Realphones by dSONIQ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

dSONIQ wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:29 am Hello! I hope that is OK for developer to reply in this thread.
Hello, it's awesome that you are responding here, please do so, thank you!

dSONIQ wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:29 am
dionenoid wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:37 pm Even loads Sonarworks and Morphit profiles. Nice.

Slate VSX is 500 bucks including headphone, everybody is raving about that one but there's unfortunately no way to demo it.

If Realphones works well with my existing headphones it would be nice. They already announced that they'll add more room simulations. Time to demo i guess.
Hello! I hope that is OK for developer to reply in this thread.
Realphones does not load Sonarworks and ToneBoosters profiles. It has matching Recalibrate profiles which let you to use Reference or Morphit software together with Realphones. This feature is available in Realphones Pro and Ultimate editions.
Hello, very nice to reply here, at least I appreciate it! This is something I wanted to examine in more detail... how can RealPhones "compensate" Morph-it considering that its correction curve depends on the chosen headphone?
Or does it apply a default correction, to which it adds its headphone model, and you just compensate the default one?

Thanks,
Mario

SirkusPi wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:15 pm
mabian wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:39 pm ... I swear I had a few moments I thought I was hearing the sound from my speakers. I wasn't :O.
After getting used to its sound, you figure out that when bypassing it the sound goes inside your head, while with it turned on the sound seem to jump in front of you, outside your head. And this also reduces ear fatigue, provided you don't work at excessive sound pressure. ...
I'm not personally getting that "in front of me" feeling - it still sounds "in my head" to me. But the sound does feel a lot more spacious and enjoyable. Given the very reasonable deal going on right now (including the coupon on top of the discount), I think I'm going to purchase it, as recreational listening on headphones alone makes it worthwhile to me.

In addition, I'm hopeful that the improved spaciousness and other adjustments will translate to better mixes too. As a pure hobbyist (as opposed to pro) with a few years' experience who is interested in trying to get good mixes, but who has a completely untreated room (which is not going to change), I think this would be a good first step into the realm of headphone-correction technology, especially as it has profiles for both of my "decent but not spectacular" headphones.

(And if I really like it, maybe I'll take the next step into Slate's VSX at some point. Given Realphones' sale price is pretty much literally 1/10th the price of VSX, it seems a prudent first step. I know VSX is probably "better," including better underlying physical headphones, but hopefully this will be enough to make a difference.)
There is no guarantee, that you get "in front of you" feeling when using Realphones. It depends much on headphone type, personal perception and on the coincidence of your personal HRTF with the generic HRTF in Realphones.

The aim of Realphones is to reduce mistakes which are caused by headphone reproduction. The root causes of these errors are compensated by the processing of Realphones

mabian wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:31 am
dSONIQ wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:29 am
dionenoid wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:37 pm Even loads Sonarworks and Morphit profiles. Nice.

Slate VSX is 500 bucks including headphone, everybody is raving about that one but there's unfortunately no way to demo it.

If Realphones works well with my existing headphones it would be nice. They already announced that they'll add more room simulations. Time to demo i guess.
Hello! I hope that is OK for developer to reply in this thread.
Realphones does not load Sonarworks and ToneBoosters profiles. It has matching Recalibrate profiles which let you to use Reference or Morphit software together with Realphones. This feature is available in Realphones Pro and Ultimate editions.
Hello, very nice to reply here, at least I appreciate it! This is something I wanted to examine in more detail... how can RealPhones "compensate" Morph-it considering that its correction curve depends on the chosen headphone?
Or does it apply a default correction, to which it adds its headphone model, and you just compensate the default one?

Thanks,
Mario
Morphit Recalibration matches response of all Morphit corrections to Realphones reference. Each vendor sets up his own reference.

dSONIQ wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:28 am Morphit Recalibration matches response of all Morphit corrections to Realphones reference. Each vendor sets up his own reference.
Maybe I'm thick, maybe my english is poor, but I don't get it... once you set a headphone model in Morph-It, why is another correction needed by Realphones (shouldn't it use the signal with frequency correction performed in Morph-it and just apply its speaker and room emulation)?

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to purchase soon, but I don't really seem to understand this recalibration thing (considering it "takes" a place as one of the possible 3 headphone profiles you can choose for Pro Pack... )

- Mario

mabian wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:21 pm
dSONIQ wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:28 am Morphit Recalibration matches response of all Morphit corrections to Realphones reference. Each vendor sets up his own reference.
Maybe I'm thick, maybe my english is poor, but I don't get it... once you set a headphone model in Morph-It, why is another correction needed by Realphones (shouldn't it use the signal with frequency correction performed in Morph-it and just apply its speaker and room emulation)?

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to purchase soon, but I don't really seem to understand this recalibration thing (considering it "takes" a place as one of the possible 3 headphone profiles you can choose for Pro Pack... )

- Mario
The main question is "what is flat actually"?
Do you need to bypass body reflections, ear reflections, ear crossfeed combo filtering when you set the reference for flat sound? Do you need to put body vibrations into the formula?

Each vendor sets up his own reference response. It is not equal across the industry. If you want to match Morphit calibration with Realphones reference, you need use our recalibration profile in Realphones. Realphones room emulation is based on Realphones reference (not other vendors which do not match each other).

In combination with Realphones recalibration curves you get response loser to which was measured in actual room.

dSONIQ wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:14 pm
mabian wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:21 pm

- Mario
The main question is "what is flat actually"?
Do you need to bypass body reflections, ear reflections, ear crossfeed combo filtering when you set the reference for flat sound? Do you need to put body vibrations into the formula?

Each vendor sets up his own reference response. It is not equal across the industry. If you want to match Morphit calibration with Realphones reference, you need use our recalibration profile in Realphones. Realphones room emulation is based on Realphones reference (not other vendors which do not match each other).

In combination with Realphones recalibration curves you get response loser to which was measured in actual room.
Thank you for your patience.
I thought Morph-It only did frequency curve compensation, nothing else, no crossfeed and no ear/room/body reflections, just making the headphone able to be completely "flat" in frequency.
This is why I thought recalibrating from it would not be needed or anyway was easy.
I seem to understand that it's not so trivial and Realphones needs to apply a sort of reverse calibration so that the joint operation of the two plugins (like Realphones + Sonarworks Reference) results in the most accurate and clean simulation, taking the best of the two worlds.
That said, I think I'll stay away from this calibration game, much preferring the direct headphone + Realphones combo.

- Mario

Reverse calibration (good name) is needed, when you get headphones, which are not supported in Realphones but supported in other software and already get licence for this software.

Purchased! Even I consider Slate VSX later. Needed something immediately for my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm, AKG 240 Studio and last but not least Sennheiser HD800. I don't get the stage in front of me. Still in my head. HRTF? Something wrong with my head? :D

However: Less ear fatigue over time with dSONIQ Realphones. It's definitely more relaxing for me. Plus I here things better and more precise. In a way my previous headphones monitoring software endeavors didn't. :phones:

I wanted to clarify: I found that I don't exactly hear everything in front, rather a sharp impression of the sound popping out of the center of my head towards the place where my speakers are (30° left and right).
The "in front" feeling is stronger enabling the "one speaker" button.

And, disabling RealPhones, the sound instantly comes back inside my head, almost a bit annoying sensation.

I can definitely hear the difference, and I agree it's much less fatiguing.

Bought yesterday :)

- Mario

any chance of extending the intro period?? Also what is your license transfer policy??
How many computers can I run on a license??

After a couple of days of usage i think this might be the best plugin purchase of the year for me... although i haven't done a whole mix with it and so i cannot confidently say that realphones will make my mixes better (it can’t fix my lack of skills, sadly...), it makes working with headphones feel much better and there’s not as much difference when i switch between headphones and speakers.

For all who demo this, I fully recommend that you follow the manual for the initial set up, especially the section “Setting the parameters” in order to adapt the included correction curve to your own cans. Doesn’t take long, I eventually didn’t stray much from the recommended starting preset, but the headphone sound does feel more balanced now. Be sure to do that not with your own material but with a reference track that you know well.

ElevateAudio wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:36 am any chance of extending the intro period?? Also what is your license transfer policy??
How many computers can I run on a license??
I don't know about the first two questions, but about number of computers the faq says you can install it on up to three computers.

- Mario

This software has given my Sony 7506's new life!

Etienne1973 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:48 pm Purchased! Even I consider Slate VSX later. Needed something immediately for my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm, AKG 240 Studio and last but not least Sennheiser HD800. I don't get the stage in front of me. Still in my head. HRTF? Something wrong with my head? :D

However: Less ear fatigue over time with dSONIQ Realphones. It's definitely more relaxing for me. Plus I here things better and more precise. In a way my previous headphones monitoring software endeavors didn't. :phones:
"In front of me" impression is not easy to reproduce. Not all headphones reproduce it and not all people can get it with our generic HRTF. And this is not main goal for Realphones.

The main goal is to increase translation of mixes and confidence in setting levels, dynamics, EQ, panning and effects. This is more important and Realphones was
optimised for this task.

Return to “Effects”