Is it worth learning all music theory

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A long career as a consultant on Madonnian Harmony. :D

Does this mean I can get a Doctorate in Brutal Death Metal?
Prestissimo in Moto Perpetuo

vurt wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:13 pm
TrueStory wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:47 am It's definitely worth it to at least learn the basics so you know what's going on when you look at scales, chords and knowing what key your song is in.
id hope that was mentioned in the first 5 years :hihi:
That should be mentioned in the first day ha ha.

I think of it like this. You can get great sounds without music theory, but with music theory you will have a better idea of how to get great sounds and why they work.

Best of both worlds in the long run for me. I needed time to digest all that music theory stuff. A few years after my music study I got back to a more open mindset. I just felt music again. Now I let it happen. Even some in my ears good sounding exceptions to the rule.

Shabdahbriah wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:56 pm
Melkor wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:59 pm Music theory is required knowledge for selecting loops in the same key :D
Well crap {sigh}... that 'splains my problem. :dog:
WTF is a loop? :evil: :x :clown: :borg:
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

ChameleonMusic wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:26 pm
Melkor wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:59 pm Music theory is required knowledge for selecting loops in the same key :D
think he means a moebius strip maybe?

vurt wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:31 pm
ChameleonMusic wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:26 pm
think he means a moebius strip maybe?
Of course...should've realised that we were moving into the realms of three-dimensional Euclidean space...sorry, had a DOH! moment! :dog: :ud: :cry:
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

actually, you can just get an app to find the key for you. No theory required!

Don't even need a seperate app.
You can set the key in the host itself, and everything will fall in line.

Sounds handy at first, but it's a bitch if you want to deliberately layer a CMaj loop over a BMaj loop :)

Auto tempo-sync is one thing... Auto key-match is one step too far imho :D
Like sitting on a train, as opposed to driving a car.
Prestissimo in Moto Perpetuo

Music theory is great for approaching and understanding what musical tools composers have created in their compositions. Every age of music historically has had it own "rules" or stylistic similarities.

Will it help you create music?
Maybe, but it isn't necessary.

Will it help you figure out that really smooth chord progression that you love; allowing you to break it down into its component parts so you can use that knowledge in your own music going forward?
It can definitely help you with that.

I loved studying music theory, I use it whenever I'm trying to understand a new style or sound, but I've had lots of friends who didn't even know what chords/scales they were playing, but were amazing musicians just playing by ear! It was just tricky getting them onto the same page as everyone else and they ultimately learned the basics, which is really what's important.

If you like it, keep at it! Otherwise, you probably know what you need to now. Either way have fun!

Tl;Dr - Music theory is like any tool in the art world, do you need it? No. Can it help you? That's entirely up to you.
ShemS_76

I would learn it, at least learn the fundamentals necessary to gain a full understanding of the type of music you want to make.

They're not strict rules to follow, just a way to gain a better understanding of how notes will sound when configured in various ways, expanding your sonic palette in the process.

You still gotta use your ears as your main instrument, but theory will get that idea from your head to your recording/instrument much more effectively, while opening up additional music possibilities that you wouldn't have considered without that knowledge.

Every single person who's ever doodled at a piano, twanged through the 6 strings on a guitar for 5 mins, picked up a beater and experimented across the wooden notes of a xylophone has studied a little bit of music theory - no exceptions.

They may not have done it formally or deliberately, but they have studied it none-the-less.

How much music theory each individual musician needs is entirely up to them and those they musically collaborate with, but NONE of them (not a single one) can effectively take part in musical activities without at last some knowledge of it.

If anyone ever says to you:

"I'm a musician, but I've never studied music theory...didn't need it at all"

Just tell them that they're a 'douche' and walk away! :dog:

ChameleonMusic wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:21 pm Every single person who's ever doodled at a piano, twanged through the 6 strings on a guitar for 5 mins, picked up a beater and experimented across the wooden notes of a xylophone has studied a little bit of music theory - no exceptions.

They may not have done it formally or deliberately, but they have studied it none-the-less.

How much music theory each individual musician needs is entirely up to them and those they musically collaborate with, but NONE of them (not a single one) can effectively take part in musical activities without at last some knowledge of it.

studied it, but i dont use it.
same as science, did that at school as well, but other than blowing stuff up ocassionally, dont bother with most of it.
do i need to know what happens when you mix iodine and water?
if it doesnt explode, then no, of course not.
music theory is just another bit of science to me.
if i aint blowing stuff up, dont need it

what was the question?

vurt wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:33 pm
ChameleonMusic wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:21 pm Every single person who's ever doodled at a piano, twanged through the 6 strings on a guitar for 5 mins, picked up a beater and experimented across the wooden notes of a xylophone has studied a little bit of music theory - no exceptions.

studied it, but i dont use it.
same as science, did that at school as well, but other than blowing stuff up ocassionally, dont bother with most of it.
do i need to know what happens when you mix iodine and water?
if it doesnt explode, then no, of course not.
music theory is just another bit of science to me.
if i aint blowing stuff up, dont need it

what was the question?
Hiya Vurt - yeah, I get ya point and it's a valid one, but I do disagree though...

(Wrote this down at the time 15 yrs ago and used it in an article i was writing)
Had a kid in a class once who picked up an acoustic guitar for the very first time...
He messed around for about 15 mins and came up with a great little tune - catchy and quirky.
We briefly chatted about how he'd created it...these are HIS words:

"I experimented. Couldn't really do much, bloody strings don't half hurt ya fingers, sir.
jumped about a bit and found it sounded crap. Tried little steps instead and the tune suddenly clicked with just a big jump at the end after a repeat."

That pupil was totally inexperienced, but was already using music theory without even realising it...

Successful melodic construction generally involves lots of small steps and occasional larger leaps. It also involves a significant amount of repetition of ideas!

yeah, i was winding you up :hihi:

although, ive always preferred the idea, that rather than it being used at creation, it comes in to explain whats happened.

i dont "use" it in the sense that i dont think things through, i just see what happens.
obviously there will be unconciius use, even without studying, id be aiming for things that sit together somehow, which may be harmonic/disharmonic/rythmic and so on, which would be informed by taste, without study.

Return to “Music Theory”