Waves V12 is here, now with resizable GUIs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Abbey Road Plugin Collection

Is there any evidence that a lower resolution harms the eyes? I mean I should be pretty much blind by now considering my first computer output at 320x200 pixels.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:13 am Is there any evidence that a lower resolution harms the eyes? I mean I should be pretty much blind by now considering my first computer output at 320x200 pixels.
640x480 here (well, not any more, but that was my first) :D

I find that squinting and trying to focus my eyes on small details causes eye pain as it strains the muscles that contract the lens. I'm sure looking at blurry or out-of-focus images does something similar as the eye will probably try and focus causing more muscle strain.

Either way, small things bad! Large, sharp images good.

I am not an opthalmologist!
A bit fried in the higher freqs

AdvancedFollower wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:13 am Is there any evidence that a lower resolution harms the eyes? I mean I should be pretty much blind by now considering my first computer output at 320x200 pixels.
Very often you can read that blurred text is causing eye strain in articles about working with computer screens and eye health.
https://iristech.co/11-ways-we-strain-our-eyes/

I'm too lazy to look for scholar articles ;)
But based on real life experience:
Me and anyone that I know who have to spend minimum 8h per day in front of computer screen agreed that low res / blurry / low quality screens are causing eye strain (sore eye, dry eye) and very often headaches. It's both quality of the screen (blue light, resolution etc.) and images itself.
It took me years (or I just simply became old :P) to realize that very often after working on mediocre screens, I felt more tired than I should.
Somehow I don't feel that bad when I work on my own screen (not the best but better than the cheap crap that companies are buying for anyone except graphic designers).

When you have sharp and blurry text next to each other your eye need to constantly adopt. As you can imagine, eye and brain requires additional job to be done. In case if you work in DAW where everything is good looking and then your eye is constantly jumping from sharp text to blurry text, you can imagine that eye need to adopt very frequently.
——————
After all there's so many developers allowing for good quality resize option of their plugins. Why should we bend knees and pretend that crappy blurry resize option is ok? It's not. By acting like that we're giving green light to developers that they can give us half backed cake for price of finished product and call it a day.

Gretsch Stretch wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:02 pm This all seems a bit hyper-critical, I did the update and I'm very pleased with being able to bang them up a couple of sizes. Yes there is a slight loss of definition but you're hardly throwing yourself to the floor clutching at your eyeballs. Use the plugin for 10 minutes and you stop noticing it.

How on earth did people get anything done 15 years ago when all resolutions were crappy?
what a silly notion.
such a boomer argument: "we were fine drinking lead based drinks and being beaten, so why should anyone have any better?"

People got shit done on crappy DATs, that doesn't mean contemporary DAWs aren't better.

It's one of the leading plugin companies, and their interfaces are among the absolute worse. They have resources to make it better. "Shit was worse 15y ago" is a dumb excuse.

Ploki wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:20 am
Gretsch Stretch wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:02 pm This all seems a bit hyper-critical, I did the update and I'm very pleased with being able to bang them up a couple of sizes. Yes there is a slight loss of definition but you're hardly throwing yourself to the floor clutching at your eyeballs. Use the plugin for 10 minutes and you stop noticing it.

How on earth did people get anything done 15 years ago when all resolutions were crappy?
what a silly notion.
such a boomer argument: "we were fine drinking lead based drinks and being beaten, so why should anyone have any better?"

People got shit done on crappy DATs, that doesn't mean contemporary DAWs aren't better.

It's one of the leading plugin companies, and their interfaces are among the absolute worse. They have resources to make it better. "Shit was worse 15y ago" is a dumb excuse.
Yeah mate, that's exactly what I said.

I reckon getting yourself some perspective should probably be above worrying about your eyesight.

What I think has happened here, concerning the graphics is most of their plugins were designed a long time ago without larger scale monitors in mind. I'm thinking all they could do was use a graphical enlarging algorithm non their old graphics just to get the resizing out there.

I'm willing to bet this is just a temporary measure until they go back and do that now graphic refresh most people have been asking for. Give it some time I say, the have A LOT of plugins to get through.

simon.a.billington wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:57 am What I think has happened here, concerning the graphics is most of their plugins were designed a long time ago without larger scale monitors in mind. I'm thinking all they could do was use a graphical enlarging algorithm non their old graphics just to get the resizing out there.
Very likely, but... the same crappiness applies to their newer plugins too, and there's no excuse for that. If they wanted to, they could've built in a quick upscaler in to the plugin and do the resizing dynamically... that would at least been a reasonable solution until they did it properly.
simon.a.billington wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:57 am Give it some time I say, the have A LOT of plugins to get through.
They've had a few years, how much more do they need? Seriously, if I was the boss of Waves, I would be very embarrassed by this, it was a 5 minute hack-job at best.

cprompt wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:12 pm
simon.a.billington wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:57 am What I think has happened here, concerning the graphics is most of their plugins were designed a long time ago without larger scale monitors in mind. I'm thinking all they could do was use a graphical enlarging algorithm non their old graphics just to get the resizing out there.
Very likely, but... the same crappiness applies to their newer plugins too, and there's no excuse for that. If they wanted to, they could've built in a quick upscaler in to the plugin and do the resizing dynamically... that would at least been a reasonable solution until they did it properly.
simon.a.billington wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:57 am Give it some time I say, the have A LOT of plugins to get through.
They've had a few years, how much more do they need? Seriously, if I was the boss of Waves, I would be very embarrassed by this, it was a 5 minute hack-job at best.
Yrsh totally agree with you on the first point.

On the second point, Waves, like a few other devs were resisting scalable UIs for the longest time. They were so adamant about not doing it. I guess they realised their mistake along the way, but it also means that it was a sudden change of heart, so its just a new thing they just started implementing.

They may have had a few years, but its something they just decided to cater for now. Otherwise we could have been it as early as Version 10 and we'd be seeing high-res graphics by now.

Gretsch Stretch wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:07 am
Yeah mate, that's exactly what I said.

I reckon getting yourself some perspective should probably be above worrying about your eyesight.
it's not about my eyesight. It's about a leading plugin company with a fuckload of money not doing basic housekeeping while smaller boutique developers have been doing it for years.

I'm willing to bet this is just a temporary measure until they go back and do that now graphic refresh most people have been asking for. Give it some time I say, the have A LOT of plugins to get through.
Temporary measure? Retina macs have been around for almost a decade.HiDPI for windows at least half that.

And the recently released Waves stuff is NOT retina ready either. You don't have to go back and do graphics refresh for new shit released way after HiDPI and large monitors were a thing, give me a break.

Also, you don't f**king CHARGE for a "temporary measure".
Especially if you're gonna charge again for V13 "real measure" in about a year.

My god, why do you people act so apologetic for huge companies instead of calling them out for their BS?

Ploki wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:15 pm Temporary measure? Retina macs have been around for almost a decade.HiDPI for windows at least half that.

And the recently released Waves stuff is NOT retina ready either. You don't have to go back and do graphics refresh for new shit released way after HiDPI and large monitors were a thing, give me a break.

Also, you don't f**king CHARGE for a "temporary measure".
Especially if you're gonna charge again for V13 "real measure" in about a year.

My god, why do you people act so apologetic for huge companies instead of calling them out for their BS?
I agree. Waves released new graphic design for they R bundle a year ago, I guess it's also not scalable design?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d-7sYuAgVI

"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

simon.a.billington wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:35 pmOn the second point, Waves, like a few other devs were resisting scalable UIs for the longest time.
Well, more fool them I guess. What was their thinking behind that decision? "Oh these new higher-resolution monitors will never catch on"!
simon.a.billington wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:35 pmThey may have had a few years, but its something they just decided to cater for now.
They could've taken another year and done the job properly!

Don't be an apologist for Waves, Simon. They've screwed up badly here and if they intend to fix this mess by introducing V13 in a year's time, then it can only be seen as a cash grab. These are features that should've been introduced in V11 at the latest.

I have, I just counted, 44 Waves plugins, and I genuinely like them. I don't use a lot of them often but when I do, I'm very pleased with them. But there's a part of me that makes me wonder if Waves thinks we're all idiots, like it's 1998 again or something. Their aggressive marketing strategy doesn't help their cause: "40% with coupon X, only 2 days left". Two days later, "40% off with coupon Y, this weekend only". And guess what, the 40% off price is the same as the price BEFORE the sale. Yup, they think we're idiots.

There's years old freeware plug-ins that have good scaleable GUIS, no excuse for a commercial product.

Waves have have neglected this area badly, even the renaissance updates leave a lot to be desired, a poor effort from a one time market leader.
I would like to have the choice of formats to install, various instances merged into one and mono/stereo versions combined

Now we can pick and choose the devs we support, brand loyalty and satisfaction goes along way with my preferences.
Never had any issues with their offerings, reliable and usually good on the CPU.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

simon.a.billington wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:57 am I'm willing to bet this is just a temporary measure until they go back and do that now graphic refresh most people have been asking for. Give it some time I say, the have A LOT of plugins to get through.
So, Waves does a lazy minimal effort so they have something to charge for now, and then do an actual decent job so they have something to charge for in 12 months?

That does sound like Waves.

simon.a.billington wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:57 am I'm willing to bet this is just a temporary measure until they go back and do that now graphic refresh most people have been asking for. Give it some time I say, the have A LOT of plugins to get through.
In Waves 13.

Return to “Effects”