely different (higher) levels after rendering. Presumably the threshold curve disappeared during offline rendering. After exporting and setting it again, it worked again... I don't use the DSM V3 anymore because of this.

hey guys, i read about the plugin lately and it seems very nice, are there any alternatives or is it still recommended for mastering in final touches? hope the bugs were sorted out.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

MSpectralDynamics has much of the same functionality and can do a lot more. But it's also more complicated to use.

Return to “Effects”