Why did you leave Studio One?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

antic604 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:42 pm
tooneba wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:14 pmIt is a simple question but what is linear DAW?
It's about how one STARTS a song. Clip launchers (Live, Bitwig, etc.) encourage building loose library of loops, sequences, riffs, one shots that you can then mix & match however you want irrespective of time but always in sync; to come up with an arrangement. Once you do, it obviously gets linear like in any other DAW - you just drag the clips & scenes to linear arrangement, or perform a rough version with Push, Launchpad, etc.

Linear DAWs tend to structure your process already in some manner, because very early on you have to commit to certain order of things. Obviously it's not set in stone, you can always move things around. And you can never touch a clip launcher in Live or Bitwig, either.
That's why they have Scratch Pad imo. You can use them to loosely create ideas and move them into your arrangement when ready. I've started to use them more often lately and it's really helped add spontaneity to my arrangements. It's not as easy as just launching a clip to see if it works but still very useful.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

I find that an unnecessary complication to the process. It's too easy to use the main sequencer as a scratch-pad, it just takes a modicum of creative thinking.
apoclypse wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:53 amThis statement make no sense imo. For one Logic is rock solid now.
The key word is "now". Apple have owned Logic for how long? 15 years? Longer, probably. So why hasn't it always been rock solid if the developers have access to the OS code-base? It's utterly inexcusable.
Both non-issues on Macs.
Also non-issues to PC users, who build their systems accordingly.
I don't have to worry about hi-dpi settings and some plugins not displaying properly and I never have to worry that I can't have multiple DAWs open at a time which I do all the time.
Neither does anyone who knows how to use a computer. I never have display issue because I have a display suited to the work I do. I regularly have Cubase or Orion open at the same time as Studio One, along with Zune and/or Ocen Audio or Audition, whilst also being able to hear sounds from my browser and sound from a standalone synth like Equator, and it all just works. Orion will try and hog everything to itself if I let it use the main I/O driver but as long as its on ASIO4all, everything plays nicely together.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

apoclypse wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:53 am
BONES wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:10 am It seems to me the problem isn't the applications so much as the platform you run them on. If Apple can't make stable software for its own OS, then what hope is there? As I said above, I've had one crash in 3 months, but I didn't lose any work, and that was during my learning stage when I wasn't using it very well.

This statement make no sense imo. For one Logic is rock solid now. Secondly other software like Ableton/Bitwig run great with no major issues on Macs. S1 has been buggy on the Mac platform since release but now it's gotten ridiculous.
That's your personaal experience, right? Live has so many reports of macbook pro GUI lag/GPU hot issue in their centercode. You can't pretend it didn't happen.

apoclypse wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:59 amThat's why they have Scratch Pad imo. You can use them to loosely create ideas and move them into your arrangement when ready. I've started to use them more often lately and it's really helped add spontaneity to my arrangements. It's not as easy as just launching a clip to see if it works but still very useful.
Yeah, that was one of the main draws for me initially. But I think the idea remains underdeveloped, being relegated to just what the name implies - a scratch pad to experiment with stuff without risking destroying things in the main timeline. I'd love it to evolve to something like Reason's block mode, so that you could build your song by just referencing to loops from Scratch Pads, if you wanted.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

BONES wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:56 am I find that an unnecessary complication to the process. It's too easy to use the main sequencer as a scratch-pad, it just takes a modicum of creative thinking.
apoclypse wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:53 amThis statement make no sense imo. For one Logic is rock solid now.
The key word is "now". Apple have owned Logic for how long? 15 years? Longer, probably. So why hasn't it always been rock solid if the developers have access to the OS code-base? It's utterly inexcusable.
Both non-issues on Macs.
Also non-issues to PC users, who build their systems accordingly.
I don't have to worry about hi-dpi settings and some plugins not displaying properly and I never have to worry that I can't have multiple DAWs open at a time which I do all the time.
Neither does anyone who knows how to use a computer. I never have display issue because I have a display suited to the work I do. I regularly have Cubase or Orion open at the same time as Studio One, along with Zune and/or Ocen Audio or Audition, whilst also being able to hear sounds from my browser and sound from a standalone synth like Equator, and it all just works. Orion will try and hog everything to itself if I let it use the main I/O driver but as long as its on ASIO4all, everything plays nicely together.
Because Logic Pro X made a lot fo changes to the core of the application and when Logic Pro X came out Apple didn't have the team they have now. After Apple bought Camel and Redmatica development of Logic improved significantly. Apple prioritized Garageband over Logic.

Either way it has nothing to do with my comment on Studio One having issues since like I pointed out other DAWs on the platform don't have the same issues. You are trying to use whataboutism to make this into some kind of platform war or something.

Funny you don't know the difference between a hi-dpi and screen size but want to lecture me on not knowing how to use a computer. You are not inspiring confidence in your skill either. Higher resolution 4K screen mean higher pixel density and since those displays are usually newer they will have things like HDR, better/newer panel technology etc. So this whole buy a screen to suit your needs rhetoric you have going make no sense because you don't what my needs are. I like bigger screens (30+) and higher pixel density does make a difference on a monitor usually few feet from your face at those screen sizes.

I don't need nor have to care about using ASIO4ALL (which has it's own issues) on a Mac. I just connect my audio interface and as long as it's class compliant it just works. Great that you have the time and inclination to work on those issues but I don't. I want to make music not be tech support for myself. You also conveniently skipped the part about my TB interface which is far more important of an issue to me than hi-dpi and multi-client ASIO drivers.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

tooneba wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:13 am
apoclypse wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:53 am
BONES wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:10 am It seems to me the problem isn't the applications so much as the platform you run them on. If Apple can't make stable software for its own OS, then what hope is there? As I said above, I've had one crash in 3 months, but I didn't lose any work, and that was during my learning stage when I wasn't using it very well.

This statement make no sense imo. For one Logic is rock solid now. Secondly other software like Ableton/Bitwig run great with no major issues on Macs. S1 has been buggy on the Mac platform since release but now it's gotten ridiculous.
That's your personaal experience, right? Live has so many reports of macbook pro GUI lag/GPU hot issue in their centercode. You can't pretend it didn't happen.

I'm not on Ableton's center code so I have not seen or heard of those reports. I can only speak about my experience and in my experience Ableton runs rock solid. Also GUI lag (which S1 has had since forever before they metalized the interface in S1v5) isn't the same as the application literally crashing every time you try to remove a plugin from a project, or during a session. GUI Lag is fine to deal with for me as I have fairly large projects, but so far I haven't noticed any major lag on my end.

BONES wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:51 am
Crossinger wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:20 amI never used plugins with dedicated complex copy protection systems, e.g. iLok.
Why not? They make life so much easier. you don't have to worry about storing all your serial numbers, they keep track of everything for you. I'm not a fan of dongles but things like software iLok are great.
I‘m completely fine with Keepass as my serial number (and other music related stuff) storing tool.

But tools like iLok install themselves as an additional layer deep into the OS where it‘s nearly impossible to track all the details. So I consider them as „malware“ - by no means better than a virus.

Crossinger wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:53 pm But tools like iLok install themselves as an additional layer deep into the OS where it‘s nearly impossible to track all the details. So I consider them as „malware“ - by no means better than a virus.
Then nearly every software which adds a background service in your OS has to be considered a virus by you.

Apart from that, you really miss the point IMO. The thing with iLok is that you either - have to block one of your USB ports. Or - you have a software "vault" which includes your license, and which can go missing if you have a hard drive failure, for example, which can always happen. Those are the really shitty thing with such systems IMO.

For me, the best is C/R really. When you can activate the software with your login credentials for your account for the company, you basically have to do nothing than remember or copy paste those credentials. Best shit ever.

Why are we discussing copy protections again, BTW? Oh... right... KVR Audio. Understood. :P

chk071 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:02 pm For me, the best is C/R really. When you can activate the software with your login credentials for your account for the company, you basically have to do nothing than remember or copy paste those credentials. Best shit ever.
Until the company goes out of business, then your next activation will fail... :(
Or even worse, those developers that won't allow moving the license from one computer to another because they don't trust their customers.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:10 pm
chk071 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:02 pm For me, the best is C/R really. When you can activate the software with your login credentials for your account for the company, you basically have to do nothing than remember or copy paste those credentials. Best shit ever.
Until the company goes out of business, then your next activation will fail... :(
When it applies to about 0.1% of companies out there, and, especially the small ones with no backup plan up their sleeves, then it's not very relevant for me. I.e. realistic that there's a chance of it happening.

apoclypse wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:48 pmGreat that you have the time and inclination to work on those issues but I don't.
Are you stupid? I said that I have NO issues, that everything just works. I only included Orion in the interests of full disclosure but its development ended years ago, so it tends to be cranky with newer hardware and software. But at least I can still open it, something you couldn't say about most Mac software that's more than a few years old.
You also conveniently skipped the part about my TB interface which is far more important of an issue to me than hi-dpi and multi-client ASIO drivers.
I don't even know what a "TB interface" is, hence no comment. Although it occurs to me now that you mean Thunderbolt, not Terabyte, in which case all I can say is that you are typical of Mac users, so easily fooled by marketing hype. Why is it you think you need a Thunderbolt interface when most of us get by just fine with USB 1.2? Even my Overhub's aggregation of five separate USB audio streams isn't enough to fill out the bandwidth of USB 2.
Crossinger wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:53 pmBut tools like iLok install themselves as an additional layer deep into the OS where it‘s nearly impossible to track all the details. So I consider them as „malware“ - by no means better than a virus.
That is the stupidest thing I have read this week. Does iLok replicate itself? No, it doesn't, so it's not a virus in any way, shape or form. It provides security for users and vendors alike.
starflakeprj wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:10 pmOr even worse, those developers that won't allow moving the license from one computer to another because they don't trust their customers.
Like who? I've never had the tiniest problem. A couple of times I've emailed a company when I've run out of activations for one of the graphics applications I use and they have been more than happy to reset them for me.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:01 am
Crossinger wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:53 pmBut tools like iLok install themselves as an additional layer deep into the OS where it‘s nearly impossible to track all the details. So I consider them as „malware“ - by no means better than a virus.
That is the stupidest thing I have read this week. Does iLok replicate itself? No, it doesn't, so it's not a virus in any way, shape or form. It provides security for users and vendors alike.
You‘re welcome :shrug:

BONES wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:01 am
starflakeprj wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:10 pmOr even worse, those developers that won't allow moving the license from one computer to another because they don't trust their customers.
Like who? I've never had the tiniest problem. A couple of times I've emailed a company when I've run out of activations for one of the graphics applications I use and they have been more than happy to reset them for me.
I have experience from at least two or three developers not allowing moving a license from one computer to another. One of them are Anthropics. For two weeks they sent me copies of their EULA, offering me a 15% discount on new licenses, claiming they can't reset the license, and that the EULA is...the EULA. The third week I finally got through to them (sometimes i pays not giving up, even though I was ready doing so after a couple of email back and forth the first week). I am, what you can define as a, loyal customer owning all their software, but for the first time in about 10 years I was actually thinking of finding the cracked versions of their software.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:10 pm Or even worse, those developers that won't allow moving the license from one computer to another because they don't trust their customers.
Does that mean that you don't trust any of your fellow humans when you lock your front door or your car? ;)

chk071 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:37 pm
starflakeprj wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:10 pm Or even worse, those developers that won't allow moving the license from one computer to another because they don't trust their customers.
Does that mean that you don't trust any of your fellow humans when you lock your front door or your car? ;)
I trust everyone here, especially you, chk071 :)
I actually have forgotten to lock my front door twice, noticing first when getting home from work....oh the pictures running through my head when I notice the door is unlocked :P

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”