Kawai K1 as VSTi - Nils' K1v is here

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nils K1v

Nils Schneider wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:34 am Could you test something for me? Does this behavior change if you set the poly limit for each multi section from VR to 8? I noticed a big difference. I played around with it and for the MYSTRY Multi, I can easily exceed a voice count of 80, which results in 320 Sources being played at the same time. This is much more than a K1 could do. Its not a problem on my machine, but might be an issue on slower ones. I'm thinking about adding automatic voice stealing if the CPU usage gets too high.
Second question if you don't mind, does your CPU usage drop after some time after you've hit stop in Bitwig? CPU usage should drop to idle again after all voices have finished playing.
I think you are right. If I set the VR to 1 or 8 it goes away. In this multi the issue is the Visitors patch. I can also reproduce it if I use it in Single mode but it is a bit weird. I tried deactivating the parts of the patch, 1 and 2 have a quite long release (but not crazy long) but the effect only starts to happen when 3 or 4 is on as well (which has a short release).

Maybe you need a dectector when a note can be switched off. In my simple clips I have only 16th notes and part 1/2 do not produce any sound at all (I cranked my speaker up to the max :-)).

Yes, CPU goes down when stopped or the loop is left.

Nils Schneider wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:58 pm [Imp] Added ability to navigate through presets with cursor keys
does not work in Logic/AU version
does not work in hostingAU (AU version)
does not work as vst within Element or DDMF-Metaplugin (plugin wrapers)

i know that in logic this cursor-thing is always a problem
because it's used for track navigation
but it should work in hostingAU

I found something urgent with regards to Multis and released 1.15 to address this. Some Multis contain an invalid output mode setting for some sections, a value of 3 although only 0,1,2 are allowed (Right, L+R, Left).

The invalid data is part of a couple of Multis on the K1 ROM cards and confuse my K1m, too. The result is weird behavior when adjusting the Output selection setting.
But the K1v crashed when these Multis were loaded. 1.15 fixes it and resets the output of the affected sections to L+R as this is what my K1m does as a fallback, too.
https://k1v.nilsschneider.de - Kawai K1 emulated as VSTi/AU
https://heatvst.com - Android Synthesizer with full VST integration
https://gpuimpulsereverb.de - Use your GPU as reverberation DSP

FrettedSynth wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:11 pm Thanks for the continued work on this project. Lol have to ask is Heat Synth for android yours? Still mess with it when I am out and about, wish I had a full version for windows.
I would like to see Heat synth for mac.
Great sound.

Thanks for all your suggestions :tu: Version 1.16 addresses some of them, highlighted in bold.

* [Fix] Keyboard shortcuts didn't work in Mac AU and Mac & Linux VSTi versions
* [Fix] Wrong Sysex response to "One Block Data Request" if requested preset was
a Multi
* [Fix] Selecting a Multi via Midi program change was off by one
* [Fix] Possible crash if parameters are edited in UI and via Midi at the same time
* [Fix] Do not leave System page when switching between Single and Multi while
System page is opened

* [Accuracy] Improved Midi sysex compability to make K1v work with old Atari ST K1
editors that use undocumented "features"
* [Imp] Knobs can now be reset to default by double-clicking on them
* [Imp] Knobs now properly increment/decrement in single steps when being
operated via mouse wheel

* [Imp] Implemented response to "All block data request" sysex message

Nils Schneider wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:57 pm * [Fix] Keyboard shortcuts didn't work in Mac AU and Mac & Linux VSTi versions
YES! super thanks!
working now in AU version within hostingAU and LogicPro !

:tu:

Totally forgot to say thank you for the keyboard navigation, helps a lot!

Another little usability wish would be to have an "X" right to the search field to clear it.

Nils Schneider wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:57 pm * [Fix] Do not leave System page when switching between Single and Multi while
System page is opened

* [Imp] Knobs can now be reset to default by double-clicking on them
* [Imp] Knobs now properly increment/decrement in single steps when being
operated via mouse wheel
Thank you!!!

Would you mind commenting on the other few things I outlined in that previous post of mine? I'm really curious what are your thoughts on the solo mode key-up retrigger and multiple outputs facility (I am aware that the actual hardware didn't have these things, but a man can dream?). Thanks!

Nils, thank you so much for this plugin. Very generous of you. It works great here on my Win 7 system :tu: Keep up the great work :hug:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:24 am Would you mind commenting on the other few things I outlined in that previous post of mine? I'm really curious what are your thoughts on the solo mode key-up retrigger and multiple outputs facility (I am aware that the actual hardware didn't have these things, but a man can dream?). Thanks!
Of course :) Multiple outputs are definitely something that I'm thinking about for quite some time, I'm just afraid how VST2 hosts can handle if I modify the number of outputs, especially if people have stored projects. I'll have to investigate before I can do that.
What I have in mind:
4 outputs in single mode => every source has its own output.
8 outputs in multi mode => every multi section has its own output.
EvilDragon wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:47 am Solo mode - retriggers envelopes. Would be super nice to have a legato mode that doesn't, even if the original K1 didn't have it.
Indeed, added that to the future improvements list. It would be nice to have Glide then, too. I need to take special care here because users need to be informed clearly that an export/import of Sysex will break settings.
EvilDragon wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:47 am Solo mode under sustain pedal - doesn't retrigger back to previously held keys (so called key-off retrigger). Without sustain pedal it works as should, but IMHO under sustain pedal it should work exactly the same. Play a single key, hold it down, then tap another key staccato to trill it fast. Try the same with and without sustain pedal.
I heared about it several weeks ago already (maybe it was you?) that's why I tested it on my K1m at that time: If you have Solo+Hold, the last pressed key is the one being held. Trilling only works if you don't have Hold enabled.

It's a matter of how you treat Solo mode in general:

Many modern synthesizers do not retrigger but instead, pressing a second key is just a change of the frequency of the voice being played. In that case, releasing the second key causes the frequency to go back to the first key.

For the K1, every new key being pressed is a new voice, stopping the old one. That is also why it retriggers, it can be noticed easily if you play a preset with long attack times. Fun fact: If you do not have Hold enabled and release key B, key A is retriggered with the velocity of key B, not key A. Never understood that, but I implemented it like this to be accurate.

As the K1 sees a second key as a new trigger, it makes sense that the one is being held, as that is what Hold is for.

Changing the behavior here is something that I see as global setting / enhancement, I don't want to break compatibility here. But I noted it and could be done if I implement the retrigger change as you pointed out above.

Nils Schneider wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:25 pm Indeed, added that to the future improvements list. It would be nice to have Glide then, too. I need to take special care here because users need to be informed clearly that an export/import of Sysex will break settings.
Maybe use some kind of a mode switch that needs to be flipped first, like "Enable extensions" or "Enable nonstandard features". That should help distinguish between features which are compatible with Sysex export and which are not.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

Nils Schneider wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:25 pmOf course :) Multiple outputs are definitely something that I'm thinking about for quite some time, I'm just afraid how VST2 hosts can handle if I modify the number of outputs, especially if people have stored projects. I'll have to investigate before I can do that.
What I have in mind:
4 outputs in single mode => every source has its own output.
8 outputs in multi mode => every multi section has its own output.
Great! In addition, if we are to further add "better" features, having panorama per source/part would also be terrific, meaning 8 outs in single, 16 in multi mode.
Nils Schneider wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:25 pmIndeed, added that to the future improvements list. It would be nice to have Glide then, too. I need to take special care here because users need to be informed clearly that an export/import of Sysex will break settings.
Agreed on all accounts!
Nils Schneider wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:25 pmFor the K1, every new key being pressed is a new voice, stopping the old one. That is also why it retriggers, it can be noticed easily if you play a preset with long attack times. Fun fact: If you do not have Hold enabled and release key B, key A is retriggered with the velocity of key B, not key A. Never understood that, but I implemented it like this to be accurate.

As the K1 sees a second key as a new trigger, it makes sense that the one is being held, as that is what Hold is for.

Changing the behavior here is something that I see as global setting / enhancement, I don't want to break compatibility here. But I noted it and could be done if I implement the retrigger change as you pointed out above.
I definitely agree it should be a global option. Although I don't think the voice stopping/retriggering really matters here. One "just" needs to put the incoming note on/offs onto a stack as they're coming in, then you read from the top of the stack after releasing a key (since in 99% of cases we want to have last note priority, really), and do it regardless of sustain pedal being pressed when in solo mode.

But yes, an option for this behavior would be hiiiighly anticipated here :)

(And at that point I should really just donate you some beers!)

It is not a programming issue 🙂 I already have that stack, it is used when in Solo and Hold is off.

Pan is already supported via Midi, when K1v is in Multi mode and each section is set to L+R, you can send Midi CC Pan to adjust freely between left and right output. Needs to have separate channels for each Multi section of course, but it works if really needed.

Oh nice that pan is there already! It's just missing the UI control then. :)

Nils Schneider wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:56 pm It is not a programming issue 🙂 I already have that stack, it is used when in Solo and Hold is off.
Ah! Well in that case that global option would just make the same stack being used even with sustain pedal pressed, then. Brilliant! :)

By the way, I've been listening to a bunch off Kawai K4 demos out there... and man that synth just sounds terrific! I do wonder if you'd want to tackle emulating that one at some point, but it IS more difficult - getting the filter right is probably gonna be the biggest problem, and effects...

snip wrong thread
Last edited by EvilDragon on Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”