UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Mounting Akai Images was a great thing within Mach Five 3 , this has not go to Falcon , i had liked to see . That is one reason why i still use Mach Five 3 .

zvenx wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:32 am Because we live in a real world with real world limitations (only X developers, with Y amount of R&D time available).

UVI said Basic EXS file format support.
They said above why it is in its current state.

For them to spend way more hours trying to reverse engineer this when they can be working on other features for Falcon, for me personally is not optimal.

Most likely for you, you prefer them doing that, I don't.

Maybe you need to consider checking out, http://www.chickensys.com/products2/tra ... rmats.html

Or maybe you can encourage UVI to (like I know NI used to do) license Translator stuff from Garth into Falcon.

rsp
So, MOTU used to license from UVI what is now Falcon, branded as MachFive. MachFive supported multiple file formats, it's possible it was a Chicken Systems license who knows? but it had this function built in.

EXS is basic, that's the point, it's a super straightforward file format found in almost every list for almost every sample library developer for the last 20 years. What you do not find is UVI file format support.

As someone who owned MachFive3 I've effectively bought the same base code twice, and I'm losing functionality here, and to me the sampler part of Falcon is still my main interest, I get that it takes time, but I appreciated that Falcon could import EXS, and MachFive was advertised as importing EXS, Falcon was as well. Your suggestion that I spend another $150 on functions that are being lost in a product I've loyally followed from one company to another, well I'm pretty certain that I can rightfully say it's you who are being selfish here.

Well good luck in your quest that it improves in Falcon.

rsp
sound sculptist

otristan wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:07 am The thing with EXS is that the format is not open so you have to support it by reverse engineering and it's clearly not an easy task. Retrieve the full format specification with Apple and I will gladly fixes all those stuff :)
I'm happy that Falcon can interpret EXS mapping correctly. But Falcon 2.1.0 (Mac) seems to have a problem to open EXS-patches' audio files named with >27 characters. I can clearly reproduce it here. I've ran several Auto Sampler (Logic 10.5.1 + MainStage 3.4.4) sessions this weekend. Can this be fixed?

Send me an EXS file example (wetransfer in PM) and I'll see what I can do.
EXS format is not crystal clear though has there has been multiple evolution and I'm having a hard time understand its intricacy
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

otristan wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:42 am Send me an EXS file example (wetransfer in PM) and I'll see what I can do.
EXS format is not crystal clear though has there has been multiple evolution and I'm having a hard time understand its intricacy
Thank you for helping.

I have to say as a dev myself that reverse engineering someone else's code is my idea of hell

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

If ignorance is bliss, I'm a happy idiot: I was thrilled to find that Falcon supports the import of the Machfive 3 library. And some of the MF3 patches are now my favorite sounds in Falcon (especially some of the guitar/pluck presets). Now, I'm not an engineer or a programmer, so I don't go that deep into file structure, etc. I just tweak presets with some limited effects (the usual ch/del/rev) and maybe some ADSR. That's it. And having MF3 right there in Falcon is so easy. LIterally thousands of great sounds at my fingertips. What's not to like?

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:05 pm I have to say as a dev myself that reverse engineering someone else's code is my idea of hell
Apple IMO should be pushing the format, helping companies like UVI to work with it. Since at this point you can only create EXS patches on their platform. Even if that wasn't the case, it's like REX files, when they were popular how many people bought a copy of Reason because of that? There are benefits to owning a format, Cubase may have 10-20% sales on top of what they could normally pull in, being the developers of VST.

BERFAB wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:18 pm If ignorance is bliss, I'm a happy idiot: I was thrilled to find that Falcon supports the import of the Machfive 3 library. And some of the MF3 patches are now my favorite sounds in Falcon (especially some of the guitar/pluck presets). Now, I'm not an engineer or a programmer, so I don't go that deep into file structure, etc. I just tweak presets with some limited effects (the usual ch/del/rev) and maybe some ADSR. That's it. And having MF3 right there in Falcon is so easy. LIterally thousands of great sounds at my fingertips. What's not to like?

Cheers
-B
MachFive was a joint venture between MOTU and UVI. I think it's safe to say the divorce was amicable, DP10 comes with UVI player libraries etc. There should be no real issues with M53 libraries at all, mostly it seems that MOTU were probably leasing someone like Chicken Systems tech to convert multiple sound libraries to M53, so therein lies the issues with UVI having to reverse engineer .nki , .exs, and not supporting AKAI etc. etc. It's the only difference between the two in terms of M53 having any edge at all.

All this to say, yeah, Falcon is literally MachFive 5, probably better than what would have happened with a joint venture, barring sample import functions. There's hardly any "importing" to do from M53 to Falcon, same developers more or less, so yeah I never thought of selling M53, since the library was pretty dammed good. :)

Here's a curious question: is it possible via scripting to bypass the keygroup/layer/program hierarchy in order to trigger e.g. a filter envelope at the layer or program level by midi note input?

I can see the logic of the architecture being as it is, it's a clean set of rules, but it seems to waste some of the potential of the excellent filters, which respond very differently over multiple notes, i.e. at the layer/program level than they do over individual notes. Currently one has to use automation or a multi-envelope synced to song to control the filters at this level, but in many instances being triggered by midi note would be preferable.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

Hi
Just picked up Falcon and was trying to link a filter cutoff knob to Amp velocity in a ocillator.
I right clicked on the filter cutoff knob but don't see a link to velocity any where.
Thanks for any help with this . . . :)

ljpro1 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:21 am Hi
Just picked up Falcon and was trying to link a filter cutoff knob to Amp velocity in a ocillator.
I right clicked on the filter cutoff knob but don't see a link to velocity any where.
Thanks for any help with this . . . :)

It has to be at the keygroup level in order for that option to be available.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

Awesome . . . Thanks ! . . . :)

machinesworking wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:09 pm So, MOTU used to license from UVI what is now Falcon, branded as MachFive. MachFive supported multiple file formats, it's possible it was a Chicken Systems license who knows? but it had this function built in.

EXS is basic, that's the point, it's a super straightforward file format found in almost every list for almost every sample library developer for the last 20 years. What you do not find is UVI file format support.

As someone who owned MachFive3 I've effectively bought the same base code twice, and I'm losing functionality here, and to me the sampler part of Falcon is still my main interest, I get that it takes time, but I appreciated that Falcon could import EXS, and MachFive was advertised as importing EXS, Falcon was as well. Your suggestion that I spend another $150 on functions that are being lost in a product I've loyally followed from one company to another, well I'm pretty certain that I can rightfully say it's you who are being selfish here.
Blame no EXS on
1) Apple (They bought the EXS format and have kept it closed)
2) Closed systems. As musicians, I am still so sad to see the disregard to open standards
-------------------
Bitwig is my DAWs and UHe and Tracktion Synths are my Bae. I maybe buy one synth a year. REMEMBER SELF just one synth a year!

Return to “Instruments”