Studio One 5 Available Now (5.3 Out June 29th, 2021)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

pdxindy wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:05 am If Studio One adds MPE editing like Bitwig, that would make it a temptation for me.
In this post viewtopic.php?p=7902114#p7902114, it is described how Studio One has implemented MPE editing. The MPE editing capabilities are rudimentary, and apparently they only work with VST2 instruments that support MPE; no VST3 right now.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

BONES wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:58 am So pitch bend, then. It's already there.
No, that's different. Bitwig has polyphonic pitchbend and per-note tuning. You can bend each note in a chord differently. Each note has its own individual automation for this. It's analogous to polyphonic aftertouch. It only works on Bitwig's native instruments, not VSTs. I honestly can't see a use for it.

teilo wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:48 am
No, that's different. Bitwig has polyphonic pitchbend and per-note tuning. You can bend each note in a chord differently. Each note has its own individual automation for this. It's analogous to polyphonic aftertouch. It only works on Bitwig's native instruments, not VSTs. I honestly can't see a use for it.
It also works on VST's that support MPE (dozens do now)... not just Bitwig instruments.

Little question if I may, is there a way to always make Studio One open the piano roll in a separate window? It seems to remember my setting until I restart the app, and then double click opens the piano roll docked and I need to Ctrl+F2 to go back to a separate window.

Thanks heaps!

P.S.: I'm really impressed with 5.1 (currently on demo), I especially was always hoping for that second ruler to show the song time in addition to bars and beats. It also seems extremely solid on my system with zero crashes or issues so far.

fgimian wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:49 am Little question if I may, is there a way to always make Studio One open the piano roll in a separate window? It seems to remember my setting until I restart the app, and then double click opens the piano roll docked and I need to Ctrl+F2 to go back to a separate window.
Hmmm, you´re right... perhaps it´s a bug as I think to remember it was saved undocked before in a song file but I am not sure though...

EDIT: Just noticed that if you save the song with the undocked Editor open, it recalls it when opening the song again... but when you save it with the undocked Editor closed it opens it docked again after loading the song again... weird...

Trancit wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:13 am
fgimian wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:49 am Little question if I may, is there a way to always make Studio One open the piano roll in a separate window? It seems to remember my setting until I restart the app, and then double click opens the piano roll docked and I need to Ctrl+F2 to go back to a separate window.
Hmmm, you´re right... perhaps it´s a bug as I think to remember it was saved undocked before in a song file but I am not sure though...

EDIT: Just noticed that if you save the song with the undocked Editor open, it recalls it when opening the song again... but when you save it with the undocked Editor closed it opens it docked again after loading the song again... weird...
Yea that's what I noticed too. This doesn't happen for the mixer though. So perhaps it is indeed a bug. :(

fgimian wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:10 am ... So perhaps it is indeed a bug. :(
At least a quite inconsistent behaviour...

pdxindy wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:01 am
It also works on VST's that support MPE (dozens do now)... not just Bitwig instruments.
Hmm. So what am I thinking of then? Micropitch control?

teilo wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:28 pm
Micropitch control also works with VST's... what doesn't work with VST's is per voice modulation using the Bitwig modulators...

pdxindy wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:36 pm
teilo wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:28 pm
Micropitch control also works with VST's... what doesn't work with VST's is per voice modulation using the Bitwig modulators...
...which you can get around by putting few instances of the VST in Instrument Selector in round-robin mode ;)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

teilo wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:48 amNo, that's different. Bitwig has polyphonic pitchbend and per-note tuning... I honestly can't see a use for it.
Exactly! No point in a feature that has no use-case. That said, I can actually think of a use or two but it's as easily achieved with two instances of the instrument.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:56 am
teilo wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:48 amNo, that's different. Bitwig has polyphonic pitchbend and per-note tuning... I honestly can't see a use for it.
Exactly! No point in a feature that has no use-case. That said, I can actually think of a use or two but it's as easily achieved with two instances of the instrument.
Just because it has no use-case for you doesn't mean it has no use-case for others.

I regularly do stuff like play a G chord and slide it up to an Am... needs MPE to do that. Even just a straight slide from one major chord to another has a pleasing subtle variation cause the fingers are never in perfect sync like using a pitch wheel to do it. Sometimes I may slide from a C to a D but let one finger lag behind on purpose... Such nuances can sound lovely, just like similar techniques guitar players use. MPE is awesome!

And in Bitwig it is easy to edit cause each note displays its own pitch slide data and it is in semitones (not some 1-100 scale or other such).

I'm paying attention to the MPE implementation in Studio One. If they implement a similar editing to Bitwig, I'll likely buy Studio One at that point.

pdxindy wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:27 amJust because it has no use-case for you doesn't mean it has no use-case for others. I regularly do stuff like play a G chord and slide it up to an Am... needs MPE to do that. Even just a straight slide from one major chord to another has a pleasing subtle variation cause the fingers are never in perfect sync like using a pitch wheel to do it. Sometimes I may slide from a C to a D but let one finger lag behind on purpose... Such nuances can sound lovely, just like similar techniques guitar players use. MPE is awesome!
You say "awesome", I say boring and pointless. If Dog had wanted people to play sloppily, He wouldn't have created Quantise, would He? And don't get me started on the playing of chords, which to my mind should be a mortal sin, punishable by death.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Finally something we can all agree on.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:45 am Finally something we can all agree on.
"Death"?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”