Why you left Bitwig?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Passing Bye wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:23 pm
Scoox wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:56 pm Well, that's not a very good analogy.
It's not perfect analogy, but still proves the same point.
one would hope love isnt equal to "well, they all do pretty much the same things, and with the odd workaround i can force it in to doing anything i need" :o

:lol:

:lol: :scared: :lol:
Last edited by Passing Bye on Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vurt wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:53 pm
Passing Bye wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:23 pm
Scoox wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:56 pm Well, that's not a very good analogy.
It's not perfect analogy, but still proves the same point.
one would hope love isnt equal to "well, they all do pretty much the same things, and with the odd workaround i can force it in to doing anything i need" :o

I've had friends say that is what chocolate is for

docbot wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:39 pmHaven't left and won't but I get why it's not getting major traction. There's certain design and usability aspects that don't make the software particularly easy to use on just a laptop with a trackpad
Nothing is easy to use with a trackpad. They are abominable things.
I feel they now have a sort of very technical competent nerdy user group
As opposed to the kind of horse's arse who takes his laptop to a cafe so he can be seen by cool people, doing cool things. I know which group I'd rather be associated with.
most you producers I know don't even own a mouse, they're almost all producing on Macbooks and Thinkpads on the go or lying in bed.
It sounds like all the producers you know are wankers. Smart people use tools that work they way they need them to, they don't try and adapt unsuited tools. If I wanted the inhabitants of my local cafe to see how big a wanker I am, I'd take my Surface Pro and work with the touchscreen or a stylus. I wouldn't even take the Type Cover. The Show Page in Studio One is great for that, I can look like a complete tosser without any effort at all.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:03 am
docbot wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:39 pmHaven't left and won't but I get why it's not getting major traction. There's certain design and usability aspects that don't make the software particularly easy to use on just a laptop with a trackpad
I totally disagree. If it's implemented well and consistently, like in S1 - or surprisingly Reason - then it's a very tactile method of controlling software, merging the best features of mouse and of touch screen. I can't see how e.g. turning a vertical wheel on a mouse with some modifier key is a natural way to have screen scrolling left/right or zooming in/out horizontally, as opposed to left/right swipes on a trackpad. Or how pinch-to-zoom works great with trackpads. Or how you can scroll your arrangement diagonally to get quicker where you want, etc. If given software is not designed - or at least adjusted - to work with touchpad then sure it might be a jarring experience, but that's very rare nowadays (e.g. Cubase is shit in that regard).

Obviously it's a matter of getting used to and building muscle memory, but that's the case with anything more complex than holding your d**k properly to avoid peeing on your shoes ;)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:15 am
BONES wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:03 am
I totally disagree. If it's implemented well and consistently, like in S1 - or surprisingly Reason - then it's a very tactile method of controlling software, merging the best features of mouse and of touch screen. I can't see how e.g. turning a vertical wheel on a mouse with some modifier key is a natural way to have screen scrolling left/right or zooming in/out horizontally, as opposed to left/right swipes on a trackpad. Or how pinch-to-zoom works great with trackpads. Or how you can scroll your arrangement diagonally to get quicker where you want, etc.
That's why I use the horizontal scroll wheel to scroll left/right. :D
Mouses evolved over the years . They come with extra buttons and wheels to which you can assign the the action you use most, on a per application base.

Rivanni wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:42 amThat's why I use the horizontal scroll wheel to scroll left/right. :D
Mouses evolved over the years . They come with extra buttons and wheels to which you can assign the the action you use most, on a per application base.
I'm sure they did. But one important - for me, at least - benefit of using a touchpad is no extra desk space required. I'm aware that's not an issue for most people, but it's huge for me.

Also, I'm not trying to say mice make things difficult or ar "abominable things".

I'm just trying to say touchpads are not.

It's a preference.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:18 am
Rivanni wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:42 amThat's why I use the horizontal scroll wheel to scroll left/right. :D
I'm sure they did. But one important - for me, at least - benefit of using a touchpad is no extra desk space required. I'm aware that's not an issue for most people, but it's huge for me.

Also, I'm not trying to say mice make things difficult or ar "abominable things".

I'm just trying to say touchpads are not.

It's a preference.
Sure thing.

I use the trackpad of my laptop. Just like with any other instrument one has to practice for a while to get decent results.

Call me a wanker but I love to snuggle up with my MacBook Pro™, no mouse required. Maybe I should go to a café tomorrow to see if I can find any of those cool people.

Dalle wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:21 pm Call me a wanker but I love to snuggle up with my MacBook Pro™, no mouse required. Maybe I should go to a café tomorrow to see if I can find any of those cool people.
Don't forget to get latest OSX before you set off :tu:

why is everyone hanging round coffee shops with lap tops? supposed to be musicians, not authors. :shrug:

vurt wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:49 pm why is everyone hanging round coffee shops with lap tops? supposed to be musicians, not authors. :shrug:
Are you married? :D
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

liquidsound wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:43 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:49 pm why is everyone hanging round coffee shops with lap tops? supposed to be musicians, not authors. :shrug:
nah, gave that up years ago.
bad for your health

vurt wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:46 pm
liquidsound wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:43 pm
nah, gave that up years ago.
bad for your health
Beside the fact that marriage is the major cause of divorce :hihi: coffee shops are required for the rest of us in “bad health “ :help:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”