Waves V12 is here, now with resizable GUIs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Abbey Road Plugin Collection

Beware, to those who still use old cheese grater mac pros, v 12 is not supported.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Just to chip in, I avoided Waves for a good while because I thought my needs were met by other developers and they had such a bad rep. But I've bought a few now and they are honestly some of my favourites. Ovox and Flow Motion to name but two, are inspirational, quality plug-ins. I don't quite understand the Waves WUP hate but there's a lot on here I don't really 'get'. There's a chap who hates PA with a vengeance too. Froths at the mouth at the mere mention of them. But then I wouldn't touch Steven Slate and his whizz bang subscription model. So each to their own :P

I think a lot of the WUP issues come from an update Waves made to Waves Central around the time going from v9 to v10 where prior versions were affected, but I forget the exact issue though I think the fix was simply to reinstall v9 of Waves Central.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

woodsdenis wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:14 pm Beware, to those who still use old cheese grater mac pros, v 12 is not supported.
Thanks for the heads up! Steinberg* Waves ... I should keep a list. :roll:

*I stopped at 10.12 and want to keep server and can't be bothered switching gpu.

Many of those who are critical of WUP do so because of the cost. When many developers give you ongoing free updates, even major ones, it's a hard pill to swallow if you have a lot of Waves plugins. For example I have most of the analogue modelled stuff of theirs, and their synths and keyboard instruments; WUP would cost me about $260US before discounts. But, that's the way it goes with WUP. So, for me, I stopped buying Waves plugins because I have no intention to feed this policy. I've found better tools with better prices, update and transfer policies. For me, Waves is not a contender anymore.

that lame resizable gui is just a low rez jpg: when zoomed 200% becomes a blurry milkshake of colors!
depressing

Rockatansky wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:41 pm Waves V10 released June 2018. Waves V11 released October 2019. Waves V12 released October 2020. WUP lasts a year, and the new major versions are now released about a year apart. Coincidence?
When I bought in on Waves v9.x 2013 prices started to be very affordable on campaigns. Then since they have gone down even further to reach every user so price is not an issue anymore.

If Gold bundle was $350 when I bought it, it has been down to $99 or so.

Now they have force WUP's on everybody to make money since all potential market is reached. Every wallet size has been handled.

But very happy with plugins as such. A consistent idea with A/B testing, built in help etc. Excellent support.

But now major version updates just about every year one start to wonder a bit?
I dread having to buy windows 10 computer one day, so hope my current will last and can also stay on Waves v9.92. Luckily bought in on everything I wanted back then.

I can see version 13 on the horizon. Close enough, as Apple launch their first Silicon Mac in November. Man, how I dislike WUP ...

If not already discussed, let's also talk about the cheapest ways we can upgrade our plugins and bundles to V12. Assuming the need and interest, of course. Those who want to will be benefited. :)

I have quite a few single plugins under WUP, which I can update straight away to V12 once things look good, probably next month. Gold + RenMaxx bundle + some other plugins would need WUP and there needs to be a better and cheaper way to V12.

EDIT: Confirmed the following with Waves, it will NOT work. For Updates, you need to go for WUP. For Upgrades, you need to move to a larger bundle. Obvious thing, but just thought I had confirm this and mention here for everyone's information.
Wondering if purchasing Gold + RenMaxx Upgrade (again) for cheap will work? This upgrade is normally for Gold bundles, but it maybe a possibility to get 50+ plugins to V12 at once for cheap.

https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products/au ... grade-gold

Only $30 in cart at AudioDeluxe with code FALL2020 and CREATE40. Looks tempting if does work!

I did work when I upgraded my Gold V10 to Gold+RenMaxx V11.
Last edited by LoveEnigma18 on Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

plexuss wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:46 am Many of those who are critical of WUP do so because of the cost. When many developers give you ongoing free updates, even major ones, it's a hard pill to swallow if you have a lot of Waves plugins. For example I have most of the analogue modelled stuff of theirs, and their synths and keyboard instruments; WUP would cost me about $260US before discounts. But, that's the way it goes with WUP. So, for me, I stopped buying Waves plugins because I have no intention to feed this policy. I've found better tools with better prices, update and transfer policies. For me, Waves is not a contender anymore.
Something worth mentioning... you get a year of free updates with every new purchase. Of course they hardly release that many updates, so it's not much that's being missed. A number of companies offer a year or version number worth of updates. Steinberg, charges for incremental updates within the same version number... Cubase 10.00, Cubase 10.5, Cubase 10.6. etc. By the time they release the next version, you've paid for the program numerous times. Then they have different upgrade prices based on the incremental update versions... $199.99 from version 9.0, $159.99 from 9.5, $59.99 from 10.0.

Wup is an option not a necessity in a broad number of cases. Your plugins don't cease to work if you don't upgrade to the next version.

We all would have expected this but it's still annoying to see it happen. We are all being forced into a "new version" for a lazy, half-effort GUI feature (that many other devs already offer since years ago) that are "retina ready" but look upscaled and overly blurry.

Now I have to look into what they did to the installer. Will it continue to service my V10 plugins or do I need to jump through hoops to maintain those that were purchased like 2 years ago. Will my V11 from last year continue to receive basic bug fixes or is that something else I need to pay for now.

I'll be watching to see how Waves handle themselves, but I can tell you, since v11 it was already a high standard for me to even consider buying a Waves plugin because of WUP. Now that we know for sure the cycles are going to be yearly from now on, they have once again raised even higher the amount of amazingness they have to put into a new plugin before I'm interested in giving them even $15 again. I'm not looking forward to getting nagged every year to pay for a BS "upgrade" that adds next to nothing, while they withhold basic support and bug fixes, hold the licenses for ransom if I want to resell them, and make the installation difficult on purpose to try to annoy me into paying.

As long they sound the same I don‘t wup. Its easy as that... Mostly I could find an upgrade which is cheaper than to wup if I wanted to... The regular free plugins are accounted for those upgrades, as those bought with crazy sales prices as well...
Wup got cheaper as well in all those years... Its made for milking those who make real money with their productions, amateur KVR posters who complain about it do benefit from it that way as well, even if they are not capable of judging the value of a plugin... If you can‘t control your GAS, you‘ll spend the same money anyway no matter if its for wup or other unused plug collections...

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:45 pm I guess IK plugins also don't look good when maximized. Guess it's the same thing here?
What makes you think so? Pretty sure TR5 is all vectorized... what else of their stuff is resizeable? Amplitube isn't.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:57 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:45 pm I guess IK plugins also don't look good when maximized. Guess it's the same thing here?
What makes you think so? Pretty sure TR5 is all vectorized... what else of their stuff is resizeable? Amplitube isn't.
I should have been more precise, I meant to say T-RackS plugins. Anyway, I am not into IK, so sorry for not being clear and for probably being wrong with my observation.

As for Waves V12, I will upgrade one of my plugins already under WUP and see if everything is fine (especially the GUI part) and if it's worth upgrading all.

I have a strange problem updatinfrom v11 to v12.
Waves Central keeps saying the "installation failed please restart or contact support" message.
I tried ed all the things Waves suggests in the suport page.
I still get the same error message once the process arrives at 90%.
If I open Cubase 10.5 the plug ins are installed, updated to v12 and working.
In Waves Central they are still listed as activated but not installed.
I am very disappointed.
I wrote to the Customer Service and I am waiting for a reply.

Return to “Effects”